• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter × Hunter Manga Hiatus Continues Until Further Notice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Ultimatum wrote:
Ownsin wrote:
i really feel like he is faking it, and being lazy just because he can.

It's possible, but you have to remember that he's not a young guy. He's almost 50 years old, and the manga industry is pretty infamous for being incredibly tough on authors' health. Not to mention he's writing in a weekly magazine, which means he has to draw up around 20 pages a week (uh...when he doesn't take hiatuses, anyway). He was complaining of health problems like chest pain as far back as when he was working on Yu Yu Hakusho, so it might be that he's seriously worried about his health.

I can't judge, either, though, since I don't know what he's thinking. Oh well, just hope the hiatus doesn't last too long.

He is only 48 and these long hiatus have been going on since he hit 40. He may well be ill, it just seems suspicious how often and for how long.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, color me surprised...
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Ownsin wrote:

Based on...? Nothing? Okay, gotcha.

He's been caught selling his own doujinshi before during one of the hiatuses in which he claimed illness. So there is reason to regard Togashi with some base level of distrust.

That said, by now, if Shueisha actually cites a health reason of some sort, I'll take it at face value unless something surfaces up.

http://comipress.com/article/2007/02/11/1492
Just look over the notes for the hiatuses over the years. Over time, you see less and less 'because the author is ill' and more 'due to certain circumstances'. Probably due to that earlier doujinshi selling incident.
So, I'm thinking that unexplained/uselessly-vague hiatus reasons are for when Togashi's just being lazy and everyone implicitly understands. And that citing 'health reasons' nowadays is more likely to be legit.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Wonder when we will hear from Hoshino again now that we are talking about hiatus
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Quest Heroes doing damage already.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'm not even mad, I'm just laughing Laughing
wiitard119

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Dragon Quest Heroes doing damage already.

He's probably preparing his finger muscles for this game probably.

Jokes aside, everyone in Japan is already calling his "illness" a fake after seeing a picture of him with his family at a local family restaurant laughing and eating which was a couple months ago.
Honestly I wouldn't have been disappointed if the anime kept going on but because of this "illness" the anime had to stop which was really one of the best animes on a weekly basis.

Of course, if he really is ill I will feel bad but he has been doing this way too many times over the course of numerous years.
Look at the amount of chapters One Piece has while Hunter x Hunter probably has less than that when Hunter x Hunter came out only a few months after One Piece.

TL;DR
Togashi get well!
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Ultimatum wrote:
Ownsin wrote:

It's possible, but you have to remember that he's not a young guy. He's almost 50 years old, and the manga industry is pretty infamous for being incredibly tough on authors' health. Not to mention he's writing in a weekly magazine, which means he has to draw up around 20 pages a week (uh...when he doesn't take hiatuses, anyway). He was complaining of health problems like chest pain as far back as when he was working on Yu Yu Hakusho, so it might be that he's seriously worried about his health.

I can't judge, either, though, since I don't know what he's thinking. Oh well, just hope the hiatus doesn't last too long.

He is only 48 and these long hiatus have been going on since he hit 40. He may well be ill, it just seems suspicious how often and for how long.

Only 48 is still almost 50. And yeah, it's been since he was 40 but he's been complaining about health problems for that long, too (like i mentioned, when he was working on Yu Yu Hakusho). And when you've been working in a trade that's so bad for your health, and where you do the same motions in the same position over and over again for very long periods of time, health problems relating to those habits can occur.

For example: back problems may be from bending over his work, or from sitting for long periods of time (this does have a negative health impact).

I don't agree with everything he does (No assistants? Really?) but you shouldn't underestimate the effects of long-term health problems. A lot of people have been saying "Wow, he's so lazy," and maybe that's the case. Or maybe he's actually suffering from serious problems associated with his line of work.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Laughing - not at Togashi but over the fact that so many called an immediate hiatus as soon as it was announced HXH was coming back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Game, set, match, check, and mate. Kinda sad to hear about, but I bet we all knew that this was gonna happen again. Maybe not this quick, though.

I hope me makes something of a full recovery... and if the illness is fake, I hope he manages to get his act together.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Shiz I hope it's not serious. And this seriously..better..not..be...in...anticipation of...the...new game.....seriously
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Its dragon quest as usual. Then again he does have two kids if you want to get real about it. Not everyone can manage all our hobby interests and family issues without some set backs.

F that. HxH now! Ch 350 chop chop.

Despite where we are in the series and how many loose ends there are, the way it's worded, HxH might not be coming back. Translation error hopefully.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
OMG I'm really surprised at the prolonged hiatus! My poor heart can't take it!!!

Joking aside, I hope he gets well soon if he really has some sort of illness. If he's faking it, I hope he has more professionalism. Honestly I didn't know about doujinshi-selling incident or happily eating at restaurant with his family before reading the comments here. I think the faithful fans should get what they deserves, and Togashi simply made all those faith in vain if it was really the case.
Sinbad96

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Ownsin wrote:
you do know he bends over all the time while drawing? That could lead to back pain.
lamel2g

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I hope he gets well. That being said I legitimately lol'd when I read the headline. I read the thread when it was announced that his back was hurt and the manga was going on a "2-week" hiatus and a bunch of posters predicted this would happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4