• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 499

Why is Naruto still being sent on missions while Hinata (and apparently the rest of the teams, as the review pointed out) aren't?

Yeah, the solution seemed pretty obvious from the moment the "problem" was raised. Can't say I've really enjoyed much of these last few episodes. Hopefully, the wedding will take them out with a bang (but with this series it wouldn't surprise me if they saved the wedding for a movie or something and instead had everyone sitting around at the reception reminiscing about Obito).
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
When episode 500 airs next week I know I'm going to be a mess. I'll be happy cause my babies are getting married but at the same time Shippuden is ending after a decade. It'll be bittersweet.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, after the past year, year and a half, I kinda just want to see the end of it. The at times awful and/or pointless filler has made it feel like it overstayed its welcome for me. While there have been some great episodes too, I don't know that it has been enough to make me miss it. I hope that the ending will feel bittersweet but I'm not sure I won't just breathe a sigh of relief.

All that being said, I'm going to check out Boruto and in all likelihood watch that
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
Why does getting married mean Hinata can't go on missions anymore with her old team, when it doesn't mean Naruto can't? Sexist.

I feel like I've watched all of these kids grow up. I'll probably be a mess watching the wedding.
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
No actual wedding for us! Boo!

Of course Iruka was a father figure to Naruto, and vitally important. Jiriya was too, but of course he's dead. Kakashi was not. It's the emotional connection and support that made Iruka that to a boy who was alone and shunned. Iruka fed and believed in Naruto during the most important early years, like, you know, when a father most supports his children. I honestly don't see how anyone could think otherwise. And I choked up when they acknowledged that.

I've been watching this from the first season. It's going to be weird not to have it around. But I'll be watching Boruto.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
B- is a bit harsh for the finale. It did a lot of things right and was a better ending compared to the manga's sudden end.
Quote:
Iruka is an odd choice to be getting so much attention in the final arc; the storyline has made him out to be a more important presence in Naruto's life than he actually was. He was the first adult to show young, ostracized Naruto compassion and support, but he was never the supportive father figure this episode makes him out to be.

Yes just like you said, he was the first that one that acknowledged Naruto so it's a fitting end for him to get some attention. I also think you might be forgetting some details because it was Iruka who refused Naruto to graduate in his academy days so he could work harder. It wouldn't have made sense for him to fail Naruto on purpose if he never wanted to support him or heck even comfort Naruto when Jiraiya died.
Quote:
In fact, the whole premise only somewhat works at all within the anime continuity, as Naruto and Iruka saw even less of one another in the source material.

If it works in the anime then why is this an issue? The anime is trying to improve on the source material so this should be a good thing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:31 am Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
It's the emotional connection and support that made Iruka that to a boy who was alone and shunned. Iruka fed and believed in Naruto during the most important early years, like, you know, when a father most supports his children.

Yeah, Kakashi is the only other father-figure type to Naruto that's still alive, but while he may have mentored Naruto in ninja arts, he kept him at arm's length emotionally for the most part. Iruka always wore his heart on his sleeve, and was the one responsible for Naruto gradually changing his ways and learning to stop acting out so much. Without that foundation, Kakashi wouldn't have had much to work with by the time it was his turn. Heh, even all other things being equal, if I had to choose between Kakashi and Iruka to stand in for my father, I'd pick Iruka without hesitation. Hard to warm up to a guy who always hides his face.

I knew we wouldn't get a wedding. Betcha they'll do an OVA or filler special sooner or later. So did Konohamaru get some ghost footage of Neji? Very Happy
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:31 am Reply with quote
I am a strong NaruSaku shipper and will continue to stay that way. Kishi sad in interviews that NaruHina was planned from the start. I am not really buying this. If actions speak louder than words, I would believe that statement more if he did more to develop their relationship in the manga.
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:33 am Reply with quote
I salty that this didn't end with us seeing naruto as hokage like in the manga but aside from that it was a decent episode.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
I salty that this didn't end with us seeing naruto as hokage like in the manga but aside from that it was a decent episode.

To me, a decent episode is omitting the NaruHina wedding altogether.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
Happy ending for Naruto, sad ending for Sakura who marries a monster.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I am a strong NaruSaku shipper and will continue to stay that way. Kishi sad in interviews that NaruHina was planned from the start. I am not really buying this. If actions speak louder than words, I would believe that statement more if he did more to develop their relationship in the manga.

So you're gonna ignore a confirmation from the creator in favor of you handcanon? Smooth. Real smooth. Confused
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
I think this was a way better episode than the rating it got from ANN. I mean, sure it didn't end with us seeing Naruto become hokage but it wasn't supposed to focus on him at all. It was to show the bond that Naruto has created over the years, especially with his wife (Hinata) and all of his friends. He started from being the lonely orphan all those years ago to now starting his own family. I'm so happy that this series concluded well and I'm not going to lie, it teared me up a bit because I grew up with Naruto. I'm glad that this era came to a close, it was a bumpy ride but in the end it was still fun. I'll keep an eye out to see what Boruto brings to the table, but for now I say farewell to them.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
While Kakashi, Jiraiya and Yamato are all "mentors", Iruka is the only "surrogate father" of Naruto's teachers. They all dispense advice in that "I'm older and wiser" kind of way, but Iruka is the one Naruto turns to for PERSONAL advice and situations. Iruka is also the one who always helps him celebrate accomplishments and deal with "life".

While I don't think its this "cut&dried", I think the other teachers all see Naruto as a kid who has a future as the greatest ninja in the village. They see all his potential and want to help him meet it. Iruka is the only one that sees a "scared, lonely kid" and wants to help him grow into a happy, well-adjusted adult, whether he actually becomes hokage or not. (altho it isn't explored, I think Kakashi & Jiraiya especially see him as the son of their own teacher and student respectively)
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I personally consider Yamato and Kakshi as teachers, that is their role. Jitaya is a grandfather/master of sorts, not a father figure. Iruka, on the other hand, does display the most characteristics of a parent figure. Always nagging and worrying about Naruto. It's not about being a main character, it's about having confidence and love towards someone when they're nobody - helping and standing up for a child before he achieved anything, and without any ulterior motive.

Anyways, it's over, it's the end of an era, and now begins the next decade of anime and this culture as a whole. The leftovers of the 2000s finally end here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 43 of 44