• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Silver Link Makes Yuri Kuma Arashi TV Anime by Utena/Penguindrum's Ikuhara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulelle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
The only Shinbo imitator at that studio is Oonuma and he obviously won't be directing this show. Silver Link does suck though.
I don't think he's the imitator. I think Shinbo took a lot form Oonuma instead. The problem is, Oonuma has tons of ideas how to deliver visually, but if there's no mastermind behind these ideas, he ends up with Dusk Maiden of Amnesia at best. That said, Oonuma is a great assistance director. So I'm pretty positive about the studio.
The character designer for the show animated Madoka. So as I wrote on MAL, the Shaft's vibes are inevitable here, but Ikuhara's vibes are certainly stronger.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
^Seeing as how Shinbo's been in the business for longer than Onuma and that Shinbo's weirdness can be traced back to older shows like The Soultaker and Twilight of the Dark Master, I'm pretty sure Onuma's the one inspired by him. (I prefer Onuma anyway, Shinbo's style is too hyperactive for me). I've got no problems with Silver Link, as the cute character art looks like a good fit for them. But naturally it's Ikuhara involvement that's most important, and I can't wait to see what he has in store.
DigitalFowl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
YEAAAH, new Ikuhara anime! That guy is genius, Penguindrum is one of my favorite things that I watched...
Quote:
The studio SILVER LINK is producing the animation.

Wait what, [expletive] Sliver Link? That bit of a news certainly grounded my enthusiasm but I am still excited.

I really can't stand close minded perspectives like this about animation.

I've seen Silver Link do fine handling Strike the Blood, WataMote, Fate/Kaleid and other shit, give them some credit. Don't just it until you have a freaking animation sample of the show either...

I'm really looking forward to this and hope that YKA turns out to be as wholesome in depth as penguindrum was.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
That's... a very literal title? Yuri Kuma Arashi is yuri bear storm. Great, it doesn't need sexual metaphors added to it, it comes with its own just from the title.

Maybe it should be "Lily Bear Storm"?
soulelle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
^Seeing as how Shinbo's been in the business for longer than Onuma and that Shinbo's weirdness can be traced back to older shows like The Soultaker and Twilight of the Dark Master, I'm pretty sure Onuma's the one inspired by him.
Sure-sure, no objections here. Tenamonya Voyagers's another great example of Shinbou's original style. Just saying Oonuma's works are not merely copy-pasting. He certainly added to it. Squared boke lights alone are worth mentioning as an example.

kevinx59 wrote:
But naturally it's Ikuhara involvement that's most important, and I can't wait to see what he has in store.
Couldn't agree more! Really looking forward to the show!

I'm curious about the dates. So what is it exactly that's happening on 9.15, 9.30, 10.10, 10.20, and 10.30? Are those to open different sections of the website? Or are those the PVs? Wish it were middle of September already Smile

EyeOfPain wrote:
Maybe it should be "Lily Bear Storm"?
One can't be certain for 100%, but no, very unlikely. In the Japanese title "yuri" is clearly written in katakana, not in kanji. This pretty much settles the genre. Based on the first manga chapters, the theme is pretty much "yuri" as well.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sure-sure, no objections here. Tenamonya Voyagers's another great example of Shinbou's original style. Just saying Oonuma's works are not merely copy-pasting. He certainly added to it. Squared boke lights alone are worth mentioning as an example.

Squared boke lights is something that was unfortunately introduced by Seiji Kishi on Jinrui was Suitaishimashita , man Oonuma has really bad influences.
Quote:

I've seen Silver Link do fine handling Strike the Blood, WataMote, Fate/Kaleid and other shit, give them some credit. Don't just it until you have a freaking animation sample of the show either...

I watched Watamote and some of the other shit they produced. None of them had actually good animation, though there were a couple of cool action action scenes in Fate/Kaleid.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Yayyyyy!! Love it! So glad we don't have to wait another 15 years to see the next Ikuhara show! And I'm SO looking forward to seeing Morishima's adoraboo art animated.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
So, is this an adaption? Or is this like Penguindrum where the manga was released alongside the anime, but they ended up having roughly the same story? Because truth be told, I can't see Ikuhara doing anything but an original story. Anime hyper
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Very hesitant. Penguindrum was a huge mess for me in the second half. I'd like to check this out, but I don't want to waste my time on another dud.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
dm wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
YEAAAH, new Ikuhara anime! That guy is genius, Penguindrum is one of my favorite things that I watched...
Quote:
The studio SILVER LINK is producing the animation.

Wait what, [expletive] Sliver Link? That bit of a news certainly grounded my enthusiasm but I am still excited.

You do realize that Penguindrum is a Silver Link production, don't you?

Penguindrum was Brains Base production.

So it was --- I'd misinterpreted ANN Encyclopedia's "Anime Production" listing for Silver Link, and should have double-checked with their Penguindrum page.

I've enjoyed those of their works I've watched (though I'm quick to drop series --- or even pass on series --- that don't sound like they'll interest me). Mostly when I think Silver Link I think Shun Oonuma, which is a plus in my book
Izu0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it'll be 1 or 5 minutes episode! There is only 1 chapter for the manga!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
soulelle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Squared boke lights is something that was unfortunately introduced by Seiji Kishi on Jinrui was Suitaishimashita , man Oonuma has really bad influences.
Oonuma used those in Natsu no Arashi and as early as "ef - a tale of memories". Don't know Seiji Kishi's works that much, but I was sure that Jinrui's lights were influenced by Oonuma's works xD Don't have 100% proofs though.

whiskeyii wrote:
So, is this an adaption? Or is this like Penguindrum where the manga was released alongside the anime, but they ended up having roughly the same story? Because truth be told, I can't see Ikuhara doing anything but an original story. Anime hyper
It's exactly the same as with Utena. The story in both cases is by Ikuhara. Manga in both cases starts earlier than anime. The difference is the mangaka. For Utena it was Chiho Saito. For YKA it's Morishima Akiko.

Izu ☻ wrote:
Looks like it'll be 1 or 5 minutes episode! There is only 1 chapter for the manga!!
No, there's more. It's currently published in Comic Birz at the end of each month. In a week, the 7th chapter is to be released. They also promised the Vol1 of the tankoubon. If you google chinese websites, you may find Chinese scans up till chapter 3.
And I'm pretty sure that just like it was with Utena, the anime will be a lot more than a manga.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:41 am Reply with quote
Er, a bit off topic, but what are these square boke lights you all are talking about? Are you guys referring to those geometric shapes/colors whatever stuff in the backgrounds of Watamote, cause if you guys are I swear I've seen them before in some of Osamu Dezaki's works.
soulelle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:10 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Er, a bit off topic, but what are these square boke lights you all are talking about? Are you guys referring to those geometric shapes/colors whatever stuff in the backgrounds of Watamote, cause if you guys are I swear I've seen them before in some of Osamu Dezaki's works.
I'll post the screenshots later today, but I think you got the point right anyway ^^
And no wonder can you trace them back to Dezaki - his works are known to be influential on the whole industry. Ikuhara and Shinbou themselves took a lot from him as far as I read. Could you perhaps point to the episode with squared boke, by the way? I haven't watched all of his works, so I'm willing to fill the gap ^^
Rederoin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I watched Watamote and some of the other shit they produced. None of them had actually good animation, though there were a couple of cool action action scenes in Fate/Kaleid.

The budget should be blamed for that, not the studio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3