• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Under The Dog Anime Reaches Kickstarter Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
This is why advertising and production committees exist, that much money would only cover the animation budgets, not all of the other associated fees or rewards fulfillment.

But you don't know what strings are attached with the standard system, either. It seems clear that in the eyes of the staff, the Cost Of Doing Business the old-fashioned way was more than the $232,000 that's budgeted for KS-related expenses.

From here, that $232,000 is for the Animation Production alone (with $87,000 for Pre-Production). The KS-backer rewards is budgeted at $174,000. Also note that the more people pledge, the more rewards you need.

In any case, like walw6pK4Alo mentioned, production committees exist for a reason. If they funded it they would also need to pay out $232,000 x 26 ($6,032,000) just for the animation production alone, plus pre-production and marketing and business negotiations and other misc. expenses. But did you know that studios and creators themselves can also be part of the production committee, *IF* they have the money to at least partially fund their own creations. Sunrise is a primary committee member for most of their creations.

Of course there are strings attached. He who pays the piper calls the tune. But how is that any different from crowdfunding? They are offering a tune and you decide if you want to pay them for it. There are strings attached by backers too, as all exchanges/trades comes with strings attached. Ironically the same backers eventually resemble production committee themselves whenever dissatisfaction arises or whenever choices are offered by the project.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Just a note: This has surpassed the number of backers that the Little Witch Academia KS got.

It hasn't surpassed it in terms of money yet, but at the rate its going, we arent far from that happening
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I pledged about a week ago (only 25, school starting back up means I'm strapped for cash), and it was at around 380,000. Nice to know it made the rest. Shame it doesn't look like we'll make any stretch goals, but oh well.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, there is no real threat.

"Hey western fans, now give us $2.5 million for a 12 episode series, sight unseen! Stretch to $3m for a better budget!"

This is why advertising and production committees exist, that much money would only cover the animation budgets, not all of the other associated fees or rewards fulfillment. Anime is just really expensive and I don't think these crowdfunds can ever be more than just for shorts or OVAs. Even if they did manage to get one series off the ground, it's now one series of thirty to forty late night shows in any given season.

They're not trying to supplant the traditional funding model, because that's always going to exist, but rather to show that there actually is a viable alternative for concepts that the traditional model isn't interested in.
ly000001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
TBH, I have no strong interest in the premises of either "Under the Dog" or "Kick-Heart", but I backed their Kickstarters anyway at around their middle tier pledge levels. It's wishful, and probably naive, thinking on my part, but I'm hoping Madhouse will take notice of anime projects successfully backed by crowd funding and consider using it to finance the completion of Satoshi Kon's "The Dream Machine".
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
They're not trying to supplant the traditional funding model, because that's always going to exist, but rather to show that there actually is a viable alternative for concepts that the traditional model isn't interested in.

It'd fit more if Under the Dog was actually applicable to that ideal, but the trailer just makes it seem like other anime I've seen and enjoyed before. Maybe I just don't see how this is so radically different and unique.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this happen. I was tempted to add on that art book, but man is that price steep. The next best thing is the prospect of a t-shirt. I just wish they would show us the design cause I'm rather boring when it comes to my gear. A logo and series name would be my comfort zone. I suspect they might due something more flashier, so I'll pass on that as well. I'll just have to be satisfied with the exclusive cover art and OST.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Now, its time to wait for a whole year.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Now, its time to wait for a whole year.

That is a thing that might makes me hesitant on possibly doing a pledge.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
My happiness is completely dependent on the cost of a physical media release. If they are going to try to price this at 25-30 dollars an episode like tv anime I'd be kinda mad.

I don't care in the least bit for streams. I'd donate for a 20 dollar physical copy though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
It's actually $60 to get the BD.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
Good thing I didn't donate then.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
@VanGosroth

It's still streams, but $20+ is supposed to give you digital access to all future episodes, which is pretty amazing. However, the very late addition of the super-value-incentive reward comes off a bit disingenuous or used-car salesman like IMO.

I changed mine from $500 to $100 since they don't need the high level pledges anymore, and not really feeling the love with the disagreeable opinions, but I still want to get the physical BD, CDs, and art.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised this project reached its funding goal. It looked for a long time like it wouldn't by a large amount.

I'm also surprised how many people are willing to give them their money.

In the production committee model, the committee comes up with the money and takes all the risk, but in return get a) a say in what is created, b) the copyright to the finished product, c) all merchandise and other IP rights.

In the crowdfunding model, the crowd comes up with the money and takes all the risk, but all they get in return is a one episode OVA for $60. That's pretty expensive even compared to Aniplex pricing. And the creators retain all rights. They don't have to share any creative control, they get to publish their creation however/wherever they want, they can make all the profits off merchandising, and still have all the rights to sequels or prequels or whatever.

No wonder the creators are so enthusiastic about this funding model. It's pure win for them.

Granted, the 'risk' here is pretty minimal with a crew this experienced (aside from the producer maybe). And it'd be kinda hard to share the IP rights among such a large crowd without organizing them into a legal entity, but still, that's quite a lot of rights y'all gave up for one expensive OVA episode.
sightpicture

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
$5.1 million stretch goal for a 1.5 - 2 hour movie?

Wow, are they dreaming or are they just high?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4