Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Free! Eternal Summer


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sunflower



Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Posts: 1080
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 11


Haru's explosion of emotion was nice and I think he needs to be more expressive. But right now he's turning into a whiny brat who needs to grow up. I suppose that's the point of this season though, right? So his maturity should go up next episode when Rin beats it into him. (Rin's already been through this so hopefully he can quickly guide Haru past this stage. And then express his love as they run off together into the Australian sunset. Anime hyper)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the_windcaster



Joined: 16 Jun 2006
Posts: 47
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
12

I can't help but disagree. A show that has spent time amid the fanservice working through its characters issues logically and consistently, if rushed/contrived, has completely and utterly contradicted itself here. We just came off of Haru spoiler[collapsing under the pressure of competition] only now to spoiler[have a vision of even greater competition spur him to swim alone again]? This episode was a serious letdown in the development of Haru's arc. Maybe the finale will make the pieces fit, but this episode alone can't be judged on that hope.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
laureninspace



Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Posts: 46
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
the_windcaster wrote:
12

I can't help but disagree. A show that has spent time amid the fanservice working through its characters issues logically and consistently, if rushed/contrived, has completely and utterly contradicted itself here. We just came off of Haru spoiler[collapsing under the pressure of competition] only now to spoiler[have a vision of even greater competition spur him to swim alone again]? This episode was a serious letdown in the development of Haru's arc. Maybe the finale will make the pieces fit, but this episode alone can't be judged on that hope.


Thanks for weighing in! For me this was a return to the first season of Free! Things have gotten so dark lately that I found a shift refreshing. I guess I should have put it in the review, but I saw Haru's issues coming from spoiler[the pressure of swimming for somebody else, while his renewed dream to swim on a global scale is his own vision]. Through that lens, it might fit more neatly into Haru's self-discovery. But you know, until he actually TELLS US it's up to interpretation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the_windcaster



Joined: 16 Jun 2006
Posts: 47
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
laureninspace wrote:


Thanks for weighing in! For me this was a return to the first season of Free! Things have gotten so dark lately that I found a shift refreshing. I guess I should have put it in the review, but I saw Haru's issues coming from spoiler[the pressure of swimming for somebody else, while his renewed dream to swim on a global scale is his own vision]. Through that lens, it might fit more neatly into Haru's self-discovery. But you know, until he actually TELLS US it's up to interpretation.


That could be, but I still find it hard to believe since spoiler[if he's swimming on a global scale, he's either competing in the Olympics (under pressure from his country) or in other international championships with sponsorships (under pressure to perform or lose financial backing).] Having been swimming for so long, he has to be aware of these options and what they would mean. Or, if not, he's going to be in for a cruel awakening at the expense of Rin's friendship spoiler[instead of Makoto]. They also just established last week that spoiler[he won't do it even for the sake of showing his infectious love of swimming for others], so if a bar that low still makes him prickle, how could this vision lead him to reconsider?

On the OTHER hand, I could see it as spoiler[Rin being the only person that has taken any -actions- instead of talking at Haru about his dreams. Maybe it's actually brushing shoulders with someone from another country that speaks another language but with swimming as a common ground that forces him to broaden his horizons and see how big the world really is? Gives him a chance to dip his proverbial toe in the water instead of talking and worrying about it.] Now, THAT I could buy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9321
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Wish more companies would follow Kyo-Ani's example and either grab people off the street or find a way to get proper speakers elsewhere. Maybe it's a budget thing, since Free isn't the first time they've gone that extra length to not introduce horrible Engrish when characters aren't in Japan, it was much appreciated in the K-ON movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sunflower



Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Posts: 1080
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I thought the resolution of Haru's predicament was fine. He had an epiphany. Epiphanies are often brought on by changes of environment, during travel. Epiphanies are sudden. It made complete sense to me that it would happen there, that way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KENZICHI



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 1053
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I thought the resolution of Haru's predicament was fine. He had an epiphany. Epiphanies are often brought on by changes of environment, during travel. Epiphanies are sudden. It made complete sense to me that it would happen there, that way.


At first I was sort of disappointed on how Haru found his dream, but after you say this I can agree. It didn't go the exact same way, but a change in scenery when I was in a rut helped me out too. It just seemed like nothing really happened for him to find himself though I did enjoy this episode greatly. I do agree with another comment about Haru swimming for a team abroad would put the same amount of pressure on him as before. I just feel that Haru would truly be happy just going to a school with a pool. Just do that Haru.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sunflower



Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Posts: 1080
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
sunflower wrote:
I thought the resolution of Haru's predicament was fine. He had an epiphany. Epiphanies are often brought on by changes of environment, during travel. Epiphanies are sudden. It made complete sense to me that it would happen there, that way.


At first I was sort of disappointed on how Haru found his dream, but after you say this I can agree. It didn't go the exact same way, but a change in scenery when I was in a rut helped me out too. It just seemed like nothing really happened for him to find himself though I did enjoy this episode greatly. I do agree with another comment about Haru swimming for a team abroad would put the same amount of pressure on him as before. I just feel that Haru would truly be happy just going to a school with a pool. Just do that Haru.


I thought it was related to seeing Rin in the kind of lifestyle he might have, and seeing that it's fun. And when the Olympic guy next to him dove in with a great smile and look of fun, he knew suddenly he could have the competition and keep his love for swimming. So I saw a reason and it worked for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KENZICHI



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 1053
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
sunflower wrote:
I thought the resolution of Haru's predicament was fine. He had an epiphany. Epiphanies are often brought on by changes of environment, during travel. Epiphanies are sudden. It made complete sense to me that it would happen there, that way.


At first I was sort of disappointed on how Haru found his dream, but after you say this I can agree. It didn't go the exact same way, but a change in scenery when I was in a rut helped me out too. It just seemed like nothing really happened for him to find himself though I did enjoy this episode greatly. I do agree with another comment about Haru swimming for a team abroad would put the same amount of pressure on him as before. I just feel that Haru would truly be happy just going to a school with a pool. Just do that Haru.


I thought it was related to seeing Rin in the kind of lifestyle he might have, and seeing that it's fun. And when the Olympic guy next to him dove in with a great smile and look of fun, he knew suddenly he could have the competition and keep his love for swimming. So I saw a reason and it worked for me.


Yeahhhhhh, but I'm sure Haru knows that everyone has a different opinion on everything. Just because the Olympic guy next to him is having fun doesn't mean he will. And just because the guy smiled and looked like he was having fun? Nah, then he would have been convinced ages ago with Rin or other competitive swimmers that looked like they were 'having fun'. And for all he knows the guy is smiling because he loves friendly competition. That was never Haru's thing. It just felt lack luster truthfully.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 9304
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
the_windcaster wrote:
I saw Haru's issues coming from spoiler[the pressure of swimming for somebody else, while his renewed dream to swim on a global scale is his own vision].

I never felt Haru had a dream to swim competitively on a global scale. It was like pulling teeth to get him interested in competition on a national scale, or even a local one. In that group picture of their team as children, he looks decidedly uncomfortable about winning, almost as if he were ashamed he'd gotten caught up in the competitive spirit.

laureninspace wrote:
On the OTHER hand, I could see it as spoiler[Rin being the only person that has taken any -actions- instead of talking at Haru about his dreams. Maybe it's actually brushing shoulders with someone from another country that speaks another language but with swimming as a common ground that forces him to broaden his horizons and see how big the world really is? Gives him a chance to dip his proverbial toe in the water instead of talking and worrying about it.] Now, THAT I could buy.

These are good points. It seemed to me in episode 9, he wasn't feeling the pressure of competition, but rather the pressure to decide his future in that moment (since scouts were watching). Where water and swimming had been his escape, now everyone's expectations had turned it into a net to hold him down and force him to confront his future, and he couldn't cope with that. At that point he was still willing to swim for his friends, but not for himself.

Rin's change of scenery let him experience first hand that while change is unavoidable, it can be wonderful, and not a thing to dread or mourn. Haru's cutting Rin off at the beach with "yeah, you experienced things, while I just stayed home," was his first admission of sensing the future might hold something more for him than loss, or even the comfortable same old same old. By the time they got to the spoiler[aquatic center], he was finally ready to open his eyes and see the possibilities.

Lauren, do you know that they used native speakers for the English, or are you just going by how it sounded to you? I ask because to my ears, although her accent and inflection were impeccable, Tellina Lee didn't sound like a native speaker (some gliding of s into sh and trouble with some r's). Also it seemed like the audio quality of the English dialog (except Rin's) was muddy, like they were doing it in a different studio with poor accoustics, or crispness was lost in transmission or something. But maybe my ears are just bad. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sunflower



Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Posts: 1080
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Yeahhhhhh, but I'm sure Haru knows that everyone has a different opinion on everything. Just because the Olympic guy next to him is having fun doesn't mean he will. And just because the guy smiled and looked like he was having fun? Nah, then he would have been convinced ages ago with Rin or other competitive swimmers that looked like they were 'having fun'. And for all he knows the guy is smiling because he loves friendly competition. That was never Haru's thing. It just felt lack luster truthfully.


He knows that in his head, but he doesn't know it in his heart. To him, competitive swimming without his friends by his side means stress and fear and everything that happened to him in that race where he stopped.

I had an epiphany once-- well I've had a few lol, but this one was caused by the smile of an unknown girl in a high school hallway. It changed my life. It gave me an instant knowledge of the direction I wanted to follow in life. That smile was vitally important, because it spoke of the environment, one different than what I was used to. It gave me a new perspective. It made me realize how important a smile to a stranger was, and that I could have that too, there. I had friends who smiled. But this, there, had a different meaning. So, yeah, it happens.

I think that the fear fell away in that moment for him. That he knew he'd find friends everywhere and that a career swimming didn't have to be terrifying and alone. I guess they didn't get it across as well as they should have, but it felt complete to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ryonomiko
Subscriber



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Posts: 65
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
An A? So very far from it. Of course, opinions differ.

spoiler[A single VIEW and POOF magically Haru has his dream? Haru himself said in Ep11, I can find my dream just by looking? Well, damn apparently yes. I don't buy it and nor can accept that a pro swimmer career path really suits HIM (it's not a matter of his skill, if you're going to try to be the best, you have to give a damn about times and beating people to not even a single wiff of have we had from Haru EVER. So what, he was just in "denial"?!). That this trip would help him acknowledge he needs to step forward (as Sousuke yelled at him in Ep11) into his future, that things have to change, and hopefully an idea of what his future could be is what I (sadly) hoped for. You can't be a pro swimmer for that many years. Training and training ass off at a chance to be #1? Can see Haru trying to do endoresments, being in the public eye, interviews? No, that's not him. It's definitely Rin.]

If you're going to review an episode, keep the shipping out of it please. Kinda easy to see where YOU lean.

Rin barely tried to talk to Haru in 11 episodes. But here's ep12. Go OD on them.

Rin returning the favour to Haru from S1 *rolls eyes*. That he wanted to help Haru is great. spoiler[That rest of the Iwatobi boys could NOT (Ep11) is beyond sad. Rin wouldn't have even KNOWN state Haru was in if Makoto hadn't e-mailed.]

spoiler[Rin can't be his best, won't be ABLE to if Haru isn't there to be his rival? It's your dream to be top of the world, you should have confidence in your skills then.]

Ep11 was entirely nesessary, although I can't agree with how certain characters were bent to get to that point. But the writing (no thanks to Utusmi's LOVE of RIN) has all been to get to a certain point and to hell with keeping the characters true to themselves.

Anime magazine interview with Yokotani and the producer mentions about how things go in reality, the separation theme especially, which I can't stand how it's perfectly fine to enforce it upon two friends who have been together since grade 1 (if not earlier) day in and day out spoiler[and just drop the bomb of Makoto "I"m going to Tokyo" (no WHY or WHAT for, this single line is exactly what Yokotani said in Prince Animage interview Fall 2013 (in which ihe most definitely did NOT think Haru would be a pro swimmer!!)) and maybe this important friendship will get a line or two in Ep13 instead of a long scene they deserve (because damn writer's put it off and off so could get to the fight in Ep11)] when we're dealing with fiction. And there's been no shortage of fiction, as in no LOGIC, applied to the writing in every episode of ES! Ep12 for example: Haru's OLD passport got him into the country? Who paid for his plane ticket?

Live happliy ever after? So very far from seeing it. I know a whole segment of fans who most definitely did not get what they wanted with today's episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SquadmemberRitsu



Joined: 26 Jan 2012
Posts: 1384
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
Holy shit. An episode where they go to Australia and the people have authentic Australian accents? I've really got to catch up.

I was really impressed with what KyoAni did for the K-ON Movie in the middle part of the movie where they traveled to London. I doubt the scale of a TV show would allow for something as grand as what they did with a movie budget but the idea of seeing my own country through KyoAni's eyes sounds pretty cool nonetheless.

Hopefully if Funimation ever get around to dubbing the series they can retain the same authenticity. While I have some pretty mixed opinions about the K-ON Dub (Particularly Season 2 where Sentai's involvement led to some very awkward dialogue) I thought it was pretty cool how they got LittleKuriboh to voice some of the British people in the movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Merida
Subscriber



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1945
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
ryonomiko wrote:

If you're going to review an episode, keep the shipping out of it please. Kinda easy to see where YOU lean


If you're going to criticize a review based on alleged shipping bias, you should probably try to conceal your own bias a bit better next time because otherwise it just makes you sound like a huge hypocrite Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
KENZICHI



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 1053
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
Yeahhhhhh, but I'm sure Haru knows that everyone has a different opinion on everything. Just because the Olympic guy next to him is having fun doesn't mean he will. And just because the guy smiled and looked like he was having fun? Nah, then he would have been convinced ages ago with Rin or other competitive swimmers that looked like they were 'having fun'. And for all he knows the guy is smiling because he loves friendly competition. That was never Haru's thing. It just felt lack luster truthfully.


He knows that in his head, but he doesn't know it in his heart. To him, competitive swimming without his friends by his side means stress and fear and everything that happened to him in that race where he stopped.

I had an epiphany once-- well I've had a few lol, but this one was caused by the smile of an unknown girl in a high school hallway. It changed my life. It gave me an instant knowledge of the direction I wanted to follow in life. That smile was vitally important, because it spoke of the environment, one different than what I was used to. It gave me a new perspective. It made me realize how important a smile to a stranger was, and that I could have that too, there. I had friends who smiled. But this, there, had a different meaning. So, yeah, it happens.

I think that the fear fell away in that moment for him. That he knew he'd find friends everywhere and that a career swimming didn't have to be terrifying and alone. I guess they didn't get it across as well as they should have, but it felt complete to me.



It felt complete to you because you've experienced it before just like how I felt in episode 11 (or pretty much all of Haru in season 2 lol).


Last edited by KENZICHI on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group