• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mysterious Girlfriend X Manga Ends Next Month

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
DAMMIT!! DAMMIT!! DAMMIT!! DAMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!! I wanted this series to keep going for years!! Anime cry

Yeah, not like 8 years is any number of years!

Bugnin wrote:
I think the author's refusal to advance their relationship (and thus the story) story sort of doomed this. Fantastic idea but this was never meant to last for a long time the way it was envisioned. There's only so far you can keep your two main characters in the same love purgatory until it gets stale.

I think 24 years is about how long you can maintain a manga romance without any significant progression.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
The lack of knowledge of Uraba has much more to do with the whole "Mysterious" aspect than anything else. If Tsubaki was asking tons of questions and getting clear answers, Urabe would lose that sense of mystery. He has learned some things about her along the way, but usually at the expense of some new mystery.

One of the more mysterious thing about Urabe is what her expectation of the relationship is. She accepts and announces "girlfriend" status but we never get any kind of fix on what that means.

She is oddly solicitous of Akira in some ways and in others totally indifferent to his desires or needs. For example she won't let him even take a nice picture of her to keep -- what guy doesn't want a picture if he manages to get a pretty girlfriend? On the other hand she let him fondle her breasts. She won't kiss him or even let him hold her hand but then again had tacitly acknowledged that their relationship would turn sexual eventually. She destroys his idol magazines but forgives his sexual fantasies and doesn't mind him seeing her underwear. She seems to have little interest in going on dates with him.

All said and done he is on a ride he can't get off and he has no skills with which to deal with her other than to plod along hoping things will progress at her whim. And she seems to think the saliva-sharing trumps any need for anything else in a relationship such as mementos or sex in any form.
Quote:
Now, Oka and Ueno? I don't see them making it past high school. Oka is a live wire and will want to be free and easy in college. Not to mention that Ueno is such a dolt that he hasn't figured out that his best friend is dating a girl right under his nose when his girlfriend, the class rep, and several other girls have figured it out relatively easily.

Uneo is a dolt but I think his type can hold on to Oka as long as he wants to. Oka is a live wire but at least she's an open live wire and she and Uneo can develop their relationship much better than the hapless Akira. Oka's smarts makes up for any lack on Uneo's part and she is not only able but willing to communicate. They might break up later but I don't see them graduating high school as virgins.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
the-antihero wrote:
DAMMIT!! DAMMIT!! DAMMIT!! DAMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!! I wanted this series to keep going for years!! Anime cry

Yeah, not like 8 years is any number of years!

When mere 20-23 page chapters come out at such a painfully slow rates, taking more than 2 months on some occasions, that definitely makes this ending abrupt. I'd rather this go on for another 10 years instead of One Piece.

Oh yeah, I said it. Gonna crucify me?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Good riddance, the manga was becoming insufferable. I can see why other non-development series like AMG were able to keep going, they constantly introduced new characters and new situations, like now K1 and Bell are forced into this race, or forced to battle another demon, or forced to contend with some other shit going on. There's rarely any time where they're just entirely alone and dealing with their relationship's growth until basically the end of the series. MGX never had that, so you're left with painfully slow development with a relationship that often seems to be regressing.

For all of those anime-only people, yeah, it still seems like the world to the two leads is open, fresh, and exciting! It isn't.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First, Urabe really comes across as the type of girl who won't be doing that type of thing before marriage.

... given Ueshiba's other work this strikes me as something that would be extremely unlikely to be a character element for Urabe given her characterisation thus far.

[although with discommunication it strikes me that between Arika simply forgetting to and Takaomi never getting around to it they'd run a 50% chance, but, "hang on we've been married six months and we've been too busy with tantric vision-quests we still haven't had penis-in-vagina sex... eeh? wtf??" isn't the same thing. Let's not talk about the sex lives of characters in Yumetsukai.]
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
That's impossible! Shocked The author still needs to do a mini-arc that ends with their first real kiss, and then another mini-arc where they finally take their relationship to another level, then a mini-arc where he finds out more about her and her family situation. THEN finally, the last arc that concludes with some love event like a festival or something, with a timeskip on the last few pages showing their married life.

The end.

I just found out about this manga when it got on crunchyroll manga section.

It's a really great love story, with high potential.
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit sad to see it go, but the author no doubt has other projects they'd like to work on. They've shown they're fairly competent, so I'd love to see them work on something they're passionate about rather than getting stale slogging away on a series just because it's popular.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
Well, this is BS news. Probably the best romance manga out there abruptly ending. I pity the fools who have complaints over this series.
t3h_3v1l_0n3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
nargun wrote:
Huh!

Rather sooner than I expected: it's been clearly wrapping up for a good while, but I thought we'd see Urabe's family situation beforehand.

Quote:
4) Maybe have a time skip to the "Mysterious Wife" phase of the relationship.

Not gonna happen. Seriously: the manga has not once hinted that the relationship would be long term. Or indeed that they'd have sex more than once. Note all that stuff a chapter or so back with the sister's ex-boyfriend? Ex, see: some relationships just don't work the way you hope.

[iI mean, Akira knows virtually nothing about Mikoto <i>because he hasn't asked</i>, and stuff like that. Compare with some of the other couples. Seriously, there's some nice subtleties here.]

There have been tons of subtle hints that they will get married all along.

First, Urabe really comes across as the type of girl who won't be doing that type of thing before marriage. That may not be common in either Japanese or western cultures, but she is an uncommon kind of girl. (I wouldn't be surprised too if they do have sex before marriage, but my bet is that Urabe won't do that.)

Second, Chapter 12 - Mysterious Memory. This would be the "Meet the mother-in-law" chapter. It happens that she is already dead. Urabe dressing up in a pretty, frilly dress and going for a grave visit with Tsubaki is a certain indication of potential matrimony. She wanted to impress his mom and dressed in a manner rather uncharacteristic for her. Incidentally, this was the chapter chosen for the final emotional scene in the anime. A very good choice, I might add.

Third, Chapter 19 - Mysterious Older Sister. In this chapter, Urabe happens to meet Tsubaki's sister in town and has a nice discussion with her in which she doesn't let it slip that they are dating. At the end of the chapter, when Urabe tells Tsubaki about the meeting, she comments "I hoped that I would have an older sister like her someday." Tsubaki, while watching her leave in stunned silence, thinks, "Maybe my 'Mysterious Girlfriend' will become my 'Mysterious Wife' someday..." and then immediately returns his brain to the regularly scheduled 17 year-old male agenda: kissing, %#$!@, and all kinds of other things...

More recently, Urabe has met his "custodial mother", meaning his sister, told her that they are dating, and gained her tacit approval of their relationship. Tsubaki doesn't know this yet, but that is immaterial in this manga.

The only thing remaining that would be needed in polite Japanese culture is for him to meet her parents and gain their approval.

The lack of knowledge of Uraba has much more to do with the whole "Mysterious" aspect than anything else. If Tsubaki was asking tons of questions and getting clear answers, Urabe would lose that sense of mystery. He has learned some things about her along the way, but usually at the expense of some new mystery.

In any event, we'll know in a little over a month... sadly enough.

EDIT: Oh, and his sister's lack of a relationship is directly related to their mother's death. She didn't go to college because mom died and she stayed home to raise her little brother in her mom's place. That has nothing to do with the mangaka's take on where the Urabe x Tsubaki relationship may be headed. I wouldn't doubt that big sis gets back together with her old flame, who she saw on the street recently, as you noted. That may be a driving force in the last two chapters... (I really hope it is. I'd like to see big sis happy.)

Now, Oka and Ueno? I don't see them making it past high school. Oka is a live wire and will want to be free and easy in college. Not to mention that Ueno is such a dolt that he hasn't figured out that his best friend is dating a girl right under his nose when his girlfriend, the class rep, and several other girls have figured it out relatively easily.

there have also been subtle hints where she says "i hope to have a sister like yours one day" or when tsubaki says that urabe taking care of him when he fell into the lake that it felt like they were married, while early on in the manga you wouldn't get that feeling because urabe was still a little cold now i don't know she seems to have opened up and has become more social. at any rate i hope the last chapter is as long as the oneshot or at the very least there is more to it ma bye a sequel with a different tittle kinda like Rosario vampire or Dance in the vampire Bund has sub titles after the original also if a series is going to end why must it be this one why not (and this is only my opinion) one of the 500+ chapter dying dogs
Newshawk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
I'd rather this go on for another 10 years instead of One Piece.

Oh yeah, I said it. Gonna crucify me?

Nope! I agree with you completely. However, I also know that there's no justice in this world...
bigmickc22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
When so many manga series are formulatic, this one always felt just a little bit kooky but at the same time compelling reading. Urabe is so weird and mysterious that she is amazing and entertaining while also maintaining an odd attraction that few other characters can pull off.
I'm always excited when I seen a new chapter available and was gutted when mangareader seemed to stall on chapter 84 for months. Enter new phone and new manga app. Hey ho, presto 7 new chapters and this sad news.
Here's hoping they finish the story with Urabe and Tsubaki having a beautiful and simple first kiss. (knowing the drools properties he'll probably see his whole, happy future)
Can't wait for the last one now.
Happy reading everyone
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
[COMMENT DELETED]

Last edited by the-antihero on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
J.F.J_Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
Sad news Sad
mcantrell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised this is ending so abruptly. Were it's ratings that bad in recent months?

nargun wrote:
Quote:
4) Maybe have a time skip to the "Mysterious Wife" phase of the relationship.

Not gonna happen. Seriously: the manga has not once hinted that the relationship would be long term. Or indeed that they'd have sex more than once.

It kinda has. The author has stated in interviews that part of his thesis behind NnK X was to show how fun a relationship can be without sex, and how kids nowadays are missing out by skipping to the end.

So, the train of thought goes as follows:

1. Urabe *knows* her first time will be with Akira. This is an established fact of the setting, set up in chapter... 1 or 2 I think? The setting has given no reason to doubt this prediction of Urabe's, so we won't: Urabe, sometime in the future, will lose her virginity to Tsubaki.

2. But here's the other side of it: Neither Urabe or Tsubaki -- but especially Urabe -- would ever go that far before marriage. Even if they would, they are definitely nowhere near that point in their relationship now, and likely won't be for another few years, at least.

Combine the two: Urabe and Tsubaki will sometime in the future get married, and that's when Urabe's prediction will come true.

Personally, I think the manga's ending chapter will end with them kissing finally, perhaps with some form of supernatural element as a result of that (seeing the future? switching bodies? Meeting his mother at the grave?), but who knows?

As zensunni mentions, the only part of the coutrship thing they're missing is Urabe getting the approval of Tsubaki's parents, and the last chapter is going to probably take place at Tsubaki's mother's gravesite. Perhaps this is when Tsubaki's dad meets Urabe and approves?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Don't think bad ratings usually matter. Running out of money though does.

Personally, I think they were hoping for a second season to continue things. The true ratings for anime, is how many units does it sell, along with associated merchandise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3