• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Black Butler: Book of Murder Original Video Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrick.enfield.9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Thats great so I dont have to download crappy fansubs of the ova's nbut can watch it in decent quality, legally.

Yes Japan I said it. If you baka would license everything that way there'd be very little piracy. Problem is crunchyroll doesnt work around the globe so ..piracy is the only way to go for anime fans who have insane love for..well for anime basically.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Whoo hoo! Great news. Now if we can get a date soon. Since the OVA won't be in theaters until near the end of the year though it probably won't come out til at least the middle of or late next year.

@patrick.enfield.9
Japan isn't the one who licenses anime and manga for foreign consumption....
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
patrick.enfield.9 wrote:
..piracy is the only way to go for anime fans who have insane love for..well for anime basically.

Aside from learning Japanese, you mean?

Fansubs are hardly of worse quality, especially when we go by the subs funi uses for its streams.
patrick.enfield.9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Whoo hoo! Great news. Now if we can get a date soon. Since the OVA won't be in theaters until near the end of the year though it probably won't come out til at least the middle of or late next year.

@patrick.enfield.9
Japan isn't the one who licenses anime and manga for foreign consumption....

I am aware of that. Fact is if the japanese government would take the piracy issue serious, they would have to take licensing/streaming serious and support it. You just cant tell me you haven't heard of this gigantic Anti Piracy company that the Japanese. government started, deleting tons of ''illegal streaming sites for anime'' . They are mostly targetting western websites which is a joke to be honest. Yea..like theres a way to watch Gintama or even freaking read it, when viz stopped releasing it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
An expected license pick up. I hope Funimation is able to release both Book of Circus and Book of Murder in the same home video set.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
This is great! I mean, it makes sense since they have Book of Circus, but having a confirmation is totally awesome. (And since it's an OVA I wasn't 100% positive they'd actually stream it.)

Very happy with Funimation right now. Anime smile

Now I'm really just concerned about the OVAs' length. Considering the amount of material the arc covers, I'd think that each of the two OVAs would need to be at least 75 minutes each, which is...kinda long. But we'll see what happens, I guess.
EastN3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, especially since Book of Circus is (imo) one of the top 3 shows this season.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:

Now I'm really just concerned about the OVAs' length. Considering the amount of material the arc covers, I'd think that each of the two OVAs would need to be at least 75 minutes each, which is...kinda long. But we'll see what happens, I guess.

Book of Murder isn't that long of an arc, really. Circus is only going to be around 8 20-minute episodes and its longer than the Murder arc.

Two 40-50 minute OVAs is plenty of time to cover it... and its more of a filler arc between major arcs so it doesn't contain major information asides from the bit that leads from the Murder arc to the next... bits can go a lot faster when animated, too. xD
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
Darkmagick wrote:

Book of Murder isn't that long of an arc, really. Circus is only going to be around 8 20-minute episodes and its longer than the Murder arc.

Two 40-50 minute OVAs is plenty of time to cover it... and its more of a filler arc between major arcs so it doesn't contain major information asides from the bit that leads from the Murder arc to the next... bits can go a lot faster when animated, too. xD

Book of Circus is based on a 14-chapter arc. It's been adapted into a 10-episode anime, but really 9 episodes because the first episode was just a re-intro into the series. So, taking out the time for openings and closings, that's around 9*21 minutes, or 189 minutes worth of content.

Book of Murder is going to be based on a 12-chapter arc - i.e., not that much shorter than Book of Circus. If you tried to give it the exact same amount of time as Book of Circus, you'd get around 162 minutes. (189 minutes * (12/14)) That would come out to 81 minutes each for two OVAs. But I assumed it's going to be more compressed than that, and went for 75 minutes each. The Murder arc is also a bit more wordy than the Circus arc, so it might be harder to compress.

Thus, I am concerned. But we'll see what happens.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
Darkmagick wrote:

Book of Circus is based on a 14-chapter arc. It's been adapted into a 10-episode anime, but really 9 episodes because the first episode was just a re-intro into the series. So, taking out the time for openings and closings, that's around 9*21 minutes, or 189 minutes worth of content.

Book of Murder is going to be based on a 12-chapter arc - i.e., not that much shorter than Book of Circus. If you tried to give it the exact same amount of time as Book of Circus, you'd get around 162 minutes. (189 minutes * (12/14)) That would come out to 81 minutes each for two OVAs. But I assumed it's going to be more compressed than that, and went for 75 minutes each. The Murder arc is also a bit more wordy than the Circus arc, so it might be harder to compress.

Thus, I am concerned. But we'll see what happens.

Circus has back-story flash-backs added to as it does tie into the arc; Murder arc doesn't have that much information to it.

I didn't say it was "drastically shorter". I just said it was shorter. It's still just a filler arc between two major arcs so the entire bulk of the randomness and repeating of information that does occur is not important to the over-all story. It's a buffer between the Cirucs and Cruise.

So for the story it does cover and the major information that does need to be 2 30-50 minute episodes is plenty. An OVA is different than the TV; TV usually has a set number of reserved air-time slots they have to fill so they bulk up the anime to make it fully fit with the slot and flow the story along... They could have possibly done Circus in 3 OVA episodes but they opted for the TV version... And they've shown a LOT more information in short OVA series before (I'll just use CLAMP's Tsubsasa Reservior Chronicles Tokyo City Arc for a good example here...); I've no doubt they can do it with Kuroshitsuji in this case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1