• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streams Cardcaptor Sakura Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it's a "new" dub, at least to North America. It's some Animax Southeast Asian dub. It may or may not be good, but it'd probably just best to stick to the original.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
No mention of regions?

I assume those will come soon. As of a few moments ago, CR hasn't even posted the news on their own site (either in the the Site News section of the forum or the News section of the site).

Hopefully, like the Toradora dub and new subtitled version put up just the other day, it will be available to more than just the US and Canada.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
JustinGallimore wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
JustinGallimore wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Hope they're streaming it in 1080p.

Highly doubt that considering that the series came out over a decade ago. I'll be surprised if this show is in 720p still it will be an upscale and not in a native resolution.

I am pretty sure NISA has a new HD remaster. It would be moronic for Crunchyroll to not stream the new remaster HD version.

Guess we'll have to see then, I can't imagine anyone watching this now, I don't recall an "HD Remastered" being requested but I'm sure the sales won't be any good.

If the sales won't be good, it will be due to the way NISA is pricing this, and not at all with the level of interest. Sakura was one of the biggest animes to come to America back in the late 90s, probably only behind Pokemon, DBZ, and Sailor Moon. The love and interest is there. You strike me as someone who was born around the time Cardcaptor disappeared from America, and therefore have no clue what it really is.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey, $179 for 70 episodes on BD, plus the included artbook, isn't bad at all. It just seems like a lot because it's all at once.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
That's nice it will be streaming too. I'd imagine many people without the nostalgia factor wouldn't want to get a physical copy unless they could see and therefore judge the show. Hopefully it will catch the interest of more people. I have to admit my love of CCS is the only reason I pre-ordered the Blu-ray. That, and I assume it's an upgrade to what I already have on DVD. Can't say my opinion of the set yet though. My copy was forgotten a little by the postal people and isn't arriving for a bit yet.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
That, and I assume it's an upgrade to what I already have on DVD. Can't say my opinion of the set yet though.

Some people don't have to assume, screenshots of the BDs are out there if you're not one to download an episode and check it out for yourself. Aside from some degraining, which may be more due to the compressed fansub, they look great.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool the price tag to get it is a little high for me blood to get it now
angieness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I bought it and it looks really nice on BD. I haven't checked out the dub yet as I've been watching it subbed. It fortunately aged pretty well.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
>Dub

I hope they mean a new dub.

I hear it's actually an old dub, but one that wasn't produced or previously distributed in America; it was made by Animax, a company in Southeast Asia. In other words, it's not the Americanized "Cardcaptors" and is more accurate to the original script, but... it's not really that good, either. Though I'll admit it's one of the better dubs made by Animax, unlike the one they did for Fairy Tail... *shudder*

Last edited by immblueversion on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
If the sales won't be good, it will be due to the way NISA is pricing this, and not at all with the level of interest.

https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/485963749451255809

Justin Sevakis wrote:
Learned this weekend that the Cardcaptor Sakura box is selling like hotcakes. It's limited edition, so better act quick if you want it! #yay

If there's anything to worry about sales-wise, it's the DVDs because for those three sets, they used STACKpak packaging for them.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
No mention of regions?

USA and Canada only, unfortunately.

This is per http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-860883/updated-daily-crunchyroll-is-going-to-otakon (scroll to the bottom of the first message in that topic).
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the movies were put on Blu-ray in Japan? If this set is selling well you'd think NIS would look into them too (I know that Discotek has the first one on DVD but I'd prefer Bluray if possible)
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
^ I think discotek announced they are releasing a blu ray version next year. They did the same thing for blue submarine and theyre also doing it for Jin Roh. I know Bandai put at least one of the CCS movies on blu ray ( in a pink case no less). I'm kinda disappointed that the DVD release in the video was a stack pack. Id love the blu ray, but I can't afford it right now, so I'll probably stick with one or two of the DVDs. If they do a later standard edition blu ray maybe get that.

As for this news it's great. Only thing, for older series like this does Crunchyroll put up all the episodes at once or do they put them up weekly/monthly/etc. And will they also be available from the beginning to non premium members?

Last edited by kevinx59 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Azure-Wind91 wrote:
Does anyone know if the movies were put on Blu-ray in Japan? If this set is selling well you'd think NIS would look into them too (I know that Discotek has the first one on DVD but I'd prefer Bluray if possible)

They were.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
No words... only joy...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4