• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Hmm, sounds interesting. I remember when I saw this up for pre-orders, but I decided to wait and see. I may need to check out a bit of what happens beyond volume 1, as the fan-service scenes describe here doesn't sound like it's for me, and many here are saying they're toned down from volume 2 onwards.

Its completely toned down later in the series. You go from naked foodgasms, to women dancing with a duck, or being kissed by a man with an apple for a head. Its completely over the top, and that's what makes it so charming. Although the fanservice is quite extreme in the beginning.

The series later drops the whole 'tentacles' thing. The boobs never stop defying gravity, but the food never stops impressing you, either. Foodgasms for days, man, and they're all hysterical.

No joke, I want to learn to make that transforming chicken-and-egg rice. Seriously. I need that stuff.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Every instance of fan service in this volume was out of place and much too intense. As the gourmand I am, it's an exaggeration to say food would be, in a literal sense, orgasmic (or, in the case of the molestation scenes, be rape-like). Nevertheless, learning about making aspic and the tenderizing trait of honey made me look forward to future volumes of this series, and I appreciate the sternness Soma has for his technique.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
The original one-shot included in this volume shows that Erina only turned into a massive asshole between that and serialization. Also, I believe the second volume has her at her most jerk-ass, unless volumes after that make her even WORSE, which I wouldn't know about.

Of all the dishes featured, I want to try my hand at the eggs over rice the most. They don't have a recipe on the volume. But it seemed simple enough, even for someone who rarely, if ever, cooks, like myself.

I read some spoilers about Megumi Tadokoro that make me want to check further chapters online - Viz's glacial schedule for volumes is not cutting it - but I'll hold off for now.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(We will not speak of the Knife Cookie Incident of 1992.)

Oh ho I think you must!

I tend to buy pretty much every food-related manga. Ooh and it's on Kindle! *buys it*

Hey I don't suppose you all can include whether or not it's a paper or e-release in the review? Obviously it can be found with some searching, but since I mainly buy e-releases these days it would help me quickly wean out anything I'm on the line about buying.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:41 am Reply with quote
Thank you to everyone who has said that Erina will not remain the main female character ("heroine")! That gives me much hope. The review is strictly based on the first volume, which does seem to imply that she's going to be the female star.

sunflower wrote:
Hey I don't suppose you all can include whether or not it's a paper or e-release in the review?

I'll try to remember to mention it! Generally if it's Viz, there's an ebook version, and Yen is pretty good about it as well. I'm a paper girl myself (you do not want to know how many boxes of books I just moved), but everyone likes their books differently. Smile

Ah the Knife Cookie Incident of 1992...let's just say that two 13-year-olds, an 11-year-old, and a 9-year-old should not be left unsupervised in a kitchen with an old-fashioned mixer on a rainy day. Especially following the Fried Cookie Incident of 1991. Or the Exploding Marshmallow Disaster of 1990, although that one took place in the living room fireplace...
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
You go from naked foodgasms, to women dancing with a duck, or being kissed by a man with an apple for a head.

Now that, that sounds kinda awesome! Laughing

I'll be sure to keep my eye out for volume 2.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Gotta love foodgasms; it almost makes me want to cook the food they cooked and taste them! Cool

Though it is a Shounen Jump title, and I'm a little weary it might fall prey to usual shounen aspects like a "tournament arc" or introduce legitimately good female chefs that later suck.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

sunflower wrote:
Hey I don't suppose you all can include whether or not it's a paper or e-release in the review?

I'll try to remember to mention it! Generally if it's Viz, there's an ebook version, and Yen is pretty good about it as well. I'm a paper girl myself (you do not want to know how many boxes of books I just moved), but everyone likes their books differently. Smile

Yeah, I was that way for years but the books have taken over the house to the point where it looks like Hoarders, the Library Version. I have one room with books stacked three layers thick from floor to about shoulder height. In front of floor to ceiling wall to wall double stacked bookcases. And then there's the bedroom... I just can't anymore. It's ebooks or nothing unless the series is really special.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
This sounded decent until I read more about Erina. Ack, no thanks. I'll stick to Yakitate!! Japan.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
You go from naked foodgasms, to women dancing with a duck, or being kissed by a man with an apple for a head.

Now that, that sounds kinda awesome! Laughing

I'll be sure to keep my eye out for volume 2.

At one point, people imagine the chefs fighting each other with weapons or Stands when they compare their dishes. The foodgasms actually never repeat the same theme, and it's impossible to predict how they react. Actually, you will miss that someone is "going to be naked".

The chefs in the series are incredibly badass. You can just look at them and you know how badass they really are or who has got the chance to win.

One of the most discussed things of Shokugeki no Soma is "Who is the true heroine?" Is it Erina Nakiri, the Tsundere Ojou Rival character who rarely appears. Or is it the shy Megumi Tadokoro who gets huge character development when the story progresses?

Souma is a very good hero. He's actually not a hot-blooded idiot and remains his cool for the most part of the series. It's very entertaining to see how a freaking badass genius he is. His actions are also rather unpredictable. The secondary characters of the series are also quite entertaining and fit to the crazy world of cooking. Do not expect ordinary chefs or ordinary food, even if the dishes are supposed to be "ordinary".

A strong and weak point of the series are the details regarding the food. They are really described in detail.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Morning Blue wrote:
This sounded decent until I read more about Erina. Ack, no thanks. I'll stick to Yakitate!! Japan.

Erina is a character who doesn't appear that often. I guess there are several volumes where she does not appear at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2