• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Terror in Resonance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
It seems kind of strange for people to complain about Five being a "boring shonen villain" or whatever when we haven't even seen that much of her yet. I'm pretty sure most of her story is still to come, so how can you know?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mnordhoff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
It's also strange when every other character is equally cookie cutter. Wink Stoic Jerk in Glasses, Goofy Light-Haired Psycho, Ordinary Schoolgirl, Scruffy Detective, Evil Blond American Agent... Fortunately the creative team is good and the characters have more going on inside than their appearances would suggest.

I'm not one of the people complaining, but I found Five jarring. The show felt so grounded in reality and has a mostly live action style, but then she comes along with the most anime-y appearance and seeming like she could start laughing maniacally, murdering people and petting a fluffy cat at any moment.

I can roll with it, and my discomfort is as much because I misestimated the show, but she is taking me a few episodes to get used to. I look forward to seeing more of her story.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I may be a bit out of the loop but has there been a new episode this week? I don't seem to see any...
mnordhoff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
All i'm saying live action is better because people will understand the message better than otaku and it can reach more people. If his goal is to make otaku understand his message, then that's another story.

You keep assuming that moral messages will not be effective if delivered by animation. The animation industry in Japan is probably the largest in the world. I can't think of another country or region that delivers such a constant stream of animated shows. Watching an anime in Japan is not too different from watching a show on network TV in the USA.

Well, kinda. Japan produces a lot of TV animation, but most of those go late late night targeted at the same several thousands BD buyers. So it's like watching those insomnia shows on network TV in the US.
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
mnordhoff wrote:
I'm not one of the people complaining, but I found Five jarring. The show felt so grounded in reality and has a mostly live action style, but then she comes along with the most anime-y appearance and seeming like she could start laughing maniacally, murdering people and petting a fluffy cat at any moment.

I can roll with it, and my discomfort is as much because I misestimated the show, but she is taking me a few episodes to get used to. I look forward to seeing more of her story.

You sum up my feelings about Five pretty well. She feels so inhuman (/unrealistic) compared to the rest of the cast.

I personally think ep 5 was the best episode, not this one. Depends on what you appreciate I guess.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
A really fantastic write-up for episode 8. I love when a writer can get really excited in passionate about a series, and Gabriella's entire review was just a pleasure to read.

I'm not sure if I think this is the *best* episode so far, but it's definitely the most striking for me. The moment when Shibazaki muses about how 9 and 12 might have been perceived in the past was fantastic, and the line about kids throwing rocks at riot police hit home hard considering all that's been going on recently.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I just can't find myself to really like this series. Lisa does not develop as a character. She is a plot device. It really drags down the show, in addition to Five's weird, unnecessary presence.

lossthief wrote:
The moment when Shibazaki muses about how 9 and 12 might have been perceived in the past was fantastic, and the line about kids throwing rocks at riot police hit home hard considering all that's been going on recently.

See, I actually disliked this direction. Not because it doesn't have a string of truth to it; movements in decades past would likely have been labeled as terrorists if they were occurring today. Present movements are brushed with negative colors. (Ever hear of the United State's AETA act? Perfect example of labeling people terrorists, despite their actions being nonviolent. Sometimes illegal, but not terrorist-level.) Anyone can guess that, twenty years from now, we'll be looking at many of these people as heroes and these movements as pivotal.

Thing is, the public has absolutely no reason for liking Nina and Twelve. People throwing rocks at police? Usually has to do with unrest related to specific problems or pressure. What is Sphinx's goal? No one knows. They make childish, cartoony videos threatening to blow things up. And they do and people have been injured. Any of these adoring public members of the public could have been on that train. Sphinx don't speak of any just cause. They speak in riddles. The whole line comes off as the writer wanting to say something deep without having the right circumstance for it. I doubt we've heard the last of it.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I agree with RestLessone. It's fine to say the writer is heading in a specific direction with regards to the motives, but at this point justification seems like it will be trite or tacked on. They're running out of time, meaning there will be no time for a rebuttal in story. No one to counteract 9 and 12 goals aside from an apparently psychotic lady just looking to cause chaos.

The idea that nine and twelve haven't killed anyone also seems very contrived. Between the timing and circumstance of their bombings, that the cops caught on to stop any of the bombings or that no one died is more a miracle than a plan. It appears to be more a post-writing script change just to make the M.C more sympathetic.

It's not a bad series by any stretch, but for me it's left a lot on the table so far. Can only wait to see where it goes.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
The writers are trying too hard to make 9 and 12 sympathetic characters. I don't know how they manage to bomb populated areas and not kill anyone, but it doesn't pass the suspension of disbelief test.

Terror in Resonance is very much trying to have cake and eat it. I think the plot would have been much more enjoyable if Shibazaki was going against 9 and 12. 5 took the plot too far.
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
episode 9 out of 11 will be airing on 9/11

wow
kj_4247

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:09 am Reply with quote
is it just me or is the seen at the end between 9 and 12 the exact same scene between spike and jet from Ballad of Fallen Angels i swear to god if this series ends with 12 falling out a window with choir music in the back ground....
jeffinitelyjeff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
Thing is, the public has absolutely no reason for liking Nina and Twelve. People throwing rocks at police? Usually has to do with unrest related to specific problems or pressure. What is Sphinx's goal? No one knows. They make childish, cartoony videos threatening to blow things up. And they do and people have been injured. Any of these adoring public members of the public could have been on that train. Sphinx don't speak of any just cause. They speak in riddles. The whole line comes off as the writer wanting to say something deep without having the right circumstance for it. I doubt we've heard the last of it.

I understand how this is frustrating, and how it makes you think the parallel fall down a bit. But I think it's actually quite believable that people would sympathize with people who don't have a stated goal—it means everyone can infer whatever goal they want out of it to support what they already believe. Though if this were what they intended, it'd be cool to see shots of news summaries or internet exchanges where people discussed their goals.
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if this has been noted already, but whoever wrote this article should definitely know the name is 残響のテロル and not 共鳴にテロる. The word 共鳴 is resonance caused by the sound coming from different places and amplifying, but this isn't the word that they chose here. They used 残響- "leftover echo", this is a different sort of resonance to my understanding and I think the correct way to understand the title is "Terror of the (caused by) echothat was left (from what happened)", IE it refers to Twelve and Nine causing Terror due to the experiences they went through (it was sileneced but is still resonating through their terror).

I hope my Engliah was good enough to make this point Gabriella. You should try asking Japanese natives, it will be interesting.
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if this has been noted already, but whoever wrote this article should definitely know the name is 残響のテロル and not 共鳴にテロる. The word 共鳴 is resonance caused by the sound coming from different places and amplifying, but this isn't the word that they chose here. They used 残響- "leftover echo", this is a different sort of resonance to my understanding and I think the correct way to understand the title is "Terror of the (caused by) echothat was left (from what happened)", IE it refers to Twelve and Nine causing Terror due to the experiences they went through (it was sileneced but is still resonating through their terror).

I hope my Engliah was good enough to make this point Gabriella. You should try asking Japanese natives, it will be interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7