• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How have your tastes in anime changed over time?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to become more selective and mostly failing. I'd love to be able to restrict myself to watching only shows that I deem to be at least Good (using ANN's rating system) but I consistently find that I finish shows I ultimately rate merely as Decent or So-so and sometimes even lower.

Like Psycho101, I'm probably less patient with harem shows or shows where fan service is the main draw than I once was. I also tend to avoid Over Powered Protagonist shows (which seem to mostly pop up in the isekai genre) but there are exceptions. Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear, for example, is very much an OPP show but I still dig it.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I am actually surprised at how my tastes haven't really changed much over the past 18 years or so, even though I was 14 back them and now I am 32. I am less impressionable now (desensitized) but the stuff I found impressive back them I still think its great today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Like Psycho101, I'm probably less patient with harem shows or shows where fan service is the main draw than I once was. I also tend to avoid Over Powered Protagonist shows (which seem to mostly pop up in the isekai genre) but there are exceptions. Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear, for example, is very much an OPP show but I still dig it.

For me I think part of what allows me to tolerate an OPP show comes down to 2 other factors. Is the supporting cast good? Does the MC have any sort of depth beyond their powers?

If the supporting cast simply is on point I find that can negate the boring aspects of the overpowered MC. They can help to carry the show when the MC starts to make it monotonous. They give me something else to focus on besides the one sided fights. They can provide depth and levity to the show. If that is missing, and the MC is OP....I'm generally CO. Checked Out.

As for the MC having depth, that can also negate the monotony of their powers. Are they just a bland vanilla MC? Hi Kirito. Or do they have swagger and depth? Hello Spike. If they provide some other form of entertainment and value to the show, outside of their powers, it helps me stay invested. The MC can simply be a laugh riot, like say Onizuka in GTO. In some facet they need to break the mold and be entertaining.

As for harem shows....I just need more depth now. There's fortunately, and perhaps unfortunately, been enough GOOD T&A shows with real plots and actually good character depth that now the bland and cookie cutter harem shows don't cut it for me most of the time. Stuff like High School DxD and Sekirei raised the bar for me so to speak. No pun intended. I do still unabashedly like my T&A for a guilty pleasure and when I want to turn off my brain and not think. Women can have their shojou shows and reverse harems as well. More power to them. One weakness I do have with T&A shows is character designs. I'll often stick in and finish watching a bland harem if it has good character designs. I don't just mean on the nauthy bits either. There's a reason, for example, Queen's Blade is still so popular and why shows like it, and Ikki Tousen, continue to sell tons of merch. Especially figures. It's because they have some of the best art and detail work put into them.

I'm also a sucker for green or blue hair anime waifus. Sue me.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:19 pm Reply with quote
So I actually posted in the topic back in 2014, but I've noticed a trend in the shows I tend to watch over the last few years. I've been an anime fan since 2004 and it's only recently that I've started watching more slice of life series. It's not that I didn't like SoL back then, there were just so many other shows that I wanted to see first. However, with the recent isekai explosion, I'm lucky if I want to watch 10 shows a year. However, I'll always be a sucker for some good otome/reverse harem stuff.
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:40 am Reply with quote
I watch a whole lot less these days, watching maybe 5 or 6 shows a year, but I'm still in it as long as they keep releasing stuff that I thoroughly enjoy, like Brand New Animal and Keep Your Hands off Eizoken.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:17 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I never posted in this discussion.

I am a little with Blood- in wishing I could cut down on how many I have watch. At current my list of anime on this site is at 1326 watched in full. And I have had a terrible habit of going into a sunk cost fallacy of my time be put into a show I am not enjoying much. I think that I have been better at quitting a show if it feels unpleasant to watch.

For my preferred tastes in general. I would say that I got less into the sort of dark shows that try to act like they are super smart or mature just because they are dark and edgy. Death Note used to feel like a gold standard, but I kind of got bored with the gushing over it. I am more of a wanting something to surprise me thing, a show can totally hook me if it manages to surprise me after the first episode or so, it is why I kind of don't like to find out a lot of information about a show before going in blind. A non-plot heavy show I can think of is Asobi Asobase, which hooked me after its thematic twist.

I can be counted among the kind that has a lot less patience for harem shows, I just generally don't have that patience for a protagonist who can't be forceful enough to make a decision in who they are interested in. Rather than feeling like it is some kind of playing the field in who they are interested in. Or just too dim. Of course there are likely exceptions.

I do have more of appreciation for world building, in fact, battles actually far less interest me than they did before, they rarely grip me like I used to feel. So I can like something such as a fantasy that just explores the details of a world, although I will like it even less if it can't do so in a creative or way that feels properly explored. The amount of shows that have an abysmal idea of economics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3