• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks: Gatchaman Crowds Release Does Not Include Director's Cut Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Nyron wrote:
Who the hell would buy a series that doesn't include the final episode? Jesus christ, what a poor product.

It has the final episode, it just happens to be the TV version of the final episode.

Yeah but it's not the intended version because they couldn't finish it on time for broadcast. So the real final ep is the one not included.

I mean I understand there are licensing issues, with Sentai having to deal with a separate licensor than the one for the regular eps, but I have to wonder, did they even try? Why is it that at least half of the shows, and probably more now, Sentai releases are missing OVAs/animated-specials that are usually included in the JP release when other licensees almost always manage to obtain them?

On the one hand I like Sentai for being so prolific, grabbing all sorts of titles, but on the other hand, it's very frustrating to see all the animated extras/OVAs missing.

Given that comparison, I have to think it's much more than cost factor. It's like if they need to be offered the other parts on a silver platter, only having to sign a separate piece of paper in order to get them, but if they need to jump through extra hoops, then you can forget about them.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
EyeOfPain wrote:
Nyron wrote:
Who the hell would buy a series that doesn't include the final episode? Jesus christ, what a poor product.

It has the final episode, it just happens to be the TV version of the final episode.

Yeah but it's not the intended version because they couldn't finish it on time for broadcast. So the real final ep is the one not included.

I mean I understand there are licensing issues, with Sentai having to deal with a separate licensor than the one for the regular eps, but I have to wonder, did they even try? Why is it that at least half of the shows, and probably more now, Sentai releases are missing OVAs/animated-specials that are usually included in the JP release when other licensees almost always manage to obtain them?

On the one hand I like Sentai for being so prolific, grabbing all sorts of titles, but on the other hand, it's very frustrating to see all the animated extras/OVAs missing.

Given that comparison, I have to think it's much more than cost factor. It's like if they need to be offered the other parts on a silver platter, only having to sign a separate piece of paper in order to get them, but if they need to jump through extra hoops, then you can forget about them.

It really depends on the licensor they have to deal with. Their Media Factory almost always include the OVA's, and a lot of the Japanese extras. Their Kadokowa titles usually do, but there are one or two exceptions. TBS and Showgate shows seem to be hit or miss, as they don't often have their home video rights to those titles in Japan and are unable to license some of the OVA's and extras.

And saying that almost all other licensees almost always manage to obtain is a bit of an exaggeration. Funimation has several titles that have OVA's that still aren't licensed. Media Blasters has in the past. Viz has entire series it hasn't finished, including OVA's. Not to mention, the only company that licenses a similar quantity of titles as Sentai is Funimation, so it would make sense that Sentai would have more series that have extras or OVA's missing than most R1 companies.

Also, I would point out that many of the OVA's that Sentai hasn't licensed were either released separately from the series and would require a separate license, often from another production committee, such as the To Love Ru OVAs, or are actually manga extra discs. The only one of these that Sentai has licensed was High School of the Dead, which is understandable given how successful it was.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
It really depends on the licensor they have to deal with. Their Media Factory almost always include the OVA's, and a lot of the Japanese extras. Their Kadokowa titles usually do, but there are one or two exceptions. TBS and Showgate shows seem to be hit or miss, as they don't often have their home video rights to those titles in Japan and are unable to license some of the OVA's and extras.

Thanks, I have not kept track so that's good to know.

Quote:
And saying that almost all other licensees almost always manage to obtain is a bit of an exaggeration. Funimation has several titles that have OVA's that still aren't licensed. Media Blasters has in the past. Viz has entire series it hasn't finished, including OVA's. Not to mention, the only company that licenses a similar quantity of titles as Sentai is Funimation, so it would make sense that Sentai would have more series that have extras or OVA's missing than most R1 companies.

Also, I would point out that many of the OVA's that Sentai hasn't licensed were either released separately from the series and would require a separate license, often from another production committee, such as the To Love Ru OVAs, or are actually manga extra discs. The only one of these that Sentai has licensed was High School of the Dead, which is understandable given how successful it was.

When I say "OVAs" I don't mean the ones released separately from the Japanese home video release, like the High School of the Dead OVA, or the OVAs that come with manga/artbooks, but rather those that are included as part of the the regular series home video release. For example, this Gatchaman Crowds director's cut, Angel Beat's epilogue episode, the ecchi OVAs that came with each Japanese volume of Daimao, etc.

That's where I was comparing with other US licensees. While Sentai may have a lot of titles, as a percentage of titles they get in comparison for home-video-series-included-OVAs to others, it's not great. Funimation, aside from the recent snafu with Senran Kagura, have managed to include them for just about all their releases for the past couple of years. Though to be honest, I'm kinda afraid that it would mark a turning point in their strategy for them, especially after the expensive issues of dealing with Ben-To or Sankarea (I hope they don't resort to "ah, f**k it, just release it").

Maybe it's just luck of the draw of whom they deal with, but nonetheless, the ratio of titles with and without extras in the end is what consumers experience. Even Media Blasters, back when they were still licensing stuff, when for example John was asked about the animated ecchi shorts not included in the Kanokon single actually did go back to make sure they were included, when they cancelled the singles and released the box set.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:16 am Reply with quote
All this talk of Sentai missing OVAs got me to have a look at the Sentai titles I own. Just out of curiosity. From the Sentai releases I own, Angel Beats is among them.

I think that Chuuni is missing the Depth of Field shorts. I'm unsure though, as it says it includes shorts...but I've not had a look at which ones they are. All it says on the back is "Chuni-Shorts" and, as I'm being lazy, I think it means no DoF...but these ones. MAL has it listed as "Chuni-Shorts" but that doesn't carry over when you look at the Depth of Field page.

2 out of 9 isn't bad. Though, it could be 3, but I'm unsure if ef: A Tale of Memories' prologue was released with the TV series. All I've seen mentioned is that it was released as a stand alone.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:21 am Reply with quote
Guess Sentai should've taken more time and negotiated for the extra OVA, if or when that Japanese licensor allows them to release it. On the other hand, some people won't wait for even more delay.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Guess Sentai should've taken more time and negotiated for the extra OVA, if or when that Japanese licensor allows them to release it. On the other hand, some people won't wait for even more delay.

That's true. It's also true that if Sentai did delay the title and made further attempts to get the directors cut, that there is no guarantee they would have been successful in their attempts. It's possible they could have just delayed the release even longer and still not had anything to show for it.

Releasing the show in this form is better than not releasing it at all. A few people have commented that they felt the Director's Cut isn't necessary to enjoy to the series. I haven't seen it, so I can't make a judgement myself. But at least those who are able to enjoy Crowds this way have the option of buying it. It sucks for those that prefer the director's cut, but this is an incident where they can't please everyone.

And since Persona 4 was brought up, it's worth noting that despite the fact that it's been year since the initial dub-only blurays, and just a bit longer for the Japanese blurays, that Aniplex has still not allowed Sentai to release a bilingual bluray. The only complete bilingual collection that has been released was on DVD. So delays don't always guarantee anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5