• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ai Tenchi Muyo Brings Back Original Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
My mistake. I for some reason thought the two arcs in OVA 3 were considered separate OVA's.

Np. I was figuring you guys were talking about GXP or WoG and just wanted clarification on what is what.

Alan45 wrote:
@penguintruth

While I agree that OAV 3 could have been better, all they ever did in the first two OAVs is sit around the Japanese countryside and wait for something to interesting to happen.

While I'm pro-MK (all the other AUs make me confident no one else can pilot this series and AIC seemed intent on bungling it up from the outset), I see where PT is coming from.

I never really got the satisfaction of a good Tenchi/Z battle that OAV2 was building towards and far too much time on irrelevancies (Misao/Mashisu should have been a GXP plot at best, the first OAV3 episode with clashing old animation flashbacks, Seto).

After years, I finally like Noike almost as much as Kiyone, but only after understanding her background and why Seto adopted her.

The thing that really gave me hope lately were the recent -IF- doujins. I really wish MK saw more adventures to put Tenchi on rather than Kenshi/Seina/et al as I don't like them as much. They're ok, but it's not Tenchi.

Strangely, GXP is much more successful in Japan and WoG is much more successful here. MK was spending the last decade working on GXP novels and the like and that's not something I can really follow with enthushiasm.

Last edited by jibrilmudo on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:22 am; edited 2 times in total
antvasima

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
I think that the problem with OVA 3 was simply that there had been 8 years since the end of the last series, which gave Mister Kajishima too little space in just 7 episodes to cram in all of the ideas that he had come up with since then. Confused
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:

I know Washu's character background. My point is she wasn't sexualized in the original so of course they had to go ahead and do it now. In other words, for no reason. And wow at your reasoning.

If I were to bet money, then it would be about making money in the eventual merch sales.

Frankly, as far as "anime ladies" go the new Washu design is pretty tame, if you have an issue with a woman showing off cleavage while wearing a short cut dress that would be your own problem.

You continue to miss my point. I know they want money. My point is that it's a shame they do this kind of thing with either gender. People are shallow. Besides, Sasami and Washu looked just fine/decent in the original. Now they just look like run of the mill sexy anime females. It's sad.
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
antvasima wrote:
I think that the problem with OVA 3 was simply that there had been 8 years since the end of the last series, which gave Mister Kajishima too little space in just 7 episodes to cram in all of the ideas that he had come up with since then. Confused

Writers ought to start with short stories because everyone wants to write an epic. (See this ALL THE TIME in fanfiction, when people want me to edit the first chapter of their planned Beowulf saga...... 99% of those get abandoned).

That way they can learn to cut out the irrelevant and leave the meat.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote
Thought the princesses had some dignity. Laughing
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:

You continue to miss my point. I know they want money. My point is that it's a shame they do this kind of thing with either gender. People are shallow. Besides, Sasami and Washu looked just fine/decent in the original. Now they just look like run of the mill sexy anime females. It's sad.

In regards to the choice of a design change, it was needed to differentiate between the old OVA aesthetics and the upcoming release, in regards to that part you would be flat out wrong in that "they didn't need to change the designs" as the series is trying to create a sense of "change" and an efficient way to do that is with a wardrobe shift (and apparently a visit to the hair salon for most of the cast).

The latter part is "the characters are too sexualized" I can grant you that Sasami has too short of a skirt for her characters youthful demeanor, I will once again state that Washu's new attire now matches her occasional trolling behavior while not being TOO risqué, yes normal people would not be wearing what MOST of the characters are wearing, the original wardrobe aesthetic was that of "old timey Japan" except they are magi-tech yielding aliens with there battle transformations for most of the cast generally became a sexy version of there clothes anyway.
TuxedoSam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
This is much better and more promising than the original released sketches of new characters.

I wonder if Kiyone will be returning? Disappointing if she's not.

Now that it's confirmed the original cast is included, I am interested. The concept designs aren't too bad, and the art sketches are much cleaner and drawn better, which helps give an idea of what we can expect.

If the show doesn't revolve around the original main cast, that will be a downer.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
TuxedoSam wrote:
Tenchi's mom? Probably not, spoiler[she's dead].
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this Kiyone?

As for the character designs for the original characters, find them alright. Like Ryoko the best with some of the others looking a bit off but still overall okay.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
TuxedoSam wrote:
Tenchi's mom? Probably not, spoiler[she's dead].

I know she technically had that name before Kiyone Makibi, but nobody, anywhere, at any time, will ever think "Tenchi's mom" when you mention "Kiyone". Kajishima lost the right to call her that in the OVA when he waited for a decade to do so. He should have just called her Achika like Negishi did in the first movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TuxedoSam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
I just read a lot of the comments and would like to contribute some additional thoughts.

I'm a 25-year-old woman who is typically sensitive to the sexualization of children in anime, but I don't really feel Sasami was sexualized.

Her new attire is obviously based off of the Pretty Sammy franchise, where her skirt was just as short, or maybe even shorter. I don't equate short frilly skirts to sexualization, especially when it is common in actual society for young girls to wear such skirts. Thigh-high socks are also not exactly sexual, and they are common among all ages of girls in casual fashion in Japan. Of course, this is all a matter of perception. You say sexual, I say fashionable. /shrug

Also, I can't quite tell, but it looks as if Sasami is a bit older. Perhaps she is a teenager now. Regardless, even if she was still a child, I don't find anything wrong with her attire. I like it.

I do, however, wish Washu wasn't as sexualized. Not because I think she's a child or has a childlike body, but because of the lack of diversity.

She has a garter belt on and a stereotypical "hooker" dress (not that I have a problem with hooker dresses, per se). I would have preferred her to be the scientist in non-revealing academic attire, rather than sexy scientist (not that scientists can't be sexy!). The rest of the characters are already sexy or cute, why not someone NOT intentionally sexy or cute? Apparently twelve sexy/cute girls is simply just not enough.

Also, to address someone's comment about Touri Fueyama's "underwear." I assume they are the bloomers (AKA buruma) young girls used to wear pre-90s for gym attire. Despite these pitiful "gym uniforms" being banned twenty years ago due to the controversial sexualization and discomfort of young girls, they still make common appearances in anime and manga. I usually don't mind them, and even like them, in anime and manga, but I definitely don't like them on real young girls, for the exact reasons they were banned.

Side Note: Has anyone noticed Yuki Fuka is not wearing a shirt?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
TuxedoSam wrote:

I'm a 25-year-old woman who is typically sensitive to the sexualization of children in anime, but I don't really feel Sasami was sexualized.

Her new attire is obviously based off of the Pretty Sammy franchise, where her skirt was just as short, or maybe even shorter. I don't equate short frilly skirts to sexualization, especially when it is common in actual society for young girls to wear such skirts. Thigh-high socks are also not exactly sexual, and they are common among all ages of girls in casual fashion in Japan. Of course, this is all a matter of perception. You say sexual, I say fashionable. /shrug

Also, to address someone's comment about Touri Fueyama's "underwear." I assume they are the bloomers (AKA buruma) young girls used to wear pre-90s for gym attire. Despite these pitiful "gym uniforms" being banned twenty years ago due to the controversial sexualization and discomfort of young girls, they still make common appearances in anime and manga. I usually don't mind them, and even like them, in anime and manga, but I definitely don't like them on real young girls, for the exact reasons they were banned.

Depends - would you or your daughter mind wearing:
why would bloomers be a problem for real young girls when skirts that short are real common for them? Question

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2011/02/17/reference/bloomers/

• For all their ease of movement, the pittari burumā had serious drawbacks. My friend Yoshiko recalls that they didn’t always cover underwear, leading to a dreaded condition known colloquially as “hamipan” (a contraction of the words “hamidasu” [to stick out] and “pantsu” [underpants]). And many students felt self-conscious in such revealing bottoms, particularly when they were dealing with the body changes brought on by adolescence.

Such complaints were borne largely in silence until the early 1990s. Most sources trace the anti-burumā movement to the Japanese school in Singapore, where in 1993 students opposed an effort by the school to make tight-fitting bloomers compulsory. Female students complained that the revealing bottoms attracted unwelcome attention when they jogged off school grounds. The school countered that the protesting students were a wagamama (selfish) minority, and the resulting flap made the newspapers back in Japan.

That coverage seems to have raised the consciousness of women all over Japan, and unleashed a groundswell of anger. Letters to the editor poured into the paper, some charging that forcing schoolgirls to wear burumā constituted sexual harassment. Mothers who had themselves worn burumā agitated to spare their daughters the experience.

The next five to 10 years saw a rapid decrease in burumā use, with some schools responding faster than others. In Saitama Prefecture, Koshigaya Minami Senior High School eliminated burumā right away in 1993, while the elementary school my two sons attended in Tokyo didn’t phase them out until 2002. I had forgotten all this until I got your question, but I do remember thinking burumā were cute on the little kids but totally inappropriate for girls entering puberty.

For other stories about girls in Japanese high school during those bloomers days, this reminded me of an old legendary series of essays posted on usenet way back in 1991, after she returned back to America about an American girl attending Japanese high school the years prior (it was hard enough then to peek what really goes on Japanese HS, even rarer to get a glimpse from a foreigner attending one):

http://www.mangatutorials.com/tut/jschool1.php

• Life in a Japanese School
    By Maiko Covington

Introduction

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1991 01:17:15 GMT

Hello, everybody. I have decided to write a little bit about what life in Japanese school (well, junior and senior high school) is like, from the inside. For people reading on rec.arts.anime, I realize that this subject really has nothing to do with anime, but since many of the anime have high school kids as characters and show scenes of school life, I thought you might like to see it. Please be warned that I have no training in sociology or anything like that - I am just writing about my own experience.
    P.E. Class

This is probably of interest to the anime fans, as it is a scene shown often enough in high school anime. Basically, there are changing rooms, and you have to wear a uniform for P.E. There are 2: For girls, you wear some sort of white shirt with your name sewn on, and then (eww.. I hate these) these little pants called "bloomers". What they are are thick polyester/cotton briefs that might as well be underwear for their size. They are in a contrasting color (mine were dark blue). Then, you wear your school socks and school-bought gym shoes. The boys dress pretty much the same except they get to wear regular shorts. Both boys and girls wear warm up suits when it gets cold, again with your name on it.

One thing peculiar to Japan I think is the hatimaki. This is a ribbon/headband that you tie around your head (like those ones you see in hoky ninja movies that say "Banzai" on 'em). These are plain, though. One side is red and the other is white. This is so when you split up into teams, the two teams can tie their hatimaki opposite so you can tell them apart.

Two other things I forgot to mention that have some bearing here:
    (1) In Japan you don't get to decide whether to wear the summer uniform or winter one just by if you are cold or not. Oh, no. There is a day called "koromo-gae" (changing of the clothes) where everyone in Japan changes from winter to summer uniform or vice versa. The days are in October and June, and on that day EVERYONE (oops) changes uniform on the same day. If you just changed to winter uniform and then it gets really hot in late October for some reason, too bad. We used to not like changing to summer uniform in P.E. 'cause it meant you had to wear those bloomers. No matter how thin you are, those bloomers will make you look like you have thunder thighs.................

And it goes on from there. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5