• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Original Red Ranger Austin St. John in Talks to Return for Dino Charge

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
AmuroNT1 wrote:
I know people will immediately suggest Jason David Frank, since he was in both seasons and has said he loves coming back, but ironically neither of the Rangers he played actually appeared in the Great Dinosaur War, so they'd have to do entirely new footage just to include him.

Also, doesn't JDF hate ASJ or something?

That's an understatement. JDF had an interview with No Pink Spandex a while back and ended up going on a 20 minute tirade about ASJ.

2 weeks ago, he took a clip of ASJ at a convention (ASJ was teaching a woman some self defense tactics and said that if he was fighting someone with long hair he'd grab it and toss them around) and cut it to make it look like ASJ was dissing martial artists with long hair and had this long rant on facebook. When a good chunk of his followers called him out on being immature about stuff that happened on set 20 years ago, he promptly deleted the post.

Ha! I knew somebody would bring this up. I was surprised to see the video controversy end the way it did. For years, Jason has badmouthed Austin at various conventions and fans have always enabled his behavior by cheering him on. He probably figured this would be one more time for fans to stroke his ego. I don’t know why it backfired, but I’m glad to see people finally call him out. It’s been 20 years. Let it go. He’s as bad as Kevin Sorbo.

Coincidentally, I met Jason exactly 1 year ago today. I attended his $75 Meet & Greet at Wizard World Chicago. Unfortunately, it wasn’t that great of an experience because while he was nice to fans, I got the impression he was a douche. He spent the majority of the event going on and on about people he didn’t like, especially Austin. And what he said about Amy Jo Johnson made me really not like him. He criticized her because she doesn’t attend conventions. Although, she said in an interview she doesn’t feel safe going due to an incident in the past involving a stalker. I’d say her reason is totally understandable. He should mind his own business. If that wasn’t bad enough, Jason also said she should be a spokesperson for breast cancer. He shared his idea to us on how she could go to various Comic Cons in her Pink Ranger outfit and use that as some kind of theme to bring awareness to the disease. How disgusting was that? Amy lost her mom to cancer and here’s Jason shooting his mouth off to fanboys about something that might be a touchy subject for her. I guarantee you if the roles were reversed and it was Amy telling fans that Jason should be a spokesperson for the illness that took his brother Erik’s life, she’d never hear the end of it. And neither would the fans. Looking back, I regret not using my $75 on a photo op with The Shield. They were great.
scriver058

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Fedora-san wrote:

Got to say, for a show originally about samba dancing carnival dinosaurs they sure are taking it pretty seriously. Makes me want to see how they'll market ToQger.

Carranger > Turbo
G-Onger > RPM

They do tend to take the lighthearted stories and flip them around.

And in Carranger/Turbo's case, Saban botched Turbo so bad I wish they would've stuck closer to the tone of the original. Don't know how you try to make zords wearing plaid sweaters and rangers getting baked into pizzas a serious matter.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
scriver058 wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
Fedora-san wrote:

Got to say, for a show originally about samba dancing carnival dinosaurs they sure are taking it pretty seriously. Makes me want to see how they'll market ToQger.

Carranger > Turbo
G-Onger > RPM

They do tend to take the lighthearted stories and flip them around.

And in Carranger/Turbo's case, Saban botched Turbo so bad I wish they would've stuck closer to the tone of the original. Don't know how you try to make zords wearing plaid sweaters and rangers getting baked into pizzas a serious matter.

They never did. I mean how serious was Turbo. Not that serious really. Look at Divatox and her group.
scriver058

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
^It wasn't uncommon for there to be a bumbling comedy relief act or two among the villains in the sentai and it's Power Rangers counterparts though, MMPR had em as did Zeo. Turbo had em, but that's not necessarily the issue. Gekisou Sentai Carranger was a parody of the sentai genre, and Saban took that and tried to play it a lot more straight in Turbo but elements of it were still very much present in the sentai footage they used which often made the whole thing awkward as hell, which resulted in the worst season of Power Rangers and nearly got the whole thing canceled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2