• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streams Cardcaptor Sakura Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
katscradle wrote:
That, and I assume it's an upgrade to what I already have on DVD. Can't say my opinion of the set yet though.

Some people don't have to assume, screenshots of the BDs are out there if you're not one to download an episode and check it out for yourself. Aside from some degraining, which may be more due to the compressed fansub, they look great.

Ah, clearly I haven't been looking hard enough or in the right places. But, yeah I'm kind of a stickler for official products.

angieness wrote:

I bought it and it looks really nice on BD. I haven't checked out the dub yet as I've been watching it subbed. It fortunately aged pretty well.

Great!
Now I'm looking forward to watching it even more.
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
JustinGallimore wrote:

Highly doubt that considering that the series came out over a decade ago. I'll be surprised if this show is in 720p still it will be an upscale and not in a native resolution.

JustinGallimore wrote:

Guess we'll have to see then, I can't imagine anyone watching this now, I don't recall an "HD Remastered" being requested but I'm sure the sales won't be any good.

Are you joking? Sorry but everything you said is so wrong its funny.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't think you know how well loved and cherished Sakura's been, even with that hacked up Cardcaptors floating around.

To quote AzD, beware falling victim to Sakura's Evil Cuteness. Very Happy

Basically, what never hits you until you're hooked a half-dozen episodes in is that the original JP series somehow does everything a mahou-shoujou series should do, RIGHT. And without irony or squickily deliberate otaku pandering, like Madoka Magica's false front.
It's a show for kids, that's smartly enough put together that anybody can watch.

Sakura's cuteness is cute, her cold-feet "Ho-eee Anime smile + sweatdrop " moments are funny without being mo-eee, the MOTW's are elegantly CLAMP-designed, the fights/chases are dynamically fast-moving, the best friends are funny characters too, the story-arc plot teases you with just enough strangeness to lead you into addiction, and even the Cute Sidekick Critter is funny...How often does THAT happen??

immblueversion wrote:
I hear it's actually an old dub, but one that wasn't produced or previously distributed in America; it was made by Animax, a company in Southeast Asia. In other words, it's not the Americanized "Cardcaptors" and is more accurate to the original script, but... it's not really that good, either. Though I'll admit it's one of the better dubs made by Animax, unlike the one they did for Fairy Tail... *shudder*

(Or Gakuen Alice. They were newer, back then.)

Animax CAN do good dubs when they put enough of the network behind it, like Sgt. Frog or Nodame Cantabile.
Unlike, ahem, some Frog-dubbing studios, they get the tone and humor of the original series, and know how to approximate the characters...Maybe not A-1 dub acting, but certainly in Disney Doraemon territory.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
JustinGallimore wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Hope they're streaming it in 1080p.

Highly doubt that considering that the series came out over a decade ago. I'll be surprised if this show is in 720p still it will be an upscale and not in a native resolution.

I am pretty sure NISA has a new HD remaster. It would be moronic for Crunchyroll to not stream the new remaster HD version.

I got my set today and checked it out and by the looks of it, it seems about the same quality as the original Geneon DVDs which by all accounts was a good quality but it doesn't seem any higher resolution than that. It's still constrained in a 4:3 ratio but I don't know if they could have matted it to 16:9 without making it look wonky.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
It's still constrained in a 4:3 ratio but I don't know if they could have matted it to 16:9 without making it look wonky.

That's the worst you could do as it was produced in 4:3...
Quote:
I got my set today and checked it out and by the looks of it, it seems about the same quality as the original Geneon DVDs which by all accounts was a good quality but it doesn't seem any higher resolution than that.

Anyone got screenshots of this release, along with timestamps for them? This is one non-import BD I might consider but I'd rather be sure it measures up to the JP BD.
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
JustinGallimore wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Hope they're streaming it in 1080p.

I am pretty sure NISA has a new HD remaster. It would be moronic for Crunchyroll to not stream the new remaster HD version.

I got my set today and checked it out and by the looks of it, it seems about the same quality as the original Geneon DVDs which by all accounts was a good quality but it doesn't seem any higher resolution than that. It's still constrained in a 4:3 ratio but I don't know if they could have matted it to 16:9 without making it look wonky.

If you were to look at side by side comparison you'd notice a difference.
The remaster is much improved over the old Pioneer/Geneon release. The Pioneer/Geneon release were more cropped & the colors were off(Tomoyo has light skin but she's not albino).

4:3 ratio should always still be constrained in a 4:3 ratio.

Hopefully there will be screenshots of the blu-ray soon but here is a DVD comparison of the old R1 and new Japanese remaster DVD from a few years ago.

Pioneer DVD: http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2014/05/02/R1-2.png

Remaster DVD: http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2014/05/02/R2-2.png
ay
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Thouggh Animax or Odex dubs might be more faithful than some of their American (wonder how CR got this and not the Nelvana dub), the voices can be horrendous (I've even seen people comment on YT videos of the Odex One Piece dub that the voices were worse the 4kids version).
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Already own the bluray, F'yeah! But I'm happy to see it available on Crunchyroll for people who can't afford it at this time or who don't want to drop money on a series they haven't seen.

Now I just need a bluray release of the 2nd movie. I thought the 1st movie was okay, but I absolutely love the 2nd movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
And here's the obvious question: which dub is it? From what I've been told the dub included on the blu ray is the Animax dub, and I hope to God that CR wouldn't waste any money on that. So the only thing left is Cardcaptors.
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Kurama4Ever! wrote:
And here's the obvious question: which dub is it? From what I've been told the dub included on the blu ray is the Animax dub, and I hope to God that CR wouldn't waste any money on that. So the only thing left is Cardcaptors.

Crunchyroll wouldn't make a new dub, its far too expensive even for NIS. Hell it was too expensive for Pioneer back when they were at their prime.
It will obviously be the Animax dub on Crunchyroll.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure this will be the Animax dub, which isn't great, but better than you'd expect. Most Animax dubs produced with Omni Productions actually had actors from the US and Canada, even though they're actually recorded in Hong Kong. They mostly just suffered from rushed recording schedules, and a small pool of voices (I can only name 8). From what I've heard, their CCS dub isn't terrible (I LOVE Andrea Kwan's voice for Sakura), but only really worth watching if you really can't stand subtitles. It's mostly uncut though, but the copy NISA has does have a couple scenes removed.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Like that Crunchyroll is showing more dubbed anime. I'll give the Animax dub a chance. From what I heard, it wasn't bad to me, so it'll be interesting going back to the series.
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
If the sales won't be good, it will be due to the way NISA is pricing this, and not at all with the level of interest.

https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/485963749451255809

Justin Sevakis wrote:
Learned this weekend that the Cardcaptor Sakura box is selling like hotcakes. It's limited edition, so better act quick if you want it! #yay

If there's anything to worry about sales-wise, it's the DVDs because for those three sets, they used STACKpak packaging for them.

Show me the actual sale numbers not a random tweet LOL, and also I saw some HD screen shots of the show and I wasn't very impressed.
ムギまる

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
And without irony or squickily deliberate otaku pandering, like Madoka Magica's false front.

Oh the butthurt................. Laughing
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:

As for this news it's great. Only thing, for older series like this does Crunchyroll put up all the episodes at once or do they put them up weekly/monthly/etc. And will they also be available from the beginning to non premium members?

In CR's own news section, it was reported that all 70 subtitled episodes can be expected on Tuesday, "along with the English dub episodes as produced".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4