• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hisako Kanemoto Stars in I.G's Maria the Virgin Witch Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
This staff has piqued my interest. I'll have to check this out come January.

Same.

Nice character design and an interesting staff, will give this a shot.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:55 am Reply with quote
I found it tame compared to Dr. Slump or similar children comedies. I wouldn´t tag the manga as ecchi. So half the anime fanbase is gone. The slow movement and lack of plot will shy away the other half, so who will buy the later discs ? The manga is in no way bad but 2 Vol. were enough for me. 6/10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I found it tame compared to Dr. Slump or similar children comedies. I wouldn´t tag the manga as ecchi. So half the anime fanbase is gone. The slow movement and lack of plot will shy away the other half, so who will buy the later discs ? The manga is in no way bad but 2 Vol. were enough for me. 6/10

Even Dr. Slump could be quite gross with its toilet humor at times, sure, but the art style always made it seem completely non-threatening and non-offensive. That's definitely more focused on the constant barrage of gags. In addition, I agree with you about the ecchi not being as much of a factor as people might think. This isn't like Girls Bravo or High School DxD. Which I think is a good thing, in my opinion, at least for those who don't want huge amounts of fanservice in every show.

On the one hand, you're correct in that the manga doesn't have a very fast pace. That said, I can tell there is some obvious build up during Vol. 2, which isn't even fully translated to English at this point in time. A few interesting questions are raised, so it's not like there is a complete lack of plot or direction. It's more of a gradual thing, which isn't necessarily bad.

On the other hand, I really don't think the anime will exactly replicate the pace and content of the manga to the letter. We don't know the episode count yet, but there's only three volumes of material to work with and certain choices will have to be made during the adaptation process. Especially since this director isn't afraid of making changes to the source material. That would be a problem with a more popular and complex manga, where it's a double-edged sword, but something like this provides more flexibility.

Either way, I'm not expecting this to be great. But it could be a good little distraction.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
Little_Hawk wrote:
Here's a question for you all:

a) Have magic powers but will never get laid
b) Get laid, and lead a normal life

if your also gain immortality with the powers then it will obviously be choice A. if not then clearly B.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2