• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Akame ga KILL!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
Man after putting off the show for the last 2 months I just powered through the last 8 episodes and man was that one of the worst endings in recent memory I have ever seen.

Did everyone really have to die? I know this is not a happy ending kind of show but still I guess if the end result is the world changes so it's ok didn't do it for me after sitting through 24 episodes.

Of course they at least ended the show, since they burned through all the source material and not to expect much but dam.

At least the Anime ending for Claymore or the Original FMA were better examples of execution.

dtm42 was right the whole Akame cuts herself to power up plot hole was so stupid I guess the writers weren't paying attention and it slipped through or worse the said F-it and didn't care.

I just sure hope the manga doesn't end as bad as the Anime but it comes out at a snails pace who knows when it will end.

I'm kind of mad I actually sat down to finally finish it, I wish I never saw this piece of garbage adaption and stuck with the Manga. Now I can handle filler endings but this for some reason for me personally was hard to accept. All I know is all never watch this show ever again, won't recommend it, and certainly won'y buy it even if it costs 1 measly dollar.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
dtm42 was right the whole Akame cuts herself to power up plot hole was so stupid I guess the writers weren't paying attention and it slipped through or worse the said F-it and didn't care.

Actually I can't claim credit for it, leatherhead333 and gedata both mentioned it before I did.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:42 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Looks like I didn't edit my post fast enough. I explained why it is a hugely important detail, since it completely changes the ending. Not just what happens in the ending but what message it wants to send.

Your theory would have had some merit if there had been something in the anime that supported it. You can usually take what a character says in anime to be true unless there is some actual indication at the time that they are lying, or they later admit that they were lying (or were wrong). Akame did neither. There's nothing to make anyone doubt what she said, except this powerup which seemingly came from nowhere.

No, I'm pretty sure I saw the whole thing before I posted. It isn't important, and prove to me it changed the ending at all? From my PoV, the one of them that was going to die was already predetermined. How it happens might have been done differently, but the anime writers clearly set up for that ending.

And it has merit because nothing in the anime can actually prove that isn't the case. You can "usually" take what a character says in passing as a fact. "Usually." You said it yourself. There is a logical reason for her response being that at the time. You just don't like it. I'm not even going to try to argue that the writers for this ending remembered that detail because I doubt they did. However, the important fact here is that if you can logically explain away something, then it isn't a plot hole.

Mature-Kun wrote:
Unless the reviewer can provide some valid justifications for these outrageous scores I'll be avoiding his reviews in the future.

Do what you want. However, even though I don't always agree with him, Theron is the best reviewer on the site because, as Cross Ange's preview showed, he is the only one who isn't going to throw some knee-jerk reaction at you and will actually step back and think about things logically.(Though Zac's reviews are equally worth the time to read, but for a different reason.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:54 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
No, I'm pretty sure I saw the whole thing before I posted.

No you didn't because I only posted the re-edited version seven minutes after you posted.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
It isn't important, and prove to me it changed the ending at all?

As I said, thematically and tonally the ending of Akame surviving was very different to if Esdeath had won or both of them had died.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
And it has merit because nothing in the anime can actually prove that isn't the case.

The old "God exists because you can't prove he doesn't exist" argument, eh?

You've got no evidence to support that Akame lied to Tatsumi, whereas there is evidence to support a plot hole existing.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
It is kinda weird how nobody really cared about Tatsumi dying besides Esdeath. But I guess they just move on as a way to leave it in the past.

But yeah, that is a huge freaking plot hole in the anime adaptation about Akame powering up. Made no sense and wasn't explained as to why or how exactly it happened.

If you want a somewhat funny ending, watch the ONA theater short for the episode. As it has spoiler[a "aftershow party" where Akame complains about not having enough screen time, despite being named in the title. Mentioning one of the characters is still alive in the original, but died in the anime. Then ending Mine & Tatsumi watching everyone else in the party.]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
I can get people being unsatisfied with the series especially if they're pissed that it strayed so far off from the manga in a Claymore-esque fashion, but I just can't understand this massive hateboner going around with people harboring some intense loathing towards it. Normally that's only reserved for a kind of show that becomes super popular, otherwise that emotion would never be so strong.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote
Abdulaziz.Asker wrote:
and what's wrong with the mangaka's style? Why killing everybody??? The anime ended with the manga? Sequel?

The anime parted ways with the manga a ways back (around 4 or 5 episodes), so don't blame the mangaka on how the anime ended. The manga (which is monthly) is still going and that's all I'll say about it for now, as this thread is about the anime and not the manga.
Mac11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:14 am Reply with quote
Good Review Theron. Very good ending. One of the best original ending i ever saw.

Esdeath ending was good. Really liked she freezing herself with Tatsumi.

Akame's trump card was what i expected. As the sword owner the sword doesn't kill her, instead it mix part of the demon soul imbued in the sword in her body. She was spitting blood in the end and was left with some strange tattoos so it seems mortal if used for too much time or many times. Esdeath was keeping up with Akame in demon form, and different from Akame, Esdeath strength is not temporary, she is a monster.

Thought Akame was going to die too after using her trump card but the show got me in there.

They showing Tatsumi village was a really nice touch. In the first episode he left saying he wanted to make money to help his village, and in the end he did it, in more than one way (freeing the empire should help his village in long term, more than the money the got).

Night Raid fight was to free the empire not to have happy ending for themselves (as most crybabies wanted to see). Most of them dieing in order to archive this goal was a very nice ending for me.

Last edited by Mac11 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Abdulaziz.Asker wrote:
and what's wrong with the mangaka's style? Why killing everybody??? The anime ended with the manga? Sequel?

The anime parted ways with the manga a ways back (around 4 or 5 episodes), so don't blame the mangaka on how the anime ended. The manga (which is monthly) is still going and that's all I'll say about it for now, as this thread is about the anime and not the manga.

Hmm, not so sure about this. Here's a reddit post that quotes a guy from 2chan talking about what he read from a somewhat recent Newtype magazine. In it, some details regarding the production of the anime are revealed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AkameGaKILL/comments/2p1lxe/this_is_some_important_informationneeds_a/
In here he claims that the plans for anime original content were in the cards since way before the series began airing. It seems that the general outline for the story and some new designs (including spoiler[The Emperor's Mech and Tatsumi's trump card]) came from the author himself. So I guess you can consider what happened in the anime to be an original draft of sorts for the manga.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
I want to say that I found the ending to be "unsatisfying" but still want to make three "defensive" points.

#1. re: "And then the hard part begins..." Look, 90% of the time people don't want to watch the hard part of governance (how many people watch CSPAN?). The show was about a group that overthrew the government (losing most of its members in the process), it was not about "how does this country stand afterwards". Yeah, there's (theoretically) gonna be a whole bunch of problems for the new nation, but it's VERY common to end with the "hope for the new era" rather than "and the next cycle of bloodshed begins". see: Rurouni Kenshin (who is a good analog for Akame, ushering in the new era and then basically becoming an outlaw) and Return of the Jedi (which ends with a celebration despite basically being THE EXACT SAME SITUATION (band of rebels deposes a corrupt and evil emperor by killing him))

#2. re: Esdeath+Tatsumi, YMMV, but I appreciated this end. Tatsumi dies and when Esdeath knows she's going to die she uses everything she has left to go out "with" him. (ie. no one else can have him, not even his corpse) I agree that its ridiculous that no one really has much reaction to his death (especially considering several (Susanoo, Mine) died SPECIFICALLY to save his life), but .. "whatever". The two of them had COMPLETELY conflicting idealogies to the very end (Esdeath dies to someone stronger, Tatsumi dies explicitly defending the "weak"). I don't feel like the end was made to elicit sympathy for Esdeath so much as to just give an outside look at the tragic nature of their relationship. If either had been more agreeable to the other, both would have lived. (if Tatsumi was not as "heroic" as he is, he wouldn't have died defending the people, and if Esdeath had been willing to abandon the empire for Tasumi, she could have kept him from killing himself) Esdeath goes out holding on to her "moe" for her fans.

#3. re: Leone, I didn't count, but I kind of jokingly followed Leone's death like Catwoman in Batman Returns. As a "cat" woman she had 9 lives and burned ALL of them right there so she could take out the minister. As for why she died? I assume she only got out of the hallway in order to give the "final goodbye" sequence. (which up until the body in the alley, I somewhat wondered if it was her "ghost") Yeah, it's cheesy and hokey, but meh, they needed to fill time so sure, give her a send-off, why not? As for why she didn't get treatment? Two things spring to mind, 1. she took (something close to) nine bullets to the gut, she may not have died immediately, but I seriously doubt someone would survive that (whether or not she SHOULD have been able to move as much as she did is another story), 2. WHY?!? Again, she took a bunch of bullets to the gut and in a BEST case scenario she's likely seriously damaged for life, that's on TOP of the fact that all but 2 of her friends are DEAD. (and neither of the two remaining friends have good prospects) Leone is clearly not an "administrator" type character so she's NOT gonna join the new government and she wouldn't have been physically capable of going on the run like Akame, so what's the "point" of searching for treatment that she might not get. (Reminder: this is "at best" an early 1800s America era level of society technologically (not counting "magic"/imperial arms), there's not a 24-hr hospital with great equipment in a capital city that was just decimated by the emperor & Akame/Esdeath)
(also, as for WHY you don't burn your one-shot Imperial Arms destroyer item before he did, if you're THAT guy in a world with Esdeath, do you burn it on Tatsumi if your specific LIFE is not at risk yet? I assume he was ALWAYS holding it in reserve for if/when Esdeath decided he's a weak scum bucket, don't get me wrong, I think she'd still kill him anyway, but that'd be the only way he'd have a sliver of a chance)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I agree that its ridiculous that no one really has much reaction to his death (especially considering several (Susanoo, Mine) died SPECIFICALLY to save his life), but .. "whatever".

I think that is not correct. They did not die specifically to save his life. The objective was to keep him alive enough for the end game in which he and his Imperial Arms were expected to play a key role, which they did.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I think that is not correct. They did not die specifically to save his life. The objective was to keep him alive enough for the end game in which he and his Imperial Arms were expected to play a key role, which they did.

I think Najenda gave some BS about the "morale loss" of the public execution being an issue, but its clear before that that Mine is gonna go whether there is a tactical excuse or not, and the general vibe is that the team is going as the "harem" more than "Tatsumi is key to the revolution". Suanoo dies insuring everyone's escape, and I WANT to say he ends with a "I leave it all to you Tatsumi" kind of sentiment, but I admit this show has been generally watch&forget for me.

Plus, as much as Tatsumi was "critical" to defeating the emperor, I don't remember his Imperial Arms being the determining factor PLUS it's pretty clear that the Emperor even using that thing was NOT part of the plan. (I don't REMEMBER Tatsumi doing much special before that either, but I could be remembering wrong)
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
After watching the entire series, i can say that was not a easy show to watch. It was gory and not easy show to go with since you get invested into the characters. Good and bad.

I actually am glad that characters were dying, frankly it was refreshing in way since it prove the show wasn't stuck in a typical stereo-type of anime tradition.

The animators did a bang up job, Akame ga Kill! (The Red Eye Killer) will be show to be remembered. I think though, that the Akame ga Kill theater is worth remembering just the same. It was comedy relief that more serious show could not have in itself. It The last couple segements in the Akame ga Kill Theater did infact give better closure for people dramatized by main story. Touching ending.

Does Akame ga Kill have sequel? Akame as is forced be scape goat of the new government. She seen marching on to try forge a new future for herself despite volunteering to take burden helping the government and country move on at her own personal cost.

Who knows, I think if show is that successful and the original Manga author gets involved enough to help, Akame adventures maybe just as insightful as show that spawned it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I also enjoyed the death of main characters, especially in comparison with a show like Shingeki no Kyojin where it's guaranteed none of the major named characters will ever die. And should they, it's the type of writing style that would devote several episodes to moping about as a response, which is why it's been nameless or first-name-only side characters to bite the dust.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I felt that this was an anime-original ending done right. And while I completely understand why many people had issues with this series, it's among my top picks of 2014.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 30