• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Devil Is A Part-Timer! BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
Fully agree with this review. Devil is A Part Timer is one of the best anime comedies I've seen in a while, and one of the few that has consistently had me laughing. The reaction faces are priceless,( then again, the guy did direct Future Diary, which also had a shitload of crazy contorted faces) although some of those expressions looked sloppy, which is why I would knock the art score down a bit. Still, I really love this series. I like the music, especially in the first episode. It sounded all mysterious and mystical with pipes and chanting, even during the scenes of them making a bank account and renting an apartment. Of the dub I've only seen episode 1 and random clips, but it sounds pretty good. Suzuna sounds too wooden, but I like Emi's voice, and Alciel is so over the top its hilarious.

PS. Is it just me or doesspoiler[ the sentucky fried chicken guy look exactly like James from Pokemon? It would've been cool if they did something with that.]
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:02 am Reply with quote
TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE SCORES!!! For this masterpiece, I will give it a total of 6 A+. The best romantic comedy and fantasy anime ever. Ente Isla is wonderful and Chiho-chan is extremely wonderful!
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Fully agree with this review. Devil is A Part Timer is one of the best anime comedies I've seen in a while, and one of the few that has consistently had me laughing. The reaction faces are priceless,( then again, the guy did direct Future Diary, which also had a shitload of crazy contorted faces) although some of those expressions looked sloppy, which is why I would knock the art score down a bit. Still, I really love this series. I like the music, especially in the first episode. It sounded all mysterious and mystical with pipes and chanting, even during the scenes of them making a bank account and renting an apartment. Of the dub I've only seen episode 1 and random clips, but it sounds pretty good. Suzuna sounds too wooden, but I like Emi's voice, and Alciel is so over the top its hilarious.

PS. Is it just me or doesspoiler[ the sentucky fried chicken guy look exactly like James from Pokemon? It would've been cool if they did something with that.]

It means you are also a super fan of The Devil is a Part-Timer! , right? And for Sariel (the Sentucky manager), does Team Rocket's James go to Tokyo to sell fried chicken?
Seraphic Moogle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the review, I was on the edge, but I might check it out once I have some free time. It sounds both clever and funny, a good combination.
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
Sure Maou doesn't angst over what he has done, but I thought that his subtle body language in Episode 4 in reaction to Emi telling him that his conquest has cost her father's life(and countless others that happened to be PEOPLE, just like him--this is what I believe is the entire point of the show--but that's for another topic) andspoiler[him practically offering Lucifer's head on a plate to her in Episode 5(to which Emi declined)] was more than enough to show that he did regret what he has done and is willing to make amends. If we're gonna make him do more than that, it will cease being a comedy, and the writers knew what they were doing in choosing not to take that narrative direction. Too bad that it's lost on a good number of people and ended up reading him as an unrepentant, sociopathic war criminal, which morbidly amazes me to no end, to be honest.

The dub was good, save for the caveat about me thinking that Josh Grelle sounded a bit old for Maou.

If White Fox doesn't have anything else apart from Akame ga Kill, there's a great chance that we will see a S2 soon.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first two episodes of this a while ago and it seemed like a really funny fish out of water comedy, I should finish watching it someday.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I think one of my favorite parts about this show is the direction of the fanservice. Too often we see over the top reactions but this show did a fantastic job in keeping it in good taste.
spoiler[The last episode where you see her cover herself up and slowly turn red was priceless. There's no mention about it until you see the palm mark on his face a few shots later but the actual slap is never actually seen onscreen.] The way this was directed needs to happen more often. This show is definitely falls under "'tired' concepts, great execution" to me.
TooLazyToComeUpWithaName

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
I watched the first half which I enjoyed,but have yet to watch the second half.The dub was solid; nothing amazing,but it was done pretty well from what I watched. I do agree the handling of the Ente Isla language which was very well done.

Same here. I liked the first half, but just never got around to the second. The dub was really solid.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Great review. This title was one of my fave anime comedies of 2013 and I look forward to adding it to my collection.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
I like the show and it was fresh

but the story got a little dumb in the second half with all the assassination plots and ridiculous tattoo eye angels

I think you are being a little generous story wise with an A-

however I have watched the show 2 or 3 times and everytime it seems to grow on me more
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:02 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I guess I didn't give it much of a chance; a soon as the Devil knocks the Hero out of the way of some magic blast (when he should probably rather want her dead) I felt like he had turned into Generic Male Protagonist and lost interest almost completely.

i didn't give it a chance at all considering the title of the name as well as the trailer that showed on youtube. though after this review, i might consider getting it after i watch it online.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
That moral issues dodge was my one real problem with this otherwise excellent series.

From what I heard, the moral issues are discussed again in future arcs of the source light novels, which have more action-adventure in them.spoiler[(Especially the arc where the gang including Maou revisit Ente Isla!)]
The anime was mostly introductory in nature, using material from Vol 1-2. Later volumes delve deeper into spoiler[Ente Islan politics, society, and conspiracies, and give backstory on how Maou became the feared conqueror of Ente Isla.]

Also, the haunted school episode(Ep 6)and the water park episode(Ep 10) were anime-original.

Japanese sales of Devil's BDs were also pretty good, so there are favourable leanings towards a Season 2 being made. Of course, the final say will be with their local production committee and interested parties.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the details on that, zztop. I tried to track down a novel-episode correlation (or even volume-by-volume novel summaries) prior to writing the review but could not find a satisfying one in English. Definitely did feel like two novels with a couple of side stories were being adapted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
I greatly enjoyed the series, the action episodes giving me the oh-snap moments that i was expecting, plus a lot of little subtle things that were hinted at the review. Going into this i had no idea what direction it would take. I am curious to take a look at the Dub now
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2