• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 TV Anime Affected by Japanese Censorship

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
I'd still like a source for this "he knows what he did" quote they're sourcing. The only thing we've heard was him being mum on the subject because a staffer was "still alive". Besides, if it was truly that bad, why did it get re-released for the re-releases of the series in Japan? *rolls eyes* Oh Tomino.

it was said that,during Zeta Gundam's production,there was a triangle love between him,voice-actress Maria Kawamura(who voiced Beltorchika in Zeta Gundam and Quess in Char's Counterattack),and Mamoru Nagano,who made The Five Star Stories and worked with Tomino on some Gundam shows.Maria chose Nagano(and still is married with him to this day)and Tomino broke off his friendship with Nagano for that.

don't know if it's true or if it is related to the banned episode in North America.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Cowboy Bebop had similar issues with episodes being pulled from what I recall. Only half it's episodes aired or something.

Pocket Monsters seems to get an episode every series banned because it lines up with a natural disaster. Episodes about boat wrecks or tsunamis.

I'm surprised they didn't make the list considering the crapload of eps that get cancelled. though mostly its like one or two eps per arc.

first there was the beach eps with the rocket gang being crossdressers then of course the safari ep where it had way too many guns, and of course the porygon solider ep which is the most infamous of them all.

and now there is the rocket gang vs the plasma gang ep cause of the earthquake and tsunami during the Unova arc now the kalos arc got the bug thanks to that cruiser disaster in korea.

1. Mobile Suit Gundam Yoshiyuki Tomino has a well-developed reputation as the outspoken creator of the Gundam franchise. The guy can also hold a grudge. Episode 15 of the series was pulled from North American broadcast and home video release due to off-model animation. Usually, those kind of issues are fixed for home video release but Tomino also cited issues with the episode's animation director, saying "He knows what he did."

SERIOUSLY??? i know he's the creator and all but removing an ep from the US broadcast for a crappy ass reason like that is beyond stupid. if it was something like he didn't like how they were editing that ep so it can meet FCC standards then i would understand cause most of these authors dont like how the US do some of their censoring. but reason like that is beyond childish. talk about pathetic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
School Days deserved whatever cutting happened. it was a horrid mis use of shock and horror. Really really sick. Anime has its dark side and that sure showed it. the other delays made sense. Glad people care at least that much.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Touma wrote:
In this case the entries were different. One uses the last names and the other does not. So anybody checking for duplicates could have easily missed that.

True, but it was pointed out in the forum comments, so it seems like they should have been combined for the final result. Without knowing the vote count, there's no way to know how they finished, but obviously higher than 13.

That aside, very interesting list this week!

Fixed and adjusted their placement. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, guys.

Well, this week, Eri Sawachika seems to be listed twice. Could you please look into that too?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Wait. Looking at the new list...Aria wasn't blonde! Just because her hair color doesn't exist in the real world doesn't automatically make it blonde.

And why'd they only choose Akari and not Kotone? Just because they're twins doesn't mean you should leave one of them out. I liked Kotone better anyway.

Ah forget. I'm nitpicky.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Added in Selnia from LVB. Twin blonde drills of course count, and she's an ohoho ojousama to boot.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
lMAO "He knows what he did." Laughing Laughing Laughing
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Samurai Flamenco not only on the top couple list but on there as the highest rated same sex pairing? Hell yes. Very Happy
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Wtf is wrong with people? Clannad at the top of the list of pairings? Too many moe fans.

Utena and Anthy at 14 is nice tho
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I am honestly disappointed that Hyouka couple (Chitanda x Oreki) did not make the list. People who do the poll are giving points to the couples from the most overrated anime...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
top 3 on the poll were perfect. then it completely went down hill.
yappers4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed Bobobo Bo Bo-bobo was missing from the list, especially with the reasons why it was cancelled.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

Well, this week, Eri Sawachika seems to be listed twice. Could you please look into that too?

There's a free input box, so unfortunately I can't prevent people from adding doubles/triples/etc. if they miss that the option is already available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tsukento

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:09 am Reply with quote
Actually surprised Pokémon's various series' didn't make the cut, as a good number of episodes ended up being skipped over in Japan due mostly to major earthquakes. Most cases were filler, with the exception of a major plot point that was going to involve Team Rocket against Team Plasm. It ended up being shelved and the rest of the Best Wishes series had to pretend it never happened, sorta.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Northlander wrote:

There's a free input box, so unfortunately I can't prevent people from adding doubles/triples/etc. if they miss that the option is already available.

Ah! I kind of thought there would be an approval process behind things like this, to avoid situations where two people might suggest the same character, or to prevent trolling or what have you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5