• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Tokyo ESP

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
i created an account because i was horrified by the cliche episode this was and needed to vent! I love series with strong heroines but i cant believe they would do such an awful job of portraying the "rock bottom" of the protagonist! I was really enjoying this series up until i watched this episode which i didn't even really watch after they started beating up the protagonist ! I knew exactly what was going to happen and just stopped paying attention. I'm not trying to be a troll or a hater but seriously... weak sauce ...
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Crap episode permeated by pointless flashbacks and I've seen better fight scenes from my high school drama class
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
You know the funny thing is that I surprisingly enjoy the show despite all of it's shortcomings as mentioned in the article and the various responses above mine. Now I can see all of your valid points on the show but for me I just turn my brain off for shows like these and just be a spectator and enjoy it. Not to mention the opening from Faylan it's surprisingly catchyband often in my brain more than it should lol. But seriously compared to the manga and the obvious change in tone I'd want to consider this as a separate entity from it's manga counterpart and enjoy it for what it is and all of it's x-men related themes and powers and such.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
I always have a hard time with stories where the good guys are pursued by the authorites just because. I get it that governments and the people that drive them are racist by nature and so perfectly capable of enacting something like a class oppression act. Sort of like what the US did to American Japanese in WW II.

Still it is frustrating and not very entertaining having seen it so many times.

As I wrote in the anime forum, I don't see what Rinka and friends have that could possibly challenge the professor and his insane but effective crew. Something is going to have to turn up to help that we haven't seen, and it is annoying that we haven't seen it yet.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about that, too, because they don't have much time left to develop something, the bad guys can already pretty much neutralize everything that the good guys can do, and the bad guys already outnumber the good guys by a lot.

My only suspicion is that (and mind you, this is based on pure speculation, not anything from actual spoilers) spoiler[Rinka's efforts as White Girl are going to rally other ESPers to fight off The Professor's forces]. Short of an ass-pull, it's really the only thing that makes sense at this point.

But we'll see over the rest of the month, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
And now it seems that Rinka is more formidable now without her ESP powers than she ever was with them. She makes short work of all the bad girls that had no trouble wadding her up like a dixie cup before.

No explanation. Amazing what a little time in prison will do for you I guess.

So the cliffhanger is now she is up against Nanami. I don't see how she has a chance unless a) someone else steps in or b) she gets her fish back mid-fight.

And I still can't connect any of the artwork in the ending credits to anything in the story. Why is Nanami naked (not that I am complaining really) and who is that she is embracing? I hope it presages her redemption in this story.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I certainly can't disagree with your point Theron about the execution being stiff here. They seem to have sucked most of the fluidity out of the animation, which must be a cost-cutting measure. It does mean a lot of the scenes have significantly less impact than they otherwise might.

That being said, I do think the narrative here was excellent despite the lackluster animation effort. Rinka's story has been one of the best hero stories I have seen recently in animation. What is perhaps most compelling about her story is that it bucks so many trends - she gets powers, but her powers aren't of the "chosen one" variety which so many MCs in these stories get. Her powers seem weak in comparison to most enemies, and she routinely gets the hell beaten out of her.

The thing is though, she keeps getting back up and fighting. Even after she went to the depths of hell and ended up in a Nazi style concentration prison, she was able to lift her spirits back up again. She doesn't have her powers anymore, and she's still fighting. It's a great story about the resilience of the human spirit. I also love how the show puts an exclamation point on the whole idea of Rinka as this "normal" superhero, by the fact that she just makes up her own special attack (the skull-crushing-psy-kick?) and somehow it is effective. I always find it both humorous and satisfying whenever she uses that attack.

I don't think this show is going to be as good as I was initially thinking it would be, due to the problems with it's animation quality, but this has been quite a fantastic story in my opinion, and I'm eager to see where they go in the finale.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
This is all the more frustrating because the production staff showed with episode 1 that they are definitely capable of doing better.

Wait a minute, now hold on . . . so that first episode was one of the better ones??? Wow. I am so glad I dropped this show straight away.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering where that special armor all the bad guys were wearing came from. It looks like it amplifies their powers but they really need to explain both that and the giant punch thing Kobushi used in episode 1. I know these are minor gripes but adding things like that without even addressing them really bugs me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Seconded on the punch thing in particular, Videogamep. I was fully expecting some kind of explanation on that and was surprised and disappointed when there wasn't. (Perhaps it was just an over-dramatized regular punch, especially given spoiler[the over-dramatized baseball throw] in this episode?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Seconded on the punch thing in particular, Videogamep. I was fully expecting some kind of explanation on that and was surprised and disappointed when there wasn't. (Perhaps it was just an over-dramatized regular punch, especially given spoiler[the over-dramatized baseball throw] in this episode?)

Yea, I think it might just be her version of Rinka's skull-crushing-psy-kick. I don't think it was supposed to be considered as a real special power move, but just a stylistic signature thing. Don't forget, she's supposed to be some kind of brawler, so her style is "overwhelming force" or whatever she called it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Why is Nanami naked (not that I am complaining really) and who is that she is embracing? I hope it presages her redemption in this story.

Kinda looks like her mom
glowingdawn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
And now it seems that Rinka is more formidable now without her ESP powers than she ever was with them. She makes short work of all the bad girls that had no trouble wadding her up like a dixie cup before.

No explanation. Amazing what a little time in prison will do for you I guess.

I believe this is supposed to show the power of her conviction and will as a human rather than her relying on her powers as an esper, and to show how little of a difference there really is between humans and espers at a time when the city started to forget. [spoiler]When Rinka was being released from the detention center, a lot of the espers didn't want to fight back against the bad guys, and Rinka was the only one who would put her life on the line despite her not having ESP anymore.

HaruhiToy wrote:
So the cliffhanger is now she is up against Nanami. I don't see how she has a chance unless a) someone else steps in or b) she gets her fish back mid-fight.

Related to what I just said, I believe that this fight will be meant to show the power of humans will over the power of ESP and to show that she is willing to put her life on the line in the face of overwhelming odds.

HaruhiToy wrote:
And I still can't connect any of the artwork in the ending credits to anything in the story. Why is Nanami naked (not that I am complaining really) and who is that she is embracing? I hope it presages her redemption in this story.c

Don't mean to be rude, but have you watched any other modern anime lately? Why are any of the opening/ending credits like that and why are the songs so terrible? I don't know, I usually skip them anyways.

Anybody notice the Grand Theft Auto V advertisement?
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
There better be a second season. Read the manga endings like that are insanely annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I find it hard to believe a girl with a katana and the power to teleport freely would lose to one with no powers at all without a heavy coating of plot armor. The final encounter with the Prof was disappointing as well considering how the mighty plot convenience pelican nerfed him before he could do anything interesting with his illusions. I'm also not sure why the writers had two stangers pop up and off the Prof, it's just an odd decision. Even if it was that way in the manga it ought to have been changed here]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3