• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Lie in April (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15:

Solid episode overall. spoiler[I am almost certain that Saito is making up a lie there (the title itself is called liar) because he knows Tsubaki likes Kousei. He didn't look very comfortable talking about it anyways. ]

Good introduction for spoiler[Nagi this episode although based on the feelings she poured into that play, there are suggestions that her background story might not be very pleasant either.]

Btw, does anyone know of the spoiler[disorder/disease/condition that Kaori might be having? The hints suggests that she can't move or feel her own muscles. I can't recall the name of it....]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Btw, does anyone know of the spoiler[disorder/disease/condition that Kaori might be having? The hints suggests that she can't move or feel her own muscles. I can't recall the name of it....]

The technical term is APDR syndrome. spoiler[Anime Plot Device Requirement. It is where they have to create a very specific medical condition to make the plot work. ]
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
^Usually that involves coughing up blood, though. Laughing
Yeah, I don't think they'll tell us what Kaori has. At first I just assumed it was some sort of childhood cancer, but she just fell down and couldn't stand up again, and that's a specific symptom of--??

I suspect the reason shows make up illnesses or medical conditions is twofold- 1. They don't want to upset anyone who actually has that condition by getting any details wrong. That's actually what the stance of The Big Bang Theory on Sheldon's undiagnosed, unspecified autistic and OCD characteristics.
2. They want to avoid the stigma attached to any specific condition.
Both reasons are kind of cowardly, imho. If you're going to give a character a medical condition or the characteristics of a neurological difference or a psychological issue, do your research and confront it head on. Real life differences and disabilities exist, be honest about it and don't make stuff up.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
ADPR is a high possibility. It could also be (partly)spoiler[ psychological or only weakness, no actual loss of function.]
Or it could anime's version of a spoiler[brain tumour, but that would be quite clumsily animated. From the looks of it, both her legs suddenly don't function anymore and that is quite weird, unless there's something that suddenly presses the spinal cord as well.]
Other causes are possible, but she seems to think spoiler[it's lethal and it's something she's been suffering from for quite a while. That excludes a lot of causes. But there are a million rare diseases,] so Laughing

Still betting on ADPR.

Now I'm too curious! I'm going to look that one up!

Googling in 3... 2... 1....
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Googling in 3... 2... 1....

Don't need to. I just made that up on the spot. Look in tvtropes first to see what they call it I am sure they have a trope listed for it.

If you want to make up a better acronym go ahead -- maybe it will catch on.

Update: I couldn't help but look (I'm at work now so shouldn't) and the closest I came up with is Incurable Cough of Death. Maybe this is a new trope after all. Here is the tropes page for AIYL. It doesn't seem to show this trope.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I was googling the manga, not ADPR Wink.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I already called Kaori's condition "Clannad Syndrome" in this thread which is the ultimate version of "Ill Girl" {that is trope you're looking for} where it's never fully described what's wrong with her so she could either get better, magically, or die, not so magically.

I'm split on the ending of episode 15: I can't decide if I'm feeling more "And what does that mean?" or "So what?". Either keep the audience on the same level as Kosei or fully inform them. We know there's something wrong with her for awhile now and we know that it's more serious than she lets on for awhile now. We got that but it's time to progress.

But on the Tsubaki front: We're getting a problem there now. The Kosei's that with Tsubaki seems to be a different Kosei now. When he's with her, he thinks only of her, especially with his oblivious "If you want me to stay, I'll stay" comment {it has zero implications for either of them because he's totally not leaving her and it's making her anxious! I don't get these two anymore...} but then, out of sight, out of mind. Considering his background, he's coming off as callous, something of a "it's ok if I leave them, I just don't want them to leave me" attitude.

But then again, Tsubaki is the first person in his life to want Kosei for himself and he does seem to respond to that. When he's not be indifferent to her; "Oh, I'm listening to you. Remember, I can't hear the notes I'm playing so I'm just doing this to seem like a jerk."

I really don't get these two anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Loved this episode, the Clair de Lune scene was enthralling due to the show's now-idiosyncratic method of synchronizing direction to the music in the scene. The way the tension in the relationship between Tsubaki and Kousei is given sonic life and allowed to breathe while Tsubaki sits there brooding and Kousei is being calmly empathetic, with neither of them actually saying much, is kind of genius.

The direction in the last scene was great as well, you can see Kaori approaching the moment where optimism fails her written in the poorly-concealed terror on her face throughout the entire thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Good introduction for spoiler[Nagi this episode although based on the feelings she poured into that play, there are suggestions that her background story might not be very pleasant either.]

Well to me it sounded like she spoiler[purely copied his performance].

Kaori is spoiler[degenerating], she seemed to suddenly spoiler[lose function of her legs], which means she is hitting a wall. I hear some people saying she might spoiler[have ALS], so better get those spoiler[ice bucket challenges] going. Sorry, that is offensive.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I hear some people saying she might spoiler[have ALS], so better get those spoiler[ice bucket challenges] going. Sorry, that is offensive.

I hope that's not it because if that's what it is then spoiler[she is going to die.] spoiler[ Stephen Hawking] has lived for 50 years with it but he is considered an unusual case. In fact every day he spoiler[lives he sets a new record.]
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
She is quite young to have that disease though. Most people spoiler[are past forty years old (not all of course, as Stephen Hawking is a young example (onset at age 20))]. Since there are likely as many diseases as there are people in the world and there have been cases of spoiler[adolescents/children with ALS], I cannot say it's impossible though. However, it is extremely unlikely.

APDR has a high prevalence in anime, so I'll bet on that diagnosis Wink. Unfortunately for Haruhitoy though, spoiler[that disease also has a high possibility of the patient dying before the end of] the series.
mierin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
There is going to be an OAD included in the limited edition of manga Volume 11 (final volume) to be released 15th May.
http://gentei.kodansha.co.jp/kimiuso
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16:

spoiler[Wow is that blood? Poor Kaori.]

Idk why but I find spoiler[Kaori and Kousei's relationship to be kinda cute this episode except when she is at the hospital near the end. I mean, that last quote.....what the hell? Meanwhile, I think Nagi is having somewhat of a trouble with her progress..]

As spoiler[Nagi's mentor, I think Kousei can bring out the best from her.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Sure, ignore the whole Nagi's "loving someone you cannot have" affinity with Kousei because, hey, it's turns out the one she can't have is spoiler[her brother Takeshi].

Japan, you need to see a therapist.

And seeing who Nagi's fellow student is and who her brother is and I'm split between deciding if it's a small world or a small cast.

And may as well say it, spoilers are going out for the manga already even as the series still has six episodes to go. And I thought they were for the show, how amusing.

Anyone else trying to figure out how "new friend" Kashiwagi got to be one of the ones to visit Kaori as one of the core group? Shouldn't she have been established as a friend earlier or is she just there for some jokes? Should Kaori have asked who she was? For that matter, who is she?

Was that book Kaori had from her friends? They gave her a book with a scene like that? "Oh, I hear you're going on an ocean cruise, here's a brief history of the Titanic, happy reading."
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
So now, spoiler[just like Saki did, Kaori is using Kousei as a scapegoat to her frustrations and projecting her desire to triumph on him]. Lovely
The more the show emphasizes the similarities between Kaori and Kousei's mom, the more it turns me off. I'm not even sure what happened. Episode 11, where the depths of the abuse and trauma Kousei has suffered was explored to painful degrees was amazing in how it made me connect with the character's feelings. But ever since Hiroko's introduction and the half-assed "Saki actually meant well when she was beating her child bloody" episode, I grow colder and more disinterested in what YLIA is trying to say, especially since drawing the comparison to Kaori seems to be an extra effort in redeeming Saki, and it makes me sick.

Quote:
Sure, ignore the whole Nagi's "loving someone you cannot have" affinity with Kousei because, hey, it's turns out the one she can't have is spoiler[her brother Takeshi].

I'm pretty sure that Nagi's love for her brother is supposed to be platonic admiration, the same that Takeshi feels for Kousei. But I agree that her story so far is extremely uncompelling and seems like a waste of screentime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12