• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks: Gatchaman Crowds Release Does Not Include Director's Cut Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I'm hating on Sentai for not announcing this until specifically asked.
I stated that it may be Sentai's fault, or it may be the Japanese company's fault.
I can't blame the people who worked on the show for not finishing on time because I'm well documented on the working conditions. They are horrible. That is the fault of the Japanese companies.

I also stated that I don't really care whose fault it is.

PS: The only two cases I know for a fact that the Japanese screwed over the NA company are Kurokami (Japanese audio was refused for the NA release) and Persona 4 (subtitles could not be turned off). Both these cases are because of (reasonable) fear of reverse importation. Both these cases are documented and accepted as facts. If you have other examples, with cold hard facts, please share. I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm saying I do not know them.

So the next time if a Japanese companies refuse a US company to license that OVA or that bonus episodes that should be included, you're going to hate the US company rather then the Japanese companies. This is clearly the Japanese fault. Also I think there are more cases of Japanese blocking international releases on anime outside of Japan, this is why I hate licensing restriction/redtapes, it shouldn't exist at all.

DmonHiro wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
There was also the fact that Section 23 was asked about the director's cut, as the replied that they did not have the rights to it.

And that's my point. They had to be ASKED. If they were truly honest, they would have announced it of their own free will. They could not have not known about its existence. If they had not been asked, do you really think they would have said they didn't have it? No, they would have hidden it just like Funi did.

or what about the Japanese just did this at the last minute. Jeez, if Japanese companies continue to do this. Then US anime companies may not want to go to anime business (because of Japan's xenophobic business practice).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
[So the next time if a Japanese companies refuse a US company to license that OVA or that bonus episodes that should be included, you're going to hate the US company rather then the Japanese companies.

No, but I am going to hate the US company if it does not announce that they don't have it, especially if it's something as important as in this case. And no, the Japanese can't do it "at the last minute". Contracts are signed way in advance. And stop using the words "it's certainly the Japanese fault" when you have absolutely no evidence except your own bias (which is not actually evidence).

Now, about that question I asked about DOCUMENTED cases where the Japanese withholding stuff from the US release... Know any aside from Kurokami and Persona 4?

PS: The Japanese won't actually care much if US companies stop licensing anime. Worst case scenario, maybe 20% less anime will be produced each year because of the loss of licensing revenue. I'm being very generous with 20%. So that means 25 shows per season instead of 30. I can live with that.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
It's also worth nothing that Sentai delayed this release, so it's a possible they were attempting to the get the 13th episode. However, I still don't understand why anyone would expect the director's cut, when nothing on the release specs would imply it was included, and to contrary would imply that it wasn't included.

There is also the fact that Section 23 stated over two months ago again that it wouldn't be included. Of course, it probably would have been more helpful if ANN had posted the news then, instead of waiting until now. You can be angry about them not releasing it, but you can't claim they were deceptive, when they were very open about not having it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I was unaware Sentai stated they did not have the 13th episode back in April. I assumed this was something new.
Sentai, I owe you an apology.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
There was also the fact that Section 23 was asked about the director's cut, as the replied that they did not have the rights to it.

And that's my point. They had to be ASKED. If they were truly honest, they would have announced it of their own free will. They could not have not known about its existence. If they had not been asked, do you really think they would have said they didn't have it? No, they would have hidden it just like Funi did.

I cannot comprehend your anger. You are portraying Sentai as if they had already confirmed that they were going to include the director's cut of episode 12 in their release. They never said anything about having that episode, therefore, I do not see anything dishonest about clarifying what is included in their upcoming release.

If you, and other people, convinced yourselves that it was the moral duty of Sentai to also release that episode, that is your problem. And knowing how self serving and petulant some fans can be, I do not blame Sentai for not advertising that they were not including that extra content.

EDIT: I did not see your last post, DmonHiro, before posting my comment.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
No, like I said above, I was unaware Sentai said they didn't have the OVA back in April.
Going by this article, I assumed Sentai just NOW said they didn't have it, after being asked about it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

No, but I am going to hate the US company if it does not announce that they don't have it, especially if it's something as important as in this case. And no, the Japanese can't do it "at the last minute". Contracts are signed way in advance. And stop using the words "it's certainly the Japanese fault" when you have absolutely no evidence except your own bias (which is not actually evidence).

Now, about that question I asked about DOCUMENTED cases where the Japanese withholding stuff from the US release... Know any aside from Kurokami and Persona 4?

I know you apologized, but I hate to say this but there are cases according to several anime insiders of Japanese canceling or making last minute change to the contract, remember this is the Japanese we're talking about. It's known Japanese side of buisness are known and notorious for unfair business practice (where WTO should've step in to criticize Japan over it). Answerman has confirmed this before.

Quote:
PS: The Japanese won't actually care much if US companies stop licensing anime. Worst case scenario, maybe 20% less anime will be produced each year because of the loss of licensing revenue. I'm being very generous with 20%. So that means 25 shows per season instead of 30. I can live with that.

That's OK, I dare Japan to try not licensing anime outside of Japan, I want to see if Japan can try to make revenue without foreign market and try to survive with that next year tax hikes (from 8% this year to 10% next year).

Also Funimation and Sentai could do something else otther then anime and there are other stuff that are more popular then anime like these (I believe they're very popular in your country). I heard Korean dramas are becoming as popular (or more popular) then anime/manga these day, and these could bring a lot of revenue to Funimation and Sentai if they can distribute them on Blu-ray/DVDs. I mean you'll be surprise how many fans of dramas there are in the states.

I would love Funimation and Sentai to maybe not license anymore anime (I mean if the Japanese are going to continue to put more restriction on anime when they get license), and go for Asian dramas instead, they're worth a lot more money then anime.

Last edited by mdo7 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
That's OK, I dare Japan to try not licensing anime outside of Japan, I want to see if Japan can try to make revenue without foreign market and try to survive with that next year tax hikes (from 8% this year to 10% next year).

I don't want to brag, but I have a masters in economic science.
My educated guess if everyone outside of Japan stopped licensing anime, the market would change, but by much. Here's what I think would happen.
1. 20% less anime produced yearly.
2. No more shows targeted at an American audience. Well, these were few and far in between.
3. They would try to pander even more to the demographic that buys anime. That means (I think) more fan pandering shows.
4. Prices would NOT drop.

PS: Yes, K-Dramas are very popular in Romania. Don't ask why, cause I don't know. I don't know if they are as popular in the US.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I don't want to brag, but I have a masters in economic science.
My educated guess if everyone outside of Japan stopped licensing anime, the market would change, but by much. Here's what I think would happen.
1. 20% less anime produced yearly.
2. No more shows targeted at an American audience. Well, these were few and far in between.
3. They would try to pander even more to the demographic that buys anime. That means (I think) more fan pandering shows.
4. Prices would NOT drop.

PS: Yes, K-Dramas are very popular in Romania. Don't ask why, cause I don't know. I don't know if they are as popular in the US.

Please check your PM, I'm not going to derail the topic over this.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I heard Korean dramas are becoming as popular (or more popular) then anime/manga these day, and these could bring a lot of revenue to Funimation and Sentai if they can distribute them on Blu-ray/DVDs. I mean you'll be surprise how many fans of dramas there are in the states.

I would love Funimation and Sentai to maybe not license anymore anime (I mean if the Japanese are going to continue to put more restriction on anime when they get license), and go for Asian dramas instead, they're worth a lot more money then anime.

Outside of your Korean family and Korean circle of influence, where did you hear this? I think you're dramatically overvaluing Korean entertainment in America, and you're making a stupid assumption that just because we like Japanese cartoons means we actually want to see k-dramas more. We get it, they're more valuable than gold in your view, but they're worthless to me. And please don't respond with your strawman about "but you like Japanese culture and entertainment, why not Korean!!!!!???" Because I don't, it's that simple. I just don't.

Your K-drama agenda should be seen as soapboxing and I wish Zac would place in the same hole he put Chagen in.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Well that's a bummer, considering that the episode supposedly contains spoiler[the full version of the climactic fight from said last episode], or something like that. Here's hoping it can come here at some point.

At least they didn't outright lie about having it. Wink

that's true. but it still sucks on so many levels that some licensors are really picky when it comes to prices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
誤称

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
No sale.

And wtf is with the Korean soapboxing?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
wtf is with the Korean soapboxing?

It's mdo7's pet soapbox.
Nyron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro is the most intelligent person in this thread

Who the hell would buy a series that doesn't include the final episode? Jesus christ, what a poor product.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
Who the hell would buy a series that doesn't include the final episode? Jesus christ, what a poor product.

It has the final episode, it just happens to be the TV version of the final episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5