• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Akame ga KILL!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I've only watched up to episode 7 so far, but my main problem with this series has been spoiler[killing off a character so early in the game. It would work if we'd spent more time with the character/if the character was developed in a more meaningful way, but nah, they weren't.]
yappers4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The only biggest complaint I have so far is how the death's are carried out. spoiler[Sheele could have won her battle because there was one moment where she could have used her scissors in the proper way since it can cut through anything to kill Justice Girl but instead she continued to use it as a sword. Bulat was killed off by his enemy using poison to strengthen himself and in return he received some of that poison, but we didn't learn about it until after the battle between them had ended and with him dying not too long afterwards.]
blindworm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Quote:
Akame ga KILL!'s desire to be thought of as more than cheap and reflexive fun is the biggest strike against it.
I'm not sure where this desire is perceived. Everything about the show reminds you that it's supposed to be cheap and reflexive fun, every over-the-top villain, every extravagantly absurd evil act, every ridiculously overwrought death scene... It's all shortcuts to that reflexive fun. Every negative take on the show seems to be centered on the idea that it's not effective at being serious, but I don't think anyone on the creative side is even trying for that. It never started taking itself seriously, how can it stop?

i think it took itself seriously from the beginning. actually if it didn't i would say it's even worse, since we have themes of rape, murder, horrific inhumane torture etc. those are serious things to have and not something that people should just say "don't take them seriously" that's just offensive towards people who have suffered these things and the series has them just to "look" mature but doesn't go enough into them to actually be mature.

also the over use of telling instead of showing in order to develop characters, the characters that are based on a single trait instead of actually having a personality

and also, you said "fun"...i don't recall having any kind of fun whether dark humor or satire when the prime minister's son comes in with his rape squad to rape and murder people in every scene. and added child rape to the list.

you're getting caught into the series trap that it tries to hide the fact that it's really nothing but fight scenes. exposition is to lead to fight scenes and to make us care about a person who is likely about to die, characters have quirks and nothing more with no actual development unless it's at a part that needs to make us sad if they die, and the fans of the series are suckered into it thinking it's deep and never been done, or it's not serious and turn a blind eye to the things that SHOULD be taken seriously
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I think those 5 examples were already a lot for me to cover, so I'll leave it there. But yea, I think Matt's review of ...

CK I didn't have anything to add but I just wanted to say thank you for putting so much work into that post. As much if not more than many of the ANN reviews. Anyway I think your points are right on.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I think those 5 examples were already a lot for me to cover, so I'll leave it there. But yea, I think Matt's review of ...

CK I didn't have anything to add but I just wanted to say thank you for putting so much work into that post. As much if not more than many of the ANN reviews. Anyway I think your points are right on.

This.

too me, both side have good and evil people.

The review about on this is totally wrong about "evil always takes the form of a psychopath or a power-hungry glutton, or that people become soul-dead assassins"

it feel like the reviewer only reviewer the first 5 eps. From 6-9, the so "call bad guys" are not very that bad if you can look it on our society's standard point of view. How can a policeman kill an killer is consider evil? Rebels are always consider the bad guys, of course, unless they won the war. There is no reason to remove the king. I don't believe the Rebel leaders are saints either. I think they can fix the kingdom's issue from inside. The king is just need better advisories.

There is another country boy just like Tatsumi, but just on the other side. Because he is not on the same side as the MC, he is consider evil. That's stupid.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
^I agree with what you guys are saying as well. This is one of my favorite anime series of the season. I too found the girl obsessed with justice really fascinating. spoiler[ She doesn't seem like a bad person when we first meet her,and I hesitate to call her evil even after all that she's done. Hell, she's probably the most "good" of the all the main characters. Unfortunately, her obsession with justice and eradicating evil has made her into a monster.]. I'm currently on episode 8, but it seems likespoiler[Bulat dies?] I kind of expected it, but its still kind of sad to hear.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."
blindworm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
^I agree with what you guys are saying as well. This is one of my favorite anime series of the season. I too found the girl obsessed with justice really fascinating. spoiler[ She doesn't seem like a bad person when we first meet her,and I hesitate to call her evil even after all that she's done. Hell, she's probably the most "good" of the all the main characters. Unfortunately, her obsession with justice and eradicating evil has made her into a monster.]. I'm currently on episode 8, but it seems likespoiler[Bulat dies?] I kind of expected it, but its still kind of sad to hear.

eventually like most people who read the manga realize there's nothing to her and that all her scenes will pretty much be the same, her screaming about justice and evil then killing someone. eventually someone will bring something up that she's mentally unstable but it goes nowhere. (don't worry about spoilers. as i said, this doesn't go anywhere and is overall pointless)

that's the problem with the series. I (like many others) loved it at the beginning. it had a lot of potential and some interesting characters and we wanted to see where they go. nothing goes anywhere unless it can be done with gore. there is barely any emotional scenes without people dying and it later becomes pretty obvious it's just exposition to lead into the next fight scene.

enjoy it while u can gentlemen, I just hope u don't do what the fan base does and switch from "it's interesting and deep" or "people just can't accept the reality of the world" or "this is life" to "it shouldn't be taken so seriously" when they realize all this
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
Here is what I wrote about Justice Girl on the main series thread in the Anime section:

'Uh... Justice Girl was interested in getting revenge on the people who killed her Beloved Mentor. She stated it when she engaged Sheele and Mine. That's not to say that she doesn't like doing her job of helping people, but she is psychotic and viscous when it comes to her enemies, whom she labels as "evil" to justify her behavior. She claims to care about justice while being blind to the enormous INjustices being committed all around her by the very government she serves. For all her talk about caring about Justice, she really only likes *believing* that she's on the side of justice.'

BTW, I'm starting to think that having episode reviews posted here is splitting up discussion about current anime into two places (Anime and Talkback), which may not be a good thing.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Idk what is with ANN and their reviews lately on anime. It's like they're going in there expecting something then just got disappointed that what they wanted didn't get serve and they just talk about it. One example is Rail Wars which basically is an anime for trains otakus. If you weren't even interested in trains why would you waste your time watching the anime in the first place? Also it's a shounen show so of course there will be fan services, I don't know what a girl thinking going in there expecting no fan service in a show that has nothing going for it except the train motifs. Then Akame ga Kill. Akame ga Kill has got to be one of the more interesting show this season with one of the most darkest theme currently air. Idk why are you trying to find "explanations" on how a person can fight like that even though the anime did give explanations of the background stories of most of the characters. And what do you want? a 3 hours flashback like Naruto that bored people like hell just to get very little relevant info to the anime? About the points of the bad guys being savagely glutinous people, you have yet even to say 1/10 of the bad guys so you cannot even come close to judge them yet. As someone who read the manga, I can assure you that when their back stories are introduced, you will see that they aren't as bad as you'd think. Most of them in the "bad" side are actually good guys who wanted to fix the Empire's mistakes. The thing was that they didn't know the fact that the that the empire is corrupted is because of the inside and not the rebellions. So of course, because they wanted to help their nations, they were blindly went to help the empire to take down the rebellions. And this is one of the best things about Akame Ga Kill that they used the characters like that. Because of the misunderstanding and their blindness of what is really going on, they were willingly help the bad guys. If Tatsumi didn't find out about the truth, he would have joined them also so just think about that. Also, I think the short times to build up the characters in the beginning was pretty bad sure. But it was enough to leave a small impression on watchers that they can somewhat feel for when they fell down.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
swap this and the tokyo ghoul review
Silozin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:56 am Reply with quote
It is cheap and reflexive fun. You're making it seem like it isn't. This reviewer is basically making assumptions based on his own failing deductions. It never had a deeper meaning than the fights.

No one understands the true beauty of this manga. It isn't like One Piece or Naruto where main characters are babied and cradled to great potential and will survive 100% to the end. The characters in Akame Ga Kill, no matter who, can die at any moment. The atmosphere of death looming in every corner had been emphasized when Sheele and Bulat died and later on a few more lovable characters. There's no shounen fomula here. The typical:

Main characters + Adventure + Plot shield = Shounen

Main characters don't last long and people die on both sides. Enemies don't just pop out of nowhere and attack. Esdeath's team has been shown to be a developing group, they aren't just faceless evil, they might be fighting the main cast but they are good and have good intentions.

People seem to not know what to look for. They look for a mature shonen in a Quentin Torantino style manga like this. Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. People die and that's it. They don't get proper burials and they don't get emotional episodes centered around them because people die in that world and that's a law of the world.

Wave has been handled so well that he may rival the show's own main character, Tatsumi, for heroism. The manga has one good thing that makes me like it. It has likable characters, very likable characters. The manga isn't a story teller, hell, it might not even have a story but it does one thing, make likable characters appear and then watch you squirm as you beg for them not to be dead because this manga is [expletive] merciless.

I give it an A because i've been looking for a manga that does this.

Making Bulat say he's gay and then turning him normal is homophobic? You expected Bulat to wear pink and dance? Just because he's gay doesn't mean he can't fight, kill and drink beer. Gay people aren't a separate species.

It's sad that people can't see the character development as well. Tatsumi has grown so much, spoiler[death doesn't even faze him later on. He is able to control his emotions when his friends are all dying around him because he remembers Bulat. This was shown 40 chapters later. It shows how much character development there is.]

This is such a great manga. It's like Game of Thrones on steroids. I find it weird that ANN has a bipolar attitude to new anime. Awarding Jojo's Bizarre Adventures an A- even though it has the exact same 'problems'(They were called positive points in the Jojo review) this anime has. Jojo's Bizarre Circus also suffers from 'Trying to be serious but failing' syndrome yet all of ANN licks it off the ground, every drop.

Last edited by Silozin on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Silozin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I think those 5 examples were already a lot for me to cover, so I'll leave it there. But yea, I think Matt's review of Akame ga Kill! is looking at things in a highly simplified manner which the show doesn't deserve. Kill la Kill didn't have even a fraction of the depth in most of its characters that Akame ga Kill! has, and the plot wasn't nearly as cohesive and well executed as AgK's, but maybe AgK's lack of super artsy styling is causing it to be looked at as "just another of the ultraviolent action shows" by some when I think it should get more credit.

I wish there was a thumbs up feature. I'd give both of them to you.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Thanks. It did take me a bit of time and hoped it wasn't too much of a wall of text lol, but I figured it was worth it to discuss the villains like that and I'm glad to see some others had similar thoughts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
I basically had the same take as Matt on both Glasslip and Argevollen but feel very differently about Akame ga KILL! I'm really loving this title. Matt is having the same problem some posters have had in the Akame discussion thread. Some viewers just do not like the mixing of goofy humour with very graphic, over the top violence and serious content. I understand that perspective, but I'm not experiencing it that way. For those viewers, the two elements (goofy humour and serious business) are detracting from each other. For me, the two are more than the sum of their parts. I don't think I'd enjoy Akame's goofy humour as much if it wasn't balanced by the seriousness and vice-versa. I also don't agree with Matt's opinion that they show is cynically trying to strive for some sort of faux profundity. Certain anime shows have always mixed the goofy and the serious - AgK simply carries on the tradition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 30