• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter Manga Goes on 2-Week Hiatus Due to Back Pain

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, there goes my hope that Togashi spent the last two years stockpiling chapters before HxH resumed serialization. We're in for a long string of breaks then.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
The manga was having back pain!? Poor manga!

:D

Anyhow, since this isn't really Togashi's fault, you can't realistically be so mad at him.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
Back pain can lead to more serious problems, so I say he can take the time he needs to recover. Reading manga and watching anime is my hobby, wouldn't want anybody to get hurt while making it.

That being said, as far as work ethic goes, I feel like Kishi, Oda, Kudo, etc. put in a lot more work and the proof is in the consistent art and the amount of chapters. Hell, Kishi took a two week hiatus when his father died, I really wish he took off more because he seems depressed lately, but that shows how hard other mangaka are working. Sorry, but no matter how good HxH is, I can't place Togashi about others like that. I pray he becomes healthy and I don't blame him, but this biased had got to stop.
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
the old man should retire, get well Wink
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
patrick.enfield.9 wrote:
How disrespectful. Togashi might be considered somewhat lazy as he doesnt take the same health damage other mangaka are willing to take for their series. However his writing is amazing and you can't deny he is putting insane effort into details in his plot.
Yes the art is inconsistent, its still one of the 3 best Manga the wsj has to offer. Togashi is a great writer and his manga deserves much more attention imo.

Oh, my I am so sorry if my words happen to hurt you. I didn't put any swear words or anything so I can't really say that I was being disrespectful.

It's just, like others say, no matter how good he is at storytelling and making details into his plot like you say, I don't think that he deserves more chance for break or multiple hiatuses.
Even FMA's Hiromu Arakawa already gave birth three times but I rarely hear her asking for hiatus. (and yeah, I know that she's currently slowing down her works to take care of her relatives, and that's the first time I heard something like that from her)

At least, please try to make the art looks acceptable for weekly published magazine. (Honestly I don't even know how the editor can just publish it weekly with only rough draft-like sketches.)
I know that he fixes the art for the tankoubon, but still, please keep the quality. Like PSYCHO-PASS QUALITY episode 18, I would likely to laugh than take it serious when I have to read serious plot in horrible art quality.

To be honest, I'm not like you, not a fan of Togashi, but I hope the best for him. It's sad that he is in poor health and he had to put the series into hiatus again and again. May he get well soon and give the fans what they deserve.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
Jesus christ AGAIN?! The series has been boring since it's return but this is starting to get silly.

I second the notion that Togashi passes in the art reins onto someone else while he continues to write the script.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
Goddamn, how many more times is he going to go on hiatus? At least this time it's for a good reason.
...If he's going to go on another long hiatus after this 2-week one, he might as well end it or have someone help him.
xScar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:

At least, please try to make the art looks acceptable for weekly published magazine. (Honestly I don't even know how the editor can just publish it weekly with only rough draft-like sketches.)
I know that he fixes the art for the tankoubon, but still, please keep the quality. Like PSYCHO-PASS QUALITY episode 18, I would likely to laugh than take it serious when I have to read serious plot in horrible art quality.

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up the art. The art has been better than ever since he's returned. His last run also had pretty decent art (only a few chapters right before the beginning of the hiatus looked rough).

You just want to hop on a soapbox about something and rant. There's no need to rant here.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
People getting pissy because Togashi takes hiatuses, relax. It's amazing people question the work of someone they don't know and have no idea what is going on in his life. Yeah Oda and Kishimoto pumped out more but they are also 20 years younger than he is.

And people criticizing the art need to actually read the chapters before mouthing off. Like xScar said the art has been pretty great.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
Oda and Kishi are about 8-9 years younger than Togashi. Togashi was born in April 1966, Kishi in November 1974, and Oda in January 1975. Where did 20 years come from?
The age gap between them is less than the gap between Togashi and Akimoto (born in December 1952); he of the never-taking-a-break-since-1976 fame.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Tbh I laughed a bit when I saw the headline too xD

That said, while I love HxH and am always a little disappointed to see it go on hiatus, I don't think Togashi is lazy. For one, I have no idea what goes on in his life so I'd rather reserve judgment anyway. But for another, he has a family, and drawing manga is a 24/7 job. Tbh I can only feel happy for him being able to find a place of financial stability that allows him to spend time with them. So many mangaka don't have that luxury.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Hunter x Hunter on hiatus? Sounds like business as usual.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
And people criticizing the art need to actually read the chapters before mouthing off. Like xScar said the art has been pretty great.

Dozens of chapters that were nothing more than scribbles, spanning over three arcs, make a rather lasting impression.
Hospodar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

Dozens of chapters that were nothing more than scribbles, spanning over three arcs, make a rather lasting impression.

A thief has even less rights to bitch than an actual customer. Just for your information. The only scribble chapter is 339. There are no scribbles in the rest. At least in what you can buy that is not an old WSJ issue.
Lain'sHairline wrote:
At least we have A REASON this time. All the other hiatus explanations were completely nonexistent.

Because there is a reason which they can publically tell. The reason for the hiatuses is probably just a simple “doesn’t want to spend the whole day in a room drawing”. He wants to spend time with his family, travel, watch movies, read books and so on. All his good right to do but you cannot tell the people that the author doesn’t like to spend 16 hours a day to draw a manga.

The backpain might be serious. I see a yuyu like ending coming soon.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Oda and Kishi are about 8-9 years younger than Togashi. Togashi was born in April 1966, Kishi in November 1974, and Oda in January 1975. Where did 20 years come from?
The age gap between them is less than the gap between Togashi and Akimoto (born in December 1952); he of the never-taking-a-break-since-1976 fame.

Oh okay that's my mistake I assumed Oda and kishimoto were younger than that. Regardless they are almost a decade apart not to mention Togashi has already done multiple series compared to those two.

Quote:

Even then those chapters are fixed in the volume releases, and it doesn't change the way the art has been since the return.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4