• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kuroko's Basketball Manga to End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:

All WSJ Manga end on short notice. This is normal for them. They usually do a “next chapter big announcement” and then then end the Manga the next week. This is normal for them, at best you get a “this manga ends in 3 chapter” notice. Plus I don’t think it it’s the second bestselling one (at least on Volume Base which is what counts the most). Both One Piece, Naruto and HxH sell definitely more per Volume. I think Assclass and Bleach might too. And I think Haikyuu!! has reached around that level.
They do not have a choice than to end it. It has reached it “natural” end. While it has never stopped them from prolonging a series, this usually doesn’t end well and they are forced to end it like for which Death Note and Eyeshild 21 are good examples for.

It's normal for unpopular series that get cancelled to end on short notice, there's no denying that, but long-running, popular series that end "naturally" usually have at least some sort of announcement with anticipation (how long has it been since Kishimoto said Naruto was about to end? And Bleach entered its "final" arc two years ago). The latest manga chapter ended with "shocking new development to come" too.

As for the sales, IIRC KuroBas was the third best-selling manga by series last year (only topped by AoT and OP), and it's madly popular in Japan right now. Even if there are new forerunners like AssClass and Haikyuu, with two major series already nearing their ends (Bleach and Naruto) and others falling out of popularity (Nisekoi and Toriko haven't been selling as much lately afaik), it would strike me as strange that Shueisha would let such a cash cow end like that.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Ok, 2 week sales numbers of the latest volumes of WSJ series for reference on the subject:
One Piece 74 (June): 2,256k after 12 days
Hunter x Hunter 32 (December 2012): 883k after 10 days
Naruto 70 (August): 744k after 14 days
Haikyuu!! 12 (August): 552k after 14 days
Kuroko no Basuke 28 (July): 491k after 10 days
Assassination Classroom 10 (July): 470k after 10 days
Bleach 63 (May): 415k after 10 days
Nisekoi 13 (August): 308k after 14 days
Toriko 30 (June): 257k after 12 days
Shokugeki no Souma 8 (July): 240k after 10 days
Gintama 55 (July): 213k after 10 days
World Trigger 6 (June): 100k after 12 days
Saiki Kusuo no PsiNan 9 (July): 85k after 10 days
Isobe Isobee 3 (July): 44k after 10 days
Illegal Rare 2 (August): 38k after 7 days; did not chart in 2nd week

It's worth pointing out that PsiNan and Isobe are gag series; those traditionally have low sales. So they look bad in comparison to the rest, but for their genre, they're actually doing quite well.
Gintama and Toriko are trending downward; I remember their numbers usually being in the high 200k/lower 300k by the 2nd week. Naruto's also slipping downward from its usual 800k+ after week 2.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping instead of ending itd be transferred to another magazine to run its course (if he truly wants to end the series and provide some epilogue of sorts, like Beelzebub has been doing three chapters now).

Article doesnt seem to rule out the possibility of it continuing in other magazines, so, Ill remain hopefully, assuming they truly do have a magazine scan that confirms it is ending in only one chapter.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
If an author wants to end an series, Shueisha will let him do that. Dragonball ended. Slam Dunk ended. And those two weren't exactly limping to the end (aside: anybody who claims that Dragonball ended cause it wasn't doing well is pulling things out of their rear end) . Dragonball's last volume had an initial print of 1.5 million; Slam Dunk's got 1.6 million. 1.5-1.6 million is a pretty big initial print. The latest Naruto volume's initial print is 1.4 million. Which tell us that when they published the final volumes of those two example series, they expected those books to move.

Edit: I get my WSJ initial print numbers from here
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
But there's been no indication about the ending coming, as you said, even series that get canned on short notice get a "Next week: Final chapter" tag or something along those lines. Kuroko didn't, in fact, the editor's tag said "shocking new development". It seems like this "ending" was decided overnight. Unless the "new development" means a new spinoff series or something it all feels way too abrupt for such a popular series to end like that.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Ok, 2 week sales numbers of the latest volumes of WSJ series for reference on the subject:
One Piece 74 (June): 2,256k after 12 days
Hunter x Hunter 32 (December 2012): 883k after 10 days
Naruto 70 (August): 744k after 14 days
Haikyuu!! 12 (August): 552k after 14 days
Kuroko no Basuke 28 (July): 491k after 10 days
Assassination Classroom 10 (July): 470k after 10 days
Bleach 63 (May): 415k after 10 days
Nisekoi 13 (August): 308k after 14 days
Toriko 30 (June): 257k after 12 days
Shokugeki no Souma 8 (July): 240k after 10 days
Gintama 55 (July): 213k after 10 days
World Trigger 6 (June): 100k after 12 days
Saiki Kusuo no PsiNan 9 (July): 85k after 10 days
Isobe Isobee 3 (July): 44k after 10 days
Illegal Rare 2 (August): 38k after 7 days; did not chart in 2nd week

It's worth pointing out that PsiNan and Isobe are gag series; those traditionally have low sales. So they look bad in comparison to the rest, but for their genre, they're actually doing quite well.
Gintama and Toriko are trending downward; I remember their numbers usually being in the high 200k/lower 300k by the 2nd week. Naruto's also slipping downward from its usual 800k+ after week 2.

2week manga sales dont really mean much as there is really no significance to naruto selling faster in two weeks than usual, when at the end of its life time on the charts and end of year, the volumes are still over 1mln suggesting that naruto has remain stable and not slipped downward.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I picked 2 weeks since August releases haven't gotten to 3 or more weeks yet. I normally pick 3 weeks since by the 4th a lot of series won't make the weekly Oricon chart.

I should point out the 5th week disparity between Naruto 68 and 69. Vol 68 got to 981k after 34 days, vol 69 reached 869k after 31 days.
From vol 42 to vol 66, the vast majority of the time, Naruto will hit ~1 million, or very close to it, after the 5th week. (vol 69 also didn't hit the charts in week 6, so it fell out of the charts below 900k)

The underlying point is that without external impetus (usually the anime boost), sales per week curves downward. There are some small week to week fluctuations, but as you get further from release, you expect a slowing trickle (which usually doesn't completely stop, but will reach insignificant numbers).
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
But there's been no indication about the ending coming, as you said, even series that get canned on short notice get a "Next week: Final chapter" tag or something along those lines. Kuroko didn't, in fact, the editor's tag said "shocking new development". It seems like this "ending" was decided overnight. Unless the "new development" means a new spinoff series or something it all feels way too abrupt for such a popular series to end like that.

It wasn't something decided overnight, in fact it was well known a popular series in JUMP was gonna end soon (in september), Stephen from SJ had said so..

Here's something I wrote in other forum so I'll just copy/paste because I feel lazy to write:

Jump likes to finish their series cool turkey... Like really, really, cool turkey. I stilll remember back when I heard of Shaman King's first ending, I couldn't believe it, at least Kuroko while not completely expected it was, you know, kinda expected... Not so much with Slam Dunk's ending..

I can only imagine what the readers of series with mythical endings like Saint Seiya (cancelled), Dragon ball (Sudden in a what the heck happened way), Yu Yu Hakusho (Sudden in a wtf way) and Hikaru No Go (Sudden in the worst possible way) felt when it happened.

I still remember we knew that Prince of Tennis was gonna finish some weeks before it actually happened (and it was fairly obvious being a sport manga in the last part of its national tournament arc) but I think that was an exception to the rule of JUMP finishing series super fast.

So tl;dr, this isn't the first time JUMP finishes a series on a short or non existant notice, it has happened a lot of times in the past and to my memory it happened with Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh!, they just finished without saying anything.

Somewhere: I have been curious about Shaman King's print numbers and also Saint Seiya's printing numbers, these series were popular but then lost their appeal and got cancelled, do you happen to know their print numbers? Does that website have it? Like the first volume vs the last volume or something like that?

Last edited by perroloco on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:

The underlying point is that without external impetus (usually the anime boost), sales per week curves downward. There are some small week to week fluctuations, but as you get further from release, you expect a slowing trickle (which usually doesn't completely stop, but will reach insignificant numbers).

But they dont go down in the long run which is why print run numbers or year end numbers are better than week to week on oricon 50, which sales are also affected by number of other new manga releasing in the week, and holidays (sales boosts...)
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been following this at all. But I'm pretty shocked. It's so popular and usually ones like this drag out for a long time. One Piece needs to take note of this.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, we're still like 2.5 months away from the end of the year, but if we want to talk print numbers, we see Naruto curving downward a bit from the 1.52-1.53 million area of vol 62-63 to 1.42 million for vol 67 and the aforementioned 1.4 million for vol 68. (my error; vol 69's initial print wasn't put up)

Although comparing end of year numbers of volumes within the same series is a bit silly since naturally, the older volumes have the advantage of being released months earlier so they get more time to grow from the usual longterm trickle.
simona.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
they just can't [also marketing-wise] abruptly finish a top-selling series with no notice [there is nothing of the sort written on last week's Jump] while the 3rd anime season is in the works. I'm sure there's something cooking.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else remember Claymore "ending?"

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-05-03/claymore-manga-series-ends-in-jump-square-magazine

I have a feeling the same thing might be going on here.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
simona.com wrote:
they just can't [also marketing-wise] abruptly finish a top-selling series with no notice [there is nothing of the sort written on last week's Jump] while the 3rd anime season is in the works. I'm sure there's something cooking.

I thought itd at least last that long, didn't bakuman 3 anime airing time have some overlap with the manga?
MohaCario

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I mean, if they said something like 'huge announcement next issue', then it's probably just an accurate date for the third season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5