• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Preview Almost All New Shonen Jump Series from Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
shadowsythe13 wrote:
Cetais wrote:
shadowsythe13 wrote:
Please a new battle shonen manga series like similar to naruto, bleach, buso renkin, psyren but not like dbz, toriko, one piece. A series can be interesting
Did you checked World Trigger? It's like Naruto and Bleach, since it feel a bit bland with cool characters and a story line a bit boring.

Seriously, it's not that bad, it's actually quite decent.

Naruto Bleach and One Piece are currently monopolizing places for a battle manga, since Toriko's rating is quietly dropping and World Trigger isn't doing well.

There's World Trigger's anime airing this fall, which may help to boost WT a bit.

Look I'm not into world trigger, I like reading a manga that has male/female protagonist with interesting personality, love intrest, best friend, cool character, and likable support characters and cool villains, awesome story arcs, maybe get popular enough to get anime 100 episodes with movies and games just hoping like that?

Generic shonen 101.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
shadowsythe13 wrote:
Cetais wrote:
shadowsythe13 wrote:
Please a new battle shonen manga series like similar to naruto, bleach, buso renkin, psyren but not like dbz, toriko, one piece. A series can be interesting
Did you checked World Trigger? It's like Naruto and Bleach, since it feel a bit bland with cool characters and a story line a bit boring.

Seriously, it's not that bad, it's actually quite decent.

Naruto Bleach and One Piece are currently monopolizing places for a battle manga, since Toriko's rating is quietly dropping and World Trigger isn't doing well.

There's World Trigger's anime airing this fall, which may help to boost WT a bit.

Look I'm not into world trigger, I like reading a manga that has male/female protagonist with interesting personality, love intrest, best friend, cool character, and likable support characters and cool villains, awesome story arcs, maybe get popular enough to get anime 100 episodes with movies and games just hoping like that?

Generic shonen 101.

And World Trigger ticks all those boxes, so I'm not sure what that guy isn't liking.

Too sci-fi?
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Bold move. Pity we'll miss My hero Academy. That seem's rather enjoyable. As it is the popularity poll is more relevant than ever.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how I feel about this. It is good that we'll get more say on what makes it into the magazine in terms of brand new series but at the same time, we'll see so many series start & then get nothing more. Given how rarely they add new series to the magazine the chance of these series continuing in the magazine is going to be minuscule & only get less and less with each series that makes it in.

I just feel they could have used these translating resources to increase the amount of regular series in the magazine instead of this weird start then stop initiative.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
I don't know how I feel about this. It is good that we'll get more say on what makes it into the magazine in terms of brand new series but at the same time, we'll see so many series start & then get nothing more. Given how rarely they add new series to the magazine the chance of these series continuing in the magazine is going to be minuscule & only get less and less with each series that makes it in.

I just feel they could have used these translating resources to increase the amount of regular series in the magazine instead of this weird start then stop initiative.

Or Viz could expand the number of people working on Jump. Viz seems like a smart company so I don't think they'll take on more then they could handle. Sasaki has been hinting about changes on twitter for several months now. Also, WSJ in Japan only has so many titles in it at a time (about 20) many of the new titles don't survive longer than a year at most either so they'll probably be starting and ending series frequently for the ones they choose to pick up completely they also aren't going to be previewing/picking up everything that runs in Japanese WSJ.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
marvel knight wrote:
configspace wrote:
Almost all new titles?

Going by Shokugeki no Soma I think I have a good idea of what will be excluded Laughing

Most probably , only sport or really weird titles will be excluded.

Um... I'd imagine its just series which are too mature for the magazine though I suppose we'll find out soon enough.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
If we can get Hunter X Hunter, I don't think ANYTHING could be 'too mature' at this juncture.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Bring it, we need some new stuff.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
medama_oyaji wrote:
Awesome! This must be in response to the issue we've been seeing where it's hard to predict what new series will stick, and by the time one becomes clearly popular in Japan, it's too far behind to put in the English version. Too bad that we missed that recent sumo series. It seems like it may be doing well in the polls, and I'd like to read it!

It would be great if the English-speaking fans had some say in what new series stick around, but even if not, this will be cool!

agree with this. If Subscribers don't have any say on which series to stay in US Shonen jump, getting only the first 3 chapters are meaningless to me.

I'm thinking the same thing as well. Reading the first 3 chapters of a series I may never be able to read again in english doesn't mean much, so hopefully some of these will come back to stay.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
I think they mean 3 chapters minimum. And then more based on reader feedback or other factors. Not just only 3 chapters ever.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to repost what I put on the VizManga site (with a bit added):

Quote:
Okay so the podcast answered some questions about the Jump Start initiative: there's going to be a variety of factors determining which series stay. The ones they listed were Facebook, Twitter, the reaction in Japan, and the surveys. Also they're going to try to preview every series that starts in Japanese Weekly Shonen Jump though there may be exceptions.

So in other words, they're going to be seeing the reaction over here as well as the reaction in Japan when deciding which previewed series stay. Does that answer some people's question?
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
I'm just going to repost what I put on the VizManga site (with a bit added):

Quote:
Okay so the podcast answered some questions about the Jump Start initiative: there's going to be a variety of factors determining which series stay. The ones they listed were Facebook, Twitter, the reaction in Japan, and the surveys. Also they're going to try to preview every series that starts in Japanese Weekly Shonen Jump though there may be exceptions.

So in other words, they're going to be seeing the reaction over here as well as the reaction in Japan when deciding which previewed series stay. Does that answer some people's question?

Yes, thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2