• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
This might be interesting if it gets a decently scripted dub.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh cool. I'm 18 episodes into Total Eclipse. I can sort of make a vague analogy to Attack on Titan — at least I did on anime-planet — though of course TE is nowhere near as good, and I've had some fun ragging on it on Tumblr. Still, it has its moments. There's a mid-series arc at an arctic Soviet base that has solid action and good plot twists.

Hilarious factoid:if you go by the original âge visual novels, Total Eclipse is a distantly-related sequel to Rumbling Hearts (by way of Akane Maniax, and Muv Luvs Extra, Unlimited, and Alternative).
Brave_in_Hand.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
That's a nice grab. I've been hoping that someone would give it a physical release. Also looking forward to Non Non Biyori's release this January as well...

Those will be quite the opposites I will be buying.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Total Eclipse is a welcome surprise. I enjoyed the fan service and the sparse drama/romance. If Sentai released all of it in a single set, it would make easier my decision to buy it.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see an older series get picked up, even if it isn't one I'm particularly interested in. Also, Little Busters Refrain was definitely getting a dub, but its nice to see it official now.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I thought Muv-Luv Alternative: TE was quite good, but I didn't think it would get licensed due to the flak it got.

Too bad Sentai was the one who finally grabbed it.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear Dog & Scissors is getting a dub. Yes, I actually liked that show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Total Eclipse is a welcome surprise. I enjoyed the fan service and the sparse drama/romance. If Sentai released all of it in a single set, it would make easier my decision to buy it.

Wait a year. Sentai seems to have a consistent pattern of doing separate season sets (12-13 eps each), then comes back later with a single box. In fact, the announcement this article is based off of has two such boxes: Qwaser of Stigmata and Maid Sama.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
This series is a shame to Muv-Luv universe. The VN wasn't as bad as the Anime. Though Alternative (not Total Eclipse) is, hands down, the best story I've ever read. Grand epic plot, many twisted events and a hell of an amazing ending.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Wait a year. Sentai seems to have a consistent pattern of doing separate season sets (12-13 eps each), then comes back later with a single box. In fact, the announcement this article is based off of has two such boxes: Qwaser of Stigmata and Maid Sama.

I am aware of Sentai's complete collections down the line; I just wish they had done it right out of the bat with Total Eclipse. And the wait for those complete collections is around 2 years, not 1.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Muv Luv getting a blu ray and a dub? Sentai sure knows how to get more of my money!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Never mind Muv-Luv - we're finally getting a Qwaser of Stigmata Complete Collection! Yay! Also jazzed for Non Non Biyori.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Muv Luv getting a blu ray and a dub? Sentai sure knows how to get more of my money!

Don't you know that boobs sell, especially if they are big. Even the great Funimation coined the great, enlightening phrase, "BOOBIES FOR THE WIN".
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
A bit of a surprise for myself that Muv-Luv is going to be dubbed; I may try it out sometime when it's done. As for the Refrain season of Little Busters, I'm hoping it'll be at least a bit of an improvement over Season 1 of the show.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:
This series is a shame to Muv-Luv universe. The VN wasn't as bad as the Anime. Though Alternative (not Total Eclipse) is, hands down, the best story I've ever read. Grand epic plot, many twisted events and a hell of an amazing ending.

As I've been researching this stuff for a "history of âge" panel I proposed for an upcoming con, it's crazy that the lynchpins of the Muv-Luv universe — Extra, Unlimited, and Alternative — never got animated, but ancillary stuff like Total Eclipse did. For example, if I'm not mistaken, the only times Sumika and Mitsurugi have ever been animated is for their cameo appearances in Akane Maniax and AyuMayu Theater.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3