• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Arise English Dub Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Reading the complaints that Arise doesn't have the Stand Alone Complex dub cast makes me want to dip my head into a bucket of sulfuric acid. Arise isn't Stand Alone Complex. It's a different incarnation of GitS. And therefore there is no actual reason to have the same English dub cast when even the Japanese cast is different. It would have been nice, sure, but if you're refusing to buy this solely on that reason, you're being unreasonable. Give it a chance.

The English dub sounds like it'll at least be decent and this OVA is good besides that. I'll probably be picking it up and watch in both languages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't feel any real need to tie this to Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, which is a little unexpected, because I really like that series. Perhaps it's because it's been quite a few years and Ghost in the Shell Arise looks quite different. I also adored Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn's performance as Major Kusanagi, but I find that I have no trouble accepting Elizabeth Maxwell in the part. I rather liked what I heard; it's a lighter tone than McGlynn used, but serious with a hint of an edge. It might not strictly sound like what I'd imagine a younger version of the major from Stand Alone Complex to sound like, but I can't feel compelled to use that as a standard. Standing on her own, I think she sounds very promising, I hope that she's as effective in other parts of her range and that the rest of the cast suffices too.

Christopher Sabat sounded just fine too, although the selection was limited, despite my always associating Richard Epcar with his excellent portrayal of the part.

I'll probably watch this one of these days, although I'm not really excited for it.

u6064vision wrote:
Quite the entitled bunch in here that feel like they are owed something.

Let's just drop sneering at people for being, "entitled," because it's degraded into just being Otaku Rhetorical Shtick #6229. I think that the people scorning this for not having the Stand Alone Complex cast are being needlessly uncharitable and rigid, but I don't see how that's really in any way significant and meaningful enough to call out as entitlement. At this point, you're damned near wanting people not to talk unless they say things that you approve of and dressing that up as their problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hojo 360

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
u6064vision wrote:
Quite the entitled bunch in here that feel like they are owed something. As soon as the casting announcements were made you guys already made it clear that you aren't giving much in return like a purchase of this release anyways right? Don't act as if you are surprised and keep harping on this Epcar brigade over and over. You knew exactly what you were getting with Sabat.
Everything is soooo good with this dub funi is the best i can't wait to buy this set omg it's perfect!!!!! that's what you wanna hear right?
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I really do need to start watching GITS. I've seen random episodes on Toonami, but I need to actually watch it all one of these days. Maybe this prequel will give me the incentive?
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Personally I find it ridiculous anyone even expected them to keep SAC's cast. It's been very clearly stated in the past that they changed out the entire Japanese cast having the characters' younger ages in mind. If the licensor didn't force Funi to switch up the cast in the same vein, they would've done it anyway to keep in accordance with the intent of the original.

In any case, the Japanese cast was good when I saw it in theatres back in May, and I'm sure the English dub will be fine as well.

To those of you who can determine the quality of an entire dub based upon 2 minutes of sporadic voice quips, you just keep being you.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd be interested in seeing more of the dub, I still need to get used to the Major's new look though.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Maxwell's Motoko reminds me a bit of Karen Thompson's dub performance for Re-L Mayer at the beginning of Ergo Proxy. Not bad; it's appropriate to the character. Like many here, I was hoping for at least Epcar returning to voice Batou, but I'll get over it.

I actually like the new character designs quite a bit. They don't really deviate a lot from how the cast looks in the other anime adaptations; they're just a little fresher and cleaner looking.

The strongest part of Arise for me is the sound design. The mix has a lot of air and empty space in it (the sparse electronic score has a lot to do with that) and works really nicely when the virtual environments come into play.

It's not my favorite GitS (I wanted more SAC after Solid State Society), but it's worth supporting.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'll give this a chance. I like to see new blood get a chance to revive this anime genre. Funi did take a risk on this one with such an established franchise, and they'll pay for it if they get it wrong. Optimism is better for my health as of late, but I will definitely do more research beyond this trailer before I drop some cash for this release.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I can't comprehend why Funi would get the original cast back, when the Japanese dub didn't get the original cast back....

...Yeah, the original dub was great....but that doesn't mean it would fit well here. It's a completely different Major, it's a completely different Batou....
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I love how the Major sounds, and it was awesome hearing Mary at the end! I think the Major sounds a bit more like Mimi Woods than Mary McGlynn (especially in her delivery), but I can definitely hear a bit of Mary in the voice. I could totally believe that that voice evolves into Mimi's, and THAT voice evolves into Mary's. It works, and Chris Sabat is also really awesome as Batou. He does sound like a slightly younger version of Richard Epcar's voice. Overall, I'm very pleased with what I hear!

Hellwarden wrote:
I can't comprehend why Funi would get the original cast back, when the Japanese dub didn't get the original cast back....

There are times when a Japanese cast changes and the English cast stays the same (like Berserk) that worked out for the better. Not saying this would be the best case, but I don't think an English cast or voice should necessarily change just because the Japanese did. As long as the English voices still work well, I don't think it should matter.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I think the Major sounds a bit more like Mimi Woods than Mary McGlynn (especially in her delivery)

Come on, let's not insult her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I never minded Mimi too much. She took some getting used to, but it was clear they were going for a literal "android" or "robotic" voice there, and she got the job done under those circumstances. I could understand why some wouldn't like it though, especially after Mary was able to expand on that performance and make the role her own. Elizabeth has kind of a balance between the two voices, which makes sense, given that this is a sort of "transition" between the two (I think? Not exactly sure when this takes place).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Don't really care about the dub cast, anyway it is to be expected with the direction Arise has gone.

I have put off watching Arise, because of the much different character designs.

But now that some time has passed, does Arise compare favorably story wise with SAC? I ask that, because sometimes these reimaginings or prelude series, are merely sanitized or moeified versions of the original series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Don't really care about the dub cast, anyway it is to be expected with the direction Arise has gone.

I have put off watching Arise, because of the much different character designs.

But now that some time has passed, does Arise compare favorably story wise with SAC? I ask that, because sometimes these reimaginings or prelude series, are merely sanitized or moeified versions of the original series.

It's essentially more of the same, for the most part, which is its biggest advantage but also greatest flaw, if there is one.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Stupid Funimation. Do not fix what is not broken. If you're going to take on a series then you better make damn sure that you can get all of the brilliant actors to reprise from series before. The actors from SAC are half of the reason why GITS has reached the acclaim that it has on this side of the pond!

No justice done.
actually its justified. it would have cost a lot of money for funi if they has reprise the cast from stand alone complex. though i was surprised they didn't allow miss mary to reprise her role as the major. though since this major looks a lot younger than the one from SAC, it would explain why they did the cast change even though it pissed off SAC fanatics like you. and it was the same thing for SAC when it premiered cause some fans of the movie wanted the cast for the movie to be in SAC. definitely fickle fans indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3