• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Parasyte -the maxim- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I thought it was quite clear that Shinichi was going in with a death wish, since Gotou is a beast. Bar the Deus Ex Machina moment, I'm not sure about the "stupidity" or the "new concept with no foreshadowing".

There were multiple stupidity, first of all keeping his weak spot, he completely changed his appearance, even grew a new pair of eye but didn't even bother covering up that part? He also absorbed migi for some reason, despite him clearly trying to kill him. Then, there was not outright killing Shinichi and instead toying with him for so long, the show really never pushed trough with the idea that parasite were logical creature, at this point human are more logical. And finally (at least that's all I can think right now, could think of more if I re-watched it I'm sure) not dodging Shinichi weak attack despite earlier being able to dodge bullet.

New concept was about how Gotou would react if poisoned, that never happened nor did anything similar to that, they could have had a small scene somewhere where migi would tell Shinichi to stop eating something, or go wild or something. But nah here's it's just that parasite somehow go completely insane when exposed to poison (lucky for them that hydrogen cyanide affect parasite). The only thing remotely close was the other parasite been doused in paint thiner, but he reacted differently and this was completely different.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
Gotou made it clear in his fight with Yamagishi that his ability to fully armour himself has limits, the cosmetic changes from "going wild" didn't change the fact that he can't shield himself completely. Note also that in the fight at the Yakuza office his defences were also penetrated three times (since Gotou was keeping count).

I checked the source material shortly after this episode, and it appears the delay in killing Shinichi wasn't down to arrogance but because spoiler[the illegal dumpers responsible for the garbage heap had turned up with the police in tow which distracted Gotou while he watched what they were up to. This gives Shinichi enough time to think about what to do to keep himself alive, however the show omitted this detail and basically slowed down Gotou because he was enjoying himself. ]

The show has already given multiple references to the weaknesses of the parasites, mainly their hosts. Since YOU'RE so logical and willing to jump on deficiencies, here's a few reminders:

1. Parasytes can manipulate their cells and their hardness (biological Kevlar armour) but the base is still that of a human's. That's why Migi's talk of a flamethrower being ideal against Gotou made Yamagishi regret not taking up Izumi's suggestion when it was offered.

2. Although not as effective as a flamethrower, last week's episode saw the effects of fire when applied directly to one of the Parasyte components.

3. The parasyte cells are still human in essence and are weak to the same things human cells are weak to. Since you love showing off your logical superiority to the show, rewatch the episode when the government scientist briefs all of the brass present about the properties of the parasyte cells. Humans cannot drink paint stripper without doing themselves terrible harm (or are you claiming you can do so without ill effects?), Shimada lost control of some of his cells because they wouldn't obey the control tower's attempts to switch off the "self-defence" mechanism. Hydrogen cyanide is VERY toxic to humans so where's your argument that the parasytes acquired immunity to chemicals and poisons?
LordMaou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
Good series, can't wait till next week to see it. Had read a bit of the manga so was expecting most of it. But still enjoyed it all.

Great series.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Snip

I'd hardly consider sprouting additional limps and sensory organ to be "cosmetic change" heck even his skin tone change in the area where he was stabbed, so he can control to color but not the hardness of that area? Well no matter, it's a moot point.

My main annoyance is the fact that Gotou can kill people in probably less than 5 second, yet took well over 5 minute to kill Shinichi when confronted with him, that alone is just pure stupidity.

Ultimately only one if the things I said need to be true for the moral of that part to be "don't work hard, just really hope your opponent is a moron".

HCN part doesn't really matter, the main luck there doesn't so much come from parasite cell being also vulnerable to HCN (I can accept that one) but the fact that a gas somehow accumulated on the metal bar in enough quantity to poison someone, a very big someone.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Adaptation omitted the point about the delay at the garbage heap, but if the protagonist is killed there and then, not much of an ending to the series even if it satisfied a certain someone.

It's a manga dating from the 90s, the adaptation has decided to be faithful in order not to disappoint the considerable fanbase it has accumulated over the years. Shinichi spends 2-3 minutes attempting to take out Gotou and is only reduced to helplessness on the garbage heap; not too bad given he took Gotou nearly by surprise and still managed to use his weapon.

Deus Ex Machina is a useful plot device, this so happens to be one such application. If anything,
spoiler[ hydrogen cyanide rather than the original dioxin actually feels more realistic since the latter does lasting damage to humans but has a slower killing speed against cells. ]

[Edit]: removed unnecessary snark. Errinundra.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
@ meiam

I could surmise multiple things that don't make it so bad. First that he might need that spoiler[chink in his armour, perhaps only as a way to not overheat his human body parts, keep blood flow there, or something else, but he still has a small layer of cells on the skin to be able to mask it.]

Second that Gotou had two thoughts, that spoiler[Shinichi is just a human and thus stands no chance, but also that he has given him quite the challenge and time to get to, so he wanted enjoyment out of it].

Has this been a fighting series where the morals have been how the main character can win? No, the moral was about spoiler[humans themselves that are recklessly destroying the planet, that even that could fall]. Which although we have no way of knowing such spoiler[recklessness might be why the Parasytes are there in the first place. Such views of humanity has been a major theme of the show, that Migi has adopted some human elements is another].

We already knew this weakness that when there is spoiler[disconnect between human side and parasite that it would create disruptions]. What we saw that concept taken even further that the other parasites spoiler[detected a dangerous poison in blood stream and panicked without an intelligent brain centre being able to calm them all at once]. As we might have seen with Migi, the reason the parasites were happy spoiler[coexisting with Gotou was because they were safe, they were invincible so they did not need to think that much]. Adding in the spoiler[poison made them suddenly realise they were not safe], and they did not have spoiler[camaraderie of Migi who previously sacrificed itself to help Shinichi]. This may well have been the sort of thing that we heard that they are actually fragile. In the scheme of things they don't spoiler[understand how staying together and helping others, even sacrificing something for someone else like safety, instead they rather just kill threat and or blow apart].
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
@ meiam

Second that Gotou had two thoughts, that spoiler[Shinichi is just a human and thus stands no chance, but also that he has given him quite the challenge and time to get to, so he wanted enjoyment out of it].

That's a really long way of saying "he was being a moron", ultimately that's what saved Shinichi, if Gotou was smart, Shinichi would be dead. Because Gotou was stupid, Shinichi lives.

If we extend that to the human impact on environment, it's like saying "human be as moronic as you want, some deus ex will just happen and save you".

I also don't care that the adaptation is staying faithful, if it was like this in the original that was just as bad, the original creator should have done something different and the adaptation team should have done something different.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
@ meiam

That's a really long way of saying "he was being a moron", ultimately that's what saved Shinichi, if Gotou was smart, Shinichi would be dead. Because Gotou was stupid, Shinichi lives.

What have you eaten in the last 24 hours? Was it the healthiest thing possible for a perfect balance of only what is necessary, and eaten at the quickest speed? I am not saying this because thinking that Gotou would eat him, but there are human ideals about eating in whether they eat to live, or live to eat. For Gotou it was not eating, it was combat, checking one mettle, the important thing was not to kill Shinichi to live, but live to kill him. Shinichi stood no chance, and to just kill him would be a waste of the time he put into tracking him down for a fight. Rather than just looking at bullet points to surmise a moral, you should put in context of a larger story.

meiam wrote:
If we extend that to the human impact on environment, it's like saying "human be as moronic as you want, some deus ex will just happen and save you".

That seems to be what various governments think, but really you will kill everything else, and Shinichi really could have been just at risk of being poisoned. This time did not kill a human but if something like that can be brought down, then people need to change. The Parasytes themselves were like a poison, they held no belief that their actions were some righteous calling.

And it was not a deus ex, that means there was no hint before, but we already heard that something like fire which can cause disconnect between parasite and host can be a weakness. It is not too different that poison causing disconnect between the head that prioritised keeping it together, and the limbs that were worried about their own safety. And the garbage had been mentioned multiple times.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the story relying on Shinichi just lucking out at that point. Given the sudden and extreme violence of which the aliens are capable, any human who survived the story lucked out and anyone who didn't survive didn't. It isn't really what the story is about.
Glamrgrl104

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
Love this show not only is it unique, it really has good character development. I really liked Tokyo ghoul so was browsing around for something new and this popped up. It was a little slow at first but each new episode it delves deeper into the story and makes it that much interesting.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
#24 Final

spoiler[The aftermath.
Migi saying goodbye.
Guess Shinichi finally gets to be normal.
His thoughts were pretty deep and interesting.
So the drama wasn't over just yet.
Oh he was so lucky to make that save.
Being slightly more than human certainly came in handy.
Good final episode.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if I'm just not a very introspective guy, but I spent the entire episode thinking "Shut up, nobody cares" every time a character opened their mouth (or brain) to talk (or think).
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
After last week's episode, this week feels like an extra thrown in to wrap things up. I didn't mind spoiler[Izumi thinking about his place in the world along with how the remaining Parasytes decided to change their course of action to coexist. Then again the main point of this episode is to let Migi say goodbye and to tie up the loose end that is Uragami. ]

All in all, I've liked this series. Interesting enough to keep me hooked from the start, it might not be perfect but the source material itself is old and has aged reasonably well after 2 decades. Staying faithful is a bugbear for the "anime is original medium" camp but hard to argue with the decision with over 10 million copies translated into multiple languages sold around the world before the adaptation tie-up was even announced.

No sequel of course, but there's always the live-action movies for those who haven't got enough of a parasyte fix.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24/Finale:

Imo, this was one of my favorite 2 cours that carried into Winter. The second half had some problems compared to the first 12 episodes but overall was quite satisfying in terms of its story, characters, and in general faithfulness.

spoiler[I like how the logic in the finale (in particular the narratives) about monster/humans were crafted by our main characters. It's thought provoking and really shows how much characters (like...Migi) changed throughout the course of this show.]

Anyways, this adapted pretty much to the end. Don't expect another season/OVA. There's a live action movie though but I might pass on that. Overall: Excellent. I'm going to miss Wednesdays without this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
This was one of those shows where I recognise the objective quality of it but it didn't really grab me on an entertainment level. It definitely wasn't a joyless experience but at times it did feel a bit soulless (given the nature of the parasytes and Shinichi's disposition after his change that could have been the point).

Wasn't something I looked forward to every week, but I never fell behind on it. I'll rate it as very good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 26