Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Blue Spring Ride


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 11551
Location: Earth
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I think this is more of a classic shoujo with a good appeal to it and gets message across. Shame we won't get too far from where the manga is right now.

I expect Season 2 in the future. I really like the animation quality thanks to the studio though and some of the comedy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
puppy1843e



Joined: 06 Feb 2011
Posts: 101
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I think this is more of a classic shoujo with a good appeal to it and gets message across. Shame we won't get too far from where the manga is right now.

I expect Season 2 in the future. I really like the animation quality thanks to the studio though and some of the comedy.


I think the the quality of the animation up until episode 7 was very good, but eps 8 and 9 looked pretty shoddy in comparison with tons of still pans and wonky looking characters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SailorTralfamadore



Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 474
Location: Keep Austin Weeb
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote
The visuals are good, but I can't find much else to keep me interested in this show other than just trashy shojo being my guilty-pleasure. And even that's going away, as the plot decisions become increasingly blander and blander as the series goes on.

The characters are overused stereotypes (and the protagonists are outright stupid - and not in an endearing or believable way), the conflicts are contrived and dull, and the main romance has some weird Twilight-ish implications. It's hardly the worst thing in the genre, but it's a good reminder of why I stopped reading shojo romance manga as a teen...

But hey, at least it's pretty. Good design and animation will keep me watching a lot of the time, and this series has that in abundance. If only they could improve everything else enough to make it less of a slog.

As it stands, I'm glad this season also gives us Nozaki-kun to cure my shojo craving and Love Stage for my romance one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni



Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 1268
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
Being a fan of the manga, I applaud the anime on its faithfulness. I haven't gone through the early chapters to verify my memory, but I get the feeling that little if any of the story is being skipped.

Unfortunately, that is part of the problem with the show. It moves too slowly. As a monthly manga with 40+ pages per chapter (in general), it is fairly fast moving, for a monthly. There are rarely chapters were you feel nothing really happened. But when that translates to anime, it becomes a bit more of a problem. There is too much story and not nearly enough anime to tell it.

I haven't been bothered too much by any off-model moments. This episode was likely my favorite so far, with a great deal of intensity despite the laid-back pace. The final scenes with Yuuri, Kou, and Futaba are some of the best in the early manga. It certainly leaves a lot of questions about what just happened. (Rebecca is correct in her assumption that it isn't as bad for Yuuri as it seems, but the implications of that scene for the remainder of the story are HUGE.)

I do hope that there is another season forthcoming. If not, I will be sorely disappointed, as I find the manga to have one of the stronger story lines in the genre. (Though the current story line in the manga has started to grate on many peoples nerves, giving the feeling that it needs to be resolved, and soon!)

The ideal situation would be for the mangaka to announce the impending end of the manga, with a second season of anime timed to boost sales of the final volume. Is that too much to hope for?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
princess passa passa



Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Posts: 262
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:

...and the main romance has some weird Twilight-ish implications


^This part I don't understand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SailorTralfamadore



Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 474
Location: Keep Austin Weeb
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Ragga Ragga wrote:
SailorTralfamadore wrote:

...and the main romance has some weird Twilight-ish implications


^This part I don't understand.


The "he's a jerk but SHE CAN CHANGE HIM!!" stuff, the part in episode 8 where he pretends to molest her to "teach her" and she sees this as super-sexy...

It's not an exact analogue, but it's some similar gross stuff and I'm just so sick of seeing this in shojo or anything targeted at teenage girls.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni



Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 1268
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Ragga Ragga wrote:
SailorTralfamadore wrote:

...and the main romance has some weird Twilight-ish implications


^This part I don't understand.


The "he's a jerk but SHE CAN CHANGE HIM!!" stuff, the part in episode 8 where he pretends to molest her to "teach her" and she sees this as super-sexy...

It's not an exact analogue, but it's some similar gross stuff and I'm just so sick of seeing this in shojo or anything targeted at teenage girls.

Or, alternately, you could view it as: "He is obviously hurting and shutting people out and she wants to help him."

There isn't any evidence that she wants to "change" him, in terms of the "jerk" behavior. The teasing and sarcastic personality is part of the guy she fell for. She doesn't want to make him not a jerk anymore. She wants him to start caring about something again. (The fact that the primary something she wants him to care about is her is a given...)

In reality, every person who is experiencing unrequited love, or what they perceive as unrequited love, wants to change something about the other person. (They want to make them return their affections...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
momopeach



Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Ragga Ragga wrote:
SailorTralfamadore wrote:

...and the main romance has some weird Twilight-ish implications


^This part I don't understand.


The "he's a jerk but SHE CAN CHANGE HIM!!" stuff, the part in episode 8 where he pretends to molest her to "teach her" and she sees this as super-sexy...

It's not an exact analogue, but it's some similar gross stuff and I'm just so sick of seeing this in shojo or anything targeted at teenage girls.

Or, alternately, you could view it as: "He is obviously hurting and shutting people out and she wants to help him."

There isn't any evidence that she wants to "change" him, in terms of the "jerk" behavior. The teasing and sarcastic personality is part of the guy she fell for. She doesn't want to make him not a jerk anymore. She wants him to start caring about something again. (The fact that the primary something she wants him to care about is her is a given...)

In reality, every person who is experiencing unrequited love, or what they perceive as unrequited love, wants to change something about the other person. (They want to make them return their affections...)


Basically this. It's the impression I got as well. Nothing about what Futaba has said or done now says she really wants to change him, just that she wants to see him happy again, and she wants to understand him better.

About the episode, I really REALLY loved the interaction between Futaba and Yuuri. If only more conflicts were like that. It felt deeper than two jealous people going at each other's throats.

Also, I love Tanaka-sensei. I find him endearing. Well, I find the whole cast endearing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
puppy1843e



Joined: 06 Feb 2011
Posts: 101
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Loved how Kou is slowly but surely starting to open up again. And also starting to find out that he does indeed care for Futaba still. One of my favorite moments in the manga is happening next ep and it just can't come soon enough for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8756
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad someone else noticed the potato. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenebrae



Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 415
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, so how is this series, in view of me dropping it at episode 2 (despite my usual three episode rule) because the OTP both are unlikable a****les.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
here-and-faraway



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1436
Location: Sunny California
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
The characters are overused stereotypes (and the protagonists are outright stupid - and not in an endearing or believable way), the conflicts are contrived and dull, and the main romance has some weird Twilight-ish implications. It's hardly the worst thing in the genre, but it's a good reminder of why I stopped reading shojo romance manga as a teen....


I felt the same way after the first two episodes. I kept reading rave reviews and felt like I had watched another show. I've got nothing against shoujo and don't feel that the people who like the show are fools or anything like that. I guess I'm just getting a little too "long in the tooth" to enjoy most of what's being released in the genre. It feels kind of sad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zensunni



Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 1268
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 is one of the reasons that I love this anime, and the manga from whence it came, so much. Futaba successfully knocking down the door preventing Kou from opening up, not only to her, but the rest of their friends as well, is a truly wonderful moment.

As for the reviewer's fears about the "new guy"... spoiler[They are EXTREMELY well founded. I can't stand that "nice guy" jerk wad. I hope that there is a 2nd season, and it goes all the way to the end of the manga when Kou and Futaba are FINALLY together so I can see his heart break! He did some really jack-ass moves in the manga, even admitting that what he was doing was cruel to Futaba. Not that Kou wasn't an idiot, but he was still mending from his emotional wounds, and had some fresh ones opened up and other, complications, that made him do really, really stupid things.]

There is so much story left, it is a shame that the next episode is the last.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8756
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
You know, I think that's the first time I've seen a guy on the receiving end of the classic fall-grope. And she (nearly) managed it twice in one episode! Wink

But yeah, I admit they got me with the scene in the house. I could very much relate to that breakdown. I really didn't think they could salvage him for me, but they did much better than I ever expected, even if he's still got a ways to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
puppy1843e



Joined: 06 Feb 2011
Posts: 101
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
spoiler[I spotted Narumi in Kou's flashback, so I hope there's a 2nd season for her to fully be introduced and have Kou thoroughly break her heart Very Happy It's a shame though that Kou couldn't get his act together with her fast enough and then Toma had to come in and be a complete douche. ]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group