• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
Plus we already saw Kurama was awake in The Last.

You say that like this has all been presented in a seamless, chronological way. oO

When I finally broke down and watched The Last because the Obito filler seemed destined to go on for another year, I didn't know Kurama ever went to sleep, so his presence didn't register as significant (and I honestly don't remember all that much about the movie by now anyway, since so much of it didn't make sense without seeing the ending of Shippuden yet). Now that I have seen the part where he goes to sleep, there's no continuity to explain what you just said about becoming whole again, or leading into the movie even now. We just suddenly leapfrogged past the movie and into "sometime later."

Making people jump around across several media, out of sequence to boot, is not exactly the ideal way to tell a coherent story. But thank you for the explanation the anime didn't bother to provide.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
This episode was absolute incredible in my book. I don't know why but I've always been a huge fan of time skips, and since I love "The Last" I I especially like that this arc is taking place in that time line. Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but I thought the art was damn good. Not spectacular like you'd see in One Punch Man, but for Naruto's standards (flashback to the fight with Pain Rolling Eyes) it was above average like the article says. And even though I'm not particularly fond of Sasuke, I'm interested in seeing his quest for redemption, especially since I've never read the novels.

Marimo0 wrote:
I've heard that the LN this arc is adapting from takes place after Naruto and Hinata's wedding, so it would therefore be after The Last and not before. The biggest hint for this would be when Hinata stumbles and almost falls after subduing some of the zombie people, as it implies she's not at her peak since she would currently be in her early stages of pregnancy with Boruto, along with her in general seeming to interact with and care about Naruto more openly. Though that kind of feels a bit too far ahead for me to still be using everyone's The Last designs since everyone else like Ino and Sakura don't seem like they are or will soon be having their own children. And Sasuke seems to be the exception to using The Last's designs, and he in fact even looks younger than how he looked in The Last.

You're half right. From what I can tell the Sasuke Shinden LN, which this episode and the following episodes are adapting, takes place a little bit before "The Last". And since they're wearing the exact same outfits as in The Last, as well as how Kakashi is the Hokage, I'd say they're really close together.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 485

That wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. From the moment they walked into the Coliseum it was obvious what Orochimaru's plan was to lure out "the Merchant of Death" (that must be like in the top ten most popular baby names among villains).

Chino's lecture to Sasuke kind of lacked moral weight since she wasn't doing anything to stop it either (yeah, I know the point was to hint at her tragic backstory, but still). But why stop it? Who were the "victims" here? It wasn't a battle to the death, and they didn't seem to be slaves with no choice, so it was no more decadent than the Chunin exams, and those combatants are children! Trying to paint this as evil just doesn't work in Naruto's universe and Weiß Kreuz did it better anyway (at least they knew how cheesy they were being).

I did get a chuckle out of Orochimaru's reaction to her age. The timing was impeccable.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 486

Yes, that was much better than last week's episode. I've been enjoying watching Orochimaru quietly observing everything.

I didn't get that En Oyashiro kidnapped anybody, at least not directly. If their villages sold them, he was happy to buy (or win in the fights), but it didn't seem like he picked anyone out and said, "I'm taking that one, whether his village is selling or not." Outside that, the whole arrangement seems more like how athletes' contracts are traded around, with the kids he acquires like his farm team. Well, except for the part about slaughtering any others who share the kekkei genkai he's interested in...

His comment about medical jutsu gave me pause, but mostly he seems a more benign "villain" than say, Orochimaru, again except for the slaughtering. At least he's not as batshit crazy as Koko Hekmatyar, who was the protagonist of her series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 487

I think the red water was just due to extremophile bacteria and algae coloring the water red. Probably some iron compounds as well. Colors of hot springs in Yellowstone range from deep blue to vivid red and everything in between, depending on dissolved minerals and the lifeforms that dwell in them. See Yellowstone's Grand Prismatic Springs. So no, not lava. Lava isn't transparent. Smile

Looks like I was wrong about the kidnapping, although given the circumstances it could almost be viewed as a rescue. Still, I was oddly unmoved by her backstory. Not sure why. I think I just don't like the character much, haven't from the start.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 488
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Looks like I was wrong about the kidnapping, although given the circumstances it could almost be viewed as a rescue.

And so it was...sort of. I guess. I do agree Daddy needs more explanation.

Quote:
Kakashi remands them to the custody of the Mizukage, who wishes to end the cycle of hatred between her country and the Chinoike.

Seems like the cycle of hatred is about over when there's only one left standing on one of the sides.

Anyway, it was nice to see St. Sasuke traveling the world, spreading the Gospel of Naruto and baptizing converts.

Am I the only one still watching this? oO
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else noticed Shikamaru's hair??? Shocked
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

No, I'm still watching too. I've been watching this long so I might as well stick it out to the bitter end. I had been meaning to post something so it is not just you but I keep forgetting Embarassed

Overall, this has been one of the better filler arcs in a while, and it has increased my (very very meager) faith in the writers to learn that it was mostly them and not the novel writer responsible for this. The animation in the fight scenes, especially the blood dragons, was well done. They have some good people working on that end. If only the writing part could be so good.

Hopefully this next arc can be at least as good as this one was.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:42 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Did anyone else noticed Shikamaru's hair??? Shocked

What was I supposed to notice?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:53 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I don't watch the show anymore - I still think the world could be really cool, but the animation's writing/animation folks have long since lost my good interest or good will. But I still check on the thread whenever it's bumped, in case I miss something cool, especially about one of my favorite characters.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 489

Shikamaru has always been one of my favorites, so I'm looking forward to this. It's off to a decent start.

I don't recall the anime ever explicitly saying why he should be so devoted to Naruto (no one else seems to need a reason either), but it seems to me that he might feel like he owes him after the damage he took fighting Kakuzu, which gave Shikamaru the opportunity to take personal revenge on Hidan for killing Asuma. Plus all the saving-the-world stuff he did a couple of times after that... Smile
fuff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
"With Itachi's story behind us, the anime moves into adapting Shikamaru's story, with much more faithful results."

dont u mean sasuke's??? fail ann...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 490

Yeah, the outcome was pretty obvious long before it hit. But how convenient that they just leave the "bodies" lying dead in front of the gates. Good thing they don't cremate their enemies, huh.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 490

Yeah, the outcome was pretty obvious long before it hit. But how convenient that they just leave the "bodies" lying dead in front of the gates. Good thing they don't cremate their enemies, huh.

Or behead them or something to double check they're dead
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
^ I learn a lot about being a villain from shows like this.

I'm still watching but I don't have much to say about it. I am wondering where the Naruto anime is supposed to be going. Are they animating a bunch of light novels then ending? How many of those are there? Are they going to do anything with the sequel? Does anyone know what their plans are?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 41 of 44