• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Terror in Resonance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
Redcrimson:
Quote:
That... is just not how fiction works. Seriously, give me one actual example of that ever being true.

Paranoia Agent is also a crime thriller set in an ostensibly "realistic" universe. Is it "wrong" because it also happens center around a seemingly supernatural kid on roller-skates bashing people in the head with a golden baseball bat? The terrorism in ZanTero being ostensibly "realistic" is irrelevant to the idea that it's also largely just an abstract device in the narrative.

Don’t compare Paranoia Agent to Terror in Resonance to prove your point because flaws could be found. Paranoia Agent from the get-go has a surrealistic atmosphere to it. T in R has a linear storytelling, with actual, identifiable characters and plot, it is not so abstract. Look at the mood both series are trying to establish. I doubt T in R is being symbolic. It’s probably trying to impart an important theme, but the characters and their actions are concrete. Or maybe you perceived something that some of us couldn't. In any case, I would criticize the execution then, if their intention has escaped me. Even a person as dumb as me should have a visceral feeling that something is over my head.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
This series does not fail. It is judged too harshly by people who want things to be done and shown in a certain way, but bashes it if it doesn't live up to their biased expectations.

Maybe it is not the series that does not meet expectations, but it is the expectations themselves that were set too high from the get-go. I don't know how to argue my point, but that's just what I feel.

I feel people should give this show a break, and accept the way how things turned out, because right now, thinking of how the series could have been done better isn't making me feel better or really adding any more meaning or productivity to my daily life.

Well the show had some of the biggest name in anime industry attached to it and had a really big budget. It was tackling a big issue with lots of interesting idea attached to it and lots of room to introduce idea. So if there's a show that deserve to have high expectation it's this one, unless your saying that anime cannot amount to anymore than just dumb entertainment, which I strongly disagree.

No I don't think that anime should only be about entertainment and I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong idea.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I became frustrated with this show's refusal to reveal much of anything about Nine and Twelve's grievance, I never liked either of them, and when I got the feeling that they were going to wind up as the heroes, I quit watching.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They run around, laughing, and spraying water on each other, ignoring the fact that they just detonated a nuclear bomb in the skies above Tokyo. I get what they were doing with that scene - showing children who were denied a childhood enjoy pastoral serenity for the first and last time - but it could have come at a better moment.

Yeah... no. It couldn't have. It was the perfect moment. It was clear from the start this show would end with them spoiler[getting buried alive] and someone else having to take over and implement the lessons (hopefully learned, although painfully). (What else was the Oedipus/Antigone mythology there for, after all?) I couldn't agree less with the review or the majority's reaction here. What a beautifully executed episode of a very good series that sometimes struggled a bit on the way, but provided me with images that will not leave me for quite a while. The only real nuisance and disappointment was Five, being utterly annoying from the very first moment she appeared on screen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7