• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hideo Kojima, del Toro, Walking Dead's Reedus Work on Next Silent Hill

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I played the demo last night at 2 am and you NEED too if you own a PS4. 9/10
I have played every horror game ever and the game scared me twice. The last game that did that was Amnesia 1. I am VERY impressed. It also looks better then Watchdogs and the sound is state of the art. Kojima (and Ryan Gosling !?!) is always a plus even if Ground Zeroes should have been a free demo with Castlevania 2. The only negative is final loop of the demo(the phone part) and all the zooming. That is way too confusing. I needed sleep so i had to look up last 5 minutes on twitch but good god what an announcement.
Evil Within in 2 months, a Resident Evil remaster, a Parasyte anime and this ! I have gone to survival horror heaven ! The genre is finally back and so is the franchise. The last good one was Shattered Memories and that focused on story and a feeling of loneliness not scares.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Whats funny about all of this is that by the developers own admission, Silent Hill is actually a very western influenced horror series. The entire series takes from a more western view of horror then it does a Japanese one.

A lot of fans seem to forget that one of the series biggest inspirations was the movie Jacob's Ladder.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Here is a interview with Kojima about the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAeDP_lUPI4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Whats funny about all of this is that by the developers own admission, Silent Hill is actually a very western influenced horror series. The entire series takes from a more western view of horror then it does a Japanese one.

That's a common misconception. People see western characters and settings and assume something is just like western produced media. Style exists beyond nationality. It can also cover gameplay mechanics and how the story is presented to the viewer and player. One could never mix up Dead Space and Amnesia with Siren and Silent Hill, for example.

As it stands, all the Japanese produced games have been critically acclaimed while the western produced ones have been typically critically scorned. Despite this alleged western view of horror, the west is not very successful at imitating it. I don't consider Silent Hill a western take on horror any more than I do Castlevania simply because it uses Universal monsters. It's possible to be influenced by a media piece from one culture and still produce something very unique to your own culture. We see it all the time on television.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
It really says a lot when a franchise that was once considered the pinnacle of horror gaming is reduced to using an actor from the Walking Dead series to generate hype.

Yeah, I thought that the picture was a mistake at first until reading more. Though, I wonder if Kojima's sudden interest in bringing in bigger western actors, like he did with Kiefer Sutherland, had something to do with the choice. I don't have any particular problem with Norman Reedus, but it does disappoint me to see facial capture replacing character design. I'm all for using it to get more realistic performances, but it seems awfully easy for it to result in more studios wanting "bigger" actors at the expense of coming up with their own designs.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

A lot of fans seem to forget that one of the series biggest inspirations was the movie Jacob's Ladder.

The problem is that Team Silent let Jacob's Ladder remain an inspiration. The team behind Homecoming however flat out ripped off Jacob's Ladder.

The criticism of Homecoming and Downpour is totally justified and is not just a blind West vs. Japan issue.

Homecoming had Pyramid Head embarrassingly misused (and then Silent Hill Revelations managed to portray him even worse. Geezus), the cast was as one-dimensional as you can get (and Josh was such a brat spoiler[regardless of the fact he wasn't really there]. Hey brother, how about you let me through the door and then we'll get your stupid toy? God, at least Laura in SH 2 had a reason for not trusting James), the character models were awful (SH 3 had more detailed character models. Let that info sink in), the hotel had almost every room use the same bed/dresser/bathroom layout (SH 1 had more variety in room design! That's a PS 1 game, for gods' sake!), the game was super-buggy, the monsters were mostly lazy redesigns of existing monsters from prior games (and badly colored, the nurses were too well-lit for example), the flashlight was so dim you could barely tell what you were even looking at at times, the sound editing was bad so the score could barely be heard or even just disappeared completely at times (way to respect Yamaoka's final work on the series), the human enemies with guns who say stuff like, "gonna get you, boy!" is so mind blowing in how it shows this creative team had zero understanding in how horror works on any level, and the plot twist is a massive contradiction: spoiler[so Alex was never a soldier, eh? UM, except the whole reason for the Zelda-style combat (because nothing screams horror like combo and power attacks, right?) was Alex was supposed to be a soldier, and the sheriff (who would know the truth) even gives Alex a shotgun. You know, SH 2 actually put thought into its twist and made sure it fit. Homecoming sure didn't.]

Downpour is nowhere near as atrocious but still pretty bad. The difference is the team behind Downpour at least had good ideas, they were just badly executed. Now the monster design was hilariously awful (wet woman? Shirtless dude? SERIOUSLY?!), no excuse there, but the characterization of the cast was decent (especially the postman, but he was actually a creation of the one good SH comic, so Downpour didn't create him). However, the voice acting had some issues (Murphy's screams are hilarious to listen to), most areas were too well-lit to be scary, the story wasn't as strong as it could be (spoiler[especially if you get the Good ending where Sewell flat out says Murphy couldn't finish off his son's killer. So then why is Murphy being psychologically tormented in SH if he didn't do anything? Also, the idea that each area was a different character's psychological experience is a great idea but was totally underutilized]), there are texture-loading and frame-rate issues, and overall the game just doesn't work as horror.

After all that, it's not that unreasonable that I have more faith in Kojima and del Toro to handle a SH game compared to the prior two installments. Maybe it won't match SH 1-3 or even 4 and Shattered Memories in quality, but I would be insanely shocked if it was on par or worse than Homecoming or Downpour.

Also, I'm certainly fine with Norman Reedus' likeness being used for the protagonist. Has to automatically be better than the uneven character model of Murphy (nothing screams horror like watching your main character's shirt load in while playing) or Alex (hey, how about we make a character model that has less detail than Silent Hill 3?! GOD, Homecoming is a disaster!).
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
@gloverrandal

Um no, because nothing I said had anything to do with the actual visuals. Please as if I would simply think that oh it looks western it must be. I'm sorry we don't all think like you. Nothing you said about same made up misconception has anything to do with what I said.

Silent Hill has many inspirations from Steven King, Jacob's ladder, and Lovecraft. The entire first game is filled with western author allusions and Lovecraftain mythos. Akira Yamaoka's even stated his soundtrack was quite unlike anything the Japanese had heard and surprised the Japanese development team on the first game.

SH draws a lot from western horror in its thematics and storytelling. Japanese horror is a lot different.

Of course I don't know why I'm telling you this since you have a narrow minded few on what is western. Then went on this hilarious misconception about visuals. We weren't talking about something as shallow as visuals.

But please tells us more as you attempt to deride western things. All western horror is just Dead Space and Amnesia right. Never mind that things like Alone in the Dark existed far before any of these games, but that dosen't count because it's western. Never mind that plenty of horror games made that aren't just Amnesia. Though in the end your constant critique of that is so shallow. It comes down that it's in first person(oh and that its western) and nothing more. It was almost lawl inducing to see you claim that those games had no atmosphere(sure) and then say they are just jump scares.

Yes because SH never had jump scares except for that cat in the first game. None after that.

Whatever your bias on these things is extremely annoying and obvious. Yes downplay SH's obvious influence from western horror because I guess that means you have to give the west some credit. Who wants to do that, nope nope "see SH may have taken influence but of course since it's Japanese it did it so much better".

Do you ever get tired of this shtick?

Of course if a western thing took influence from a Japanese thing, you'd be the first to tell us how it got it wrong and was bad. I'm sure I can find those posts to, I should start in any thread regarding Pacific Rim.

But it's ok, this new Silent Hill is made by Japanese people. So you can like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

The problem is that Team Silent let Jacob's Ladder remain an inspiration. The team behind Homecoming however flat out ripped off Jacob's Ladder.

The criticism of Homecoming and Downpour is totally justified and is not just a blind West vs. Japan issue.

Homecoming had Pyramid Head embarrassingly misused (and then Silent Hill Revelations managed to portray him even worse. Geezus), the cast was as one-dimensional as you can get (and Josh was such a brat spoiler[regardless of the fact he wasn't really there]. Hey brother, how about you let me through the door and then we'll get your stupid toy? God, at least Laura in SH 2 had a reason for not trusting James), the character models were awful (SH 3 had more detailed character models. Let that info sink in), the hotel had almost every room use the same bed/dresser/bathroom layout (SH 1 had more variety in room design! That's a PS 1 game, for gods' sake!), the game was super-buggy, the monsters were mostly lazy redesigns of existing monsters from prior games (and badly colored, the nurses were too well-lit for example), the flashlight was so dim you could barely tell what you were even looking at at times, the sound editing was bad so the score could barely be heard or even just disappeared completely at times (way to respect Yamaoka's final work on the series), the human enemies with guns who say stuff like, "gonna get you, boy!" is so mind blowing in how it shows this creative team had zero understanding in how horror works on any level, and the plot twist is a massive contradiction: spoiler[so Alex was never a soldier, eh? UM, except the whole reason for the Zelda-style combat (because nothing screams horror like combo and power attacks, right?) was Alex was supposed to be a soldier, and the sheriff (who would know the truth) even gives Alex a shotgun. You know, SH 2 actually put thought into its twist and made sure it fit. Homecoming sure didn't.]

Downpour is nowhere near as atrocious but still pretty bad. The difference is the team behind Downpour at least had good ideas, they were just badly executed. Now the monster design was hilariously awful (wet woman? Shirtless dude? SERIOUSLY?!), no excuse there, but the characterization of the cast was decent (especially the postman, but he was actually a creation of the one good SH comic, so Downpour didn't create him). However, the voice acting had some issues (Murphy's screams are hilarious to listen to), most areas were too well-lit to be scary, the story wasn't as strong as it could be (spoiler[especially if you get the Good ending where Sewell flat out says Murphy couldn't finish off his son's killer. So then why is Murphy being psychologically tormented in SH if he didn't do anything? Also, the idea that each area was a different character's psychological experience is a great idea but was totally underutilized]), there are texture-loading and frame-rate issues, and overall the game just doesn't work as horror.

After all that, it's not that unreasonable that I have more faith in Kojima and del Toro to handle a SH game compared to the prior two installments. Maybe it won't match SH 1-3 or even 4 and Shattered Memories in quality, but I would be insanely shocked if it was on par or worse than Homecoming or Downpour.

Also, I'm certainly fine with Norman Reedus' likeness being used for the protagonist. Has to automatically be better than the uneven character model of Murphy (nothing screams horror like watching your main character's shirt load in while playing) or Alex (hey, how about we make a character model that has less detail than Silent Hill 3?! GOD, Homecoming is a disaster!).

I agree on everything on about Homecoming(that level design was a joke) but other than the smog and dog enemys the monsters weren't rehashed and well(Asphyxia was really well designed).

Now Downpour had it's issues but I thought it was solid. It actually did something that other games failed at by actually making ammo scarce(hell you didn't even get a gun for the first 2 hours) along with only being able to hold two weapons at a time. Now this would worked better if the monsters were scary,but the atmosphere was great and it had it's creepy moments(the movie theater and the dead man's hand sidequest come to mind). The level design was solid and the puzzles were a return to form. The game also had the pretty solid voice acting which was leagues ahead of any game in the series.

If the team were given another chance they probably could've made a really good sequel,but it was obvious that Konami just treated it as some throwaway title considering the game released with zero advertising whatsoever.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
I agree on everything on about Homecoming(that level design was a joke) but other than the smog and dog enemys the monsters weren't rehashed and well(Asphyxia was really well designed).

Now Downpour had it's issues but I thought it was solid. It actually did something that other games failed at by actually making ammo scarce(hell you didn't even get a gun for the first 2 hours) along with only being able to hold two weapons at a time. Now this would worked better if the monsters were scary,but the atmosphere was great and it had it's creepy moments(the movie theater and the dead man's hand sidequest come to mind). The level design was solid and the puzzles were a return to form. The game also had the best voice acting of the series IMO (none of the original games were even passable).

If the team were given another chance they probably could've made a really good sequel,but it was obvious that Konami just treated it as some throwaway title considering the game released with zero advertising whatsoever.

-the nurses were rehashed. Also, the bugs were new, but just didn't work, I pretty much never found bugs scary in these types of games (same with RE 0).

-I guess we'll agree to disagree on the other aspects of Downpour, but it was mainly Murphy's voice that irked me at times. Sometimes it worked, other times the performance fell flat. Also, I think Heather's voice in SH 3 (original, never will play the HD collection) was great, but that's just me.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Downpour is nowhere near as atrocious but still pretty bad. The difference is the team behind Downpour at least had good ideas, they were just badly executed.

Whoever was the creative director for the designs on Downpour really missed out on a lot of good concepts. Here's one of the artists' ideas for Downpour.
http://chrisrosewarne.com/images/work/silenthill2/1/1.jpg
Instead of using something that nice concept, they choose this mess http://innerfear.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/shd11.jpg
Quote:
Also, I'm certainly fine with Norman Reedus' likeness being used for the protagonist. Has to automatically be better than the uneven character model of Murphy (nothing screams horror like watching your main character's shirt load in while playing) or Alex (hey, how about we make a character model that has less detail than Silent Hill 3?! GOD, Homecoming is a disaster!).[/url]

I'm kinda mixed on picking a well known actor for a game but I do like Norman Reedus. But the protagonist looks way too Hollywoodish than the other protags (not including Alex or whatever the guys name in Downpour).
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there is anything "Hollywood" about the way Norman Reedus looks. He certainly is'nt a pretty boy and some very clean cut looking guy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
There is a part in PT that does just that. The hyper camera freak outs and twitching dark figures at the end of halls. I really can't wait to play it.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I don't have any particular problem with Norman Reedus, but it does disappoint me to see facial capture replacing character design.

I'd bet 20 bucks it's just Kojima's new thing given MGS5.

doctordoom85 wrote:
the story wasn't as strong as it could be spoiler[especially if you get the Good ending where Sewell flat out says Murphy couldn't finish off his son's killer. So then why is Murphy being psychologically tormented in SH if he didn't do anything? ]

The biggest issue with Downpour and Homecoming is they just try to recycle the plot to Silent Hill 2, including the token "shock" plot twist of the hero having a dark secret. The issue being it loses it's impact when it becomes a staple in the series people expect already. It only happened in 2, originally, which was why it was so great. The original four Silent Hills were all vastly different from one another and doing different things, though tied together through the Cult. The recent games just seem like they're recycling the formula from 2 over and over of a guy with a dark past facing his demons. Not necessary a bad idea, but a repetitive one that loses its luster after seeing it so many times.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
FACT: Anyone who dislikes a game based on the country of development cannot be called a gamer. Who cares where a game comes from? As long as it's got good gameplay and good interactive activity, it doesn't matter. Also, why do you guys like Metal Gear? The designs look no less "dudebroish" than the "dudebro games", the voice acting sounds like a western game, not a dub, because of recoding, the music was done by a westerner, there isn't a single big eyed character in Metal Gear, the characters are western, western storytelling and film were influences, etc, etc. So western stuff is only good when the Japanese do it? Hypocrites.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
The designs look no less "dudebroish" than the "dudebro games"

No way, man. Did you see the Bishi naked Raidan, all the flamboyantly gay moments, and general goofy bosses and atmosphere and humor the series has? Call of Duty and Battlefield are mature and sophisticated games and would never be caught dead doing anything so childish like that. C'mon, MGS punishes you for killing people and prefers you to avoid and spare terrorist's lives, what kinda war game is that? You're suppose to kill all the enemies, not let em live. Hopefully Kojima grows up with MGS5, but seeing stuff like fultoning goats and those silly pin-up box distractions make me think he's still making is work too video-gamey to really progress the medium much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3