• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - High On Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
This week Answerman was interesting to read, yeah about Branko's question. Actually I'm not surprised that Hulu would close it's door in Japan and sell their unit to Nippon TV. Hulu announced it on their blog early of this year. Streaming in Japan is not exactly quick to adapt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Hulu wasn't that successful in Japan, actually. I really dislike the idea of abandoning physical media for digital. It's nice to know Japan still has a healthy physical media presence and demand. I find it disappointing when resistance to on-demand content is seen as bad or "backwards", though.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
This is a great column. Very informative and interesting. I look forward to it every week. I just wish that Justin would reply to one of MY questions for once. :'(
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Also, now that I think about it, Discotek has the only DVD release of Mad Bull 34.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
I'm glad Hulu wasn't that successful in Japan, actually. I really dislike the idea of abandoning physical media for digital. It's nice to know Japan still has a healthy physical media presence and demand. I find it disappointing when resistance to on-demand content is seen as bad or "backwards", though.

What's wrong with adapting to new tech, they're useful and very convinience for me. I mean I prefer to watch anime online then getting it on DVD/blu-ray (unless if it's a show I really love a lot, then yeah I'll buy it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSterling

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
One point that may be missing is the REC button that the Japanese have for their Blu-Ray players/Recorders. Like the heyday of our VCR era, Japan can still archive their shows readily with their Blu-Ray players to Blu-Ray, heck they have a device that allows their PS3/PS4s to record TV.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

Their are a ton of other reasons to despise hulu (their business model for one),the reason you stated above,isn't one of them.

in fact the reverse seems to happen when they discover that they are paying for ads.

The desire for physical media does in fact still exist in the good old US of A,where do you live where that is true?
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
gloverrandal wrote:

What's wrong with adapting to new tech, they're useful and very convinience for me. I mean I prefer to watch anime online then getting it on DVD/blu-ray (unless if it's a show I really love a lot, then yeah I'll buy it).

As far as anime goes the Japanese have no reason to use a service like Hulu, since it airs on TV in Japan. They watch it on TV and then buy the BDs. You watch it online and then buy the BDs. They can DVR it if they want to watch it later.

In this case there's no need to "adapt to new tech" since what they're using, and have been using for a while now works perfectly fine Very Happy.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

As far as anime goes the Japanese have no reason to use a service like Hulu, since it airs on TV in Japan. They watch it on TV and then buy the BDs. You watch it online and then buy the BDs. They can DVR it if they want to watch it later.

In this case there's no need to "adapt to new tech" since what they're using, and have been using for a while now works perfectly fine Very Happy.

I kinda like the new tech better, although I like watching movie on DVD/blu-ray but I like watching stuff via streaming. Anyway, Japan is pretty slow when it comes to new tech.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Late night anime basically requires hardcore fans to drop a lot of money on discs. No amount of streaming or digital download is going to bring in the $100,000 to $250,000 an episode required to keep making the stuff. Sure they can also supported via networks of other merchandise like manga, figures, character goods, CDs, etc., but original series won't have all that stuff initially ready to go, meaning they live and die by the disc sales. And if it's not selling the discs and creating momentum, chances are none of that stuff is getting produced either.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dubbing a show is a very expensive prospect, so you can bet the companies only do it when they're pretty darn sure they'll make their investment back.

I think it could be argued that, up until that blahblahimoutoblahblah show, FUNimation's insistence on dubbing everything (included stuff foisted on them in package deals) was at least partially out of sheer bloody mindedness - I can't imagine that stuff like Mamotte Lollipop sold gangbusters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

I kinda like the new tech better, although I like watching movie on DVD/blu-ray but I like watching stuff via streaming. Anyway, Japan is pretty slow when it comes to new tech.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not embracing new tech. Personally I don't have a tablet, and i'll probably never buy one as I cannot see why'd I ever need one. I've got PC, a laptop and a cell phone, and I feel absolutely no need, or desire, to get a tablet.

But yeah, I see no harm in sticking to what works & isn't broken. Japan has achieved a lot of amazing things without adopting certain new tech Wink.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

I think it could be argued that, up until that blahblahimoutoblahblah show, FUNimation's insistence on dubbing everything (included stuff foisted on them in package deals) was at least partially out of sheer bloody mindedness - I can't imagine that stuff like Mamotte Lollipop sold gangbusters.

Perhaps. It is also possible that Funimation's dubbing system requires a certain number of shows to work. If you have enough shows in the pipeline then since the actors get paid by the hour and not the role you can then convert from $x per show to $y per month.

This would allow you to retain your talent and cycle through a variety of actors. As long as there are enough shows in the pipe and the skill of your actors etc rises then the cost of dubbing per show drops allowing you to dub even low sellers and not lose your shirt. You will then end up with a fixed cost for dubbing per year and thus the more shows you have in the pipe the lower your overhead per show.

You can then change your thinking from "I need this much revenue on this show to break even" to " I need this much total revenue from all my shows to break even." The first system requires you to only pick high revenue or low acquisition cost shows while the second will allow you to pick up anything as long as you think it will bring in a certain minimum in sales.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Great Answerman. I know Sentai still redubs some of their series ( like MM, Nyan Koi, and Mayo Chiki). I'm hoping they do the same for Waiting in the Summer. (or at least a blu ray).

My local Harkins theater is showing the Dragonball Z movie, which is really surprising, considering we didn't even get the Wind Rises. Then again the theater by my University was showing the Pokemon Black and White movies.

I seem to recall hearing that only scattered episodes of Pokemon were released on dvd in Japan, with no complete sets available. Searching on Amazon JP, I cant find any full releases other than the movies. Also, while Funimation released Black Blood Brothers and Heroic Age on blu ray, Japan only seems to have dvds.
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting Answerman this week.

The subject of going back and dubbing a show made me think about Loveless. I wonder if it was beneficial for Media Blasters. The series had already been released in a collection. There also wasn't the stronger manga connection in English at the time either since Tokyopop had stopped putting out new volumes a few years previous. As I remember the vocal collection was dirt cheap too. Though, the only reason I own Media Blasters' release of it in my collection is because they finally dubbed it. Still, I'm having a hard time thinking there would be a lot of people who had passed on the show or, avenues opened for more exposure before because of that. I'm not sure how many fans double-dipped either as the buzz on the dub was not the best.

Still, I'm ever so happy when companies decide there is a reason to dub a show that was sub-only previously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3