• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press' Light Novel Imprint Adds Log Horizon, No Game No Life, Devil is a Part-timer!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terminus24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Quite excited for Devil is a Part-Timer!, really liked the anime so I'm glad we'll get the original version.

Anyways, glad to see that Yen On seems to be doing well, I'm finding that since I started reading LNs a year ago that I generally like them a lot more than their adaptations, so I'm glad they keep on announcing new LNs of series I've enjoyed.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy that light novels have been doing so well.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Hm. Might end up canceling my order for Seven Seas' manga.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I am so Happy That Log Horizon and No Game No Life are going to have official English translations, Both of there respective anime adaptations have been truly the best of new releases in the past year and Log Horizon was the first Light novel i actually read. Log Horizon i will definitely buy as for NGNL if there is no Second season announced soon than i will definitely buy the LN to catch up on the story.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Gonna check out No Game and Maou Sama. Never bought any light novels before (then again, it's not like there are many released here), so it's nice to finally see something I'm interested in getting a us release.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Really excited that Maou was picked up but the problem with Light Novels is they take forever to translate and will take years to catch up with the releases in Japan. And since my Japanese isn't good enough for novels I'm kind of stuck with the online translations if available.

I'd gladly pay more if official English light novels could be done quicker but I hate the long wait.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
wait wut

I was about to buy the first volume of the novel of NGNL, thanks god I haven't yet or I would be pretty upset honestly

well, I guess I'm buying every series that was announced then

man, 2015 is already such an expensive year... not really complaining though, the more LN the better
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
My main problem is the same problem facing manga. How many people are left there looking like idiots with 5,7,10 volumes of a manga that will never be complete. Its not a rare occurence, and some pretty popular series have had this fate.

Then combine it with the fact like some said this a relatively new industry in the West, some LN series are well past 20 volumes, some are ongoing, and the extremely slow rate of 2 volumes a year maybe 3, what are the odds realistically that Index for example actually get translated in its entirety.

I know its their work and they have the right to do what they want, but I would flip the argument, and force any publisher that cancels a series to buyback any previous volumes of a work. Simple as that. You start collecting manga under the assumption you will have the whole work. You can't have it both ways, you want people to buy the product, but then you only release as much of it as you want.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
My main problem is the same problem facing manga. How many people are left there looking like idiots with 5,7,10 volumes of a manga that will never be complete. Its not a rare occurence, and some pretty popular series have had this fate.

...You start collecting manga under the assumption you will have the whole work. You can't have it both ways, you want people to buy the product, but then you only release as much of it as you want.

Leaving something serialized. like manga and light novels, incomplete is always a possibility (especially for longer works). But the consumer has to be aware of the risks of buying serialized works. Why get upset with the publishers. If something they publish is not generating money, the smart thing for them is to stop releasing that particular work.

Besides, no one is forcing you to buy manga and light novels. And chill out, CrownKlown. Your posts seem so angry all the time.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Log Horizon, No Game No Life, AND Devil is a Part-Timer!? Thank you, Yen Press, thank you so much!
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear, I'll be picking up Devil is a Part-timer and maybe Log Horizon.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Well Yen Press really are going all out with these LN releases, while I'm not sure how fast I'd pick up Log Horizon due to me liking the anime just fine I am more interested in the devils a part timer since it means I may finally be able to read some of its material beyond the anime.

Wow I thought the only LNs I'd be considered about getting were Haruhi and Index (and possibly Kino's Journey but from what I gather that's basically season 1 which I already own...) but this is a pleasant surprise!
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Log Horizon was one of my favourite anime so I am very excited for the light novels to be licensed. Never bought LNs before so looking forward to them very much. Will Yen On be releasing volumes every 4 months? We should be caught up in 3 to 4 years depending on how many volumes are released in Japan. Not too bad...

I believe Yen's model is every 3 or 4 months, but considering it's been 8 months since the release of volume 7 in Japan, we should have through volume 8 released in the US before Japan gets volume 9.

Dfens wrote:
I'd gladly pay more if official English light novels could be done quicker but I hate the long wait.

It's less that they can't be done faster, and more that it hurts the sales and industry as a whole if they're released closer together. It always gets asked at industry panels at Sakura-Con, and multiple companies have explained why closer releases hurt in the long run (I just can't remember the really good explanation at the moment).

I've been bouncing since the announcement last night (man, Yen was totally trolling me last week, too, when I again tweeted @ them about LH, after they had a "next week people will be very happy" vague tweet). But some additions to the article:

1) Yen Press also has the manga for Log Horizon and Devil is a Part-Timer, as per this tweet. Clarification on which (or if all) manga for Log Horizon has not come.

2) There are actually four manga series for Log Horizon, not just the two mentioned in the article. In addition to Honey Moon Logs and West Wind Brigade, there's also Nyanta-hancho Shiawase no Recipe (illustrated by Sōchū) and a direct adaptation, illustrated by Kazuhiro Hara, the same artist who does the illustrations in the light novels (this one went 11 chapters and 1 published volume, and is apparently currently on hiatus).
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
More LN to get but wait to long to get them it going to suck
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Great news! I'll definitely be picking up Log Horizon and The Devil is a Part-timer, since both shows are among my favorites. Thank you, Yen Press!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5