• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
That last one's a doozy. I don't buy that spoiler[Tusk being alive was in any way necessary for Ange's determination, and frankly, it sort of takes her character's legs out from under her. It's a classic case of wanting it both ways (Ange needs to be sad about him dying, but he can't die), and that's what takes the drama out of it, not the details of the mechanics.]
msgundam2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Vaisaga"]
Blood- wrote:
That's just lazy. I mean, I don't

https://twitter.com/fukuda320/status/574289419907129346
spoiler[The highlight of this episode is Ange's change of awareness and determination. We've been watching her change since episode one. So Tusk being alive is very important and how he managed to survive is not. There is no drama in that.]

Agreed. It is not that important.

Maybe they can make it a extra ova on the home video release.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
That last one's a doozy. I don't buy that spoiler[Tusk being alive was in any way necessary for Ange's determination, and frankly, it sort of takes her character's legs out from under her. It's a classic case of wanting it both ways (Ange needs to be sad about him dying, but he can't die), and that's what takes the drama out of it, not the details of the mechanics.]

I'd say it's a bit necessary. spoiler[Tusk is one of the reasons she likes the current world. If everything she found worthwhile in the world was gone, she'd have no motive to save it.]
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Just a reminder: Only the director was against it, the head writer and producers gave Fukada the okay so we can't put all our blame on him for this one. Razz
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
He convinced her spoiler[not to kill herself without being there. Why couldn't he convince her to save the world]? Or just not spoiler[fake-kill him in the first place]? There are ways around it, if they were willing to put the writing effort in. Which is why I agree with Blood-'s take: Lazy.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
I really like this show.
The mecha action is nice. Not Gundam level great but nice.
As for the story it's way out the but fun.

Last edited by msgundam2 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
I really like this show.
The mecha action is nice. Not Gundam level great but nice.
As for the story it's way out the but fun.

Yes the mecha action is nice especially in the last couple of episodes. The Ragna mails have really grown on me. I generally dislike mecha that it too refined almost baroque like. You can see where the animation budget went. The story is to put it midly whimsical. In certain respects it's very very old school anime, much more than for instance Gundam no Reconguista.

Quote:

One thing you got to like about this show is how unpredictable. If you watched the first 2 episodes then the last 2 you would have no idea how the story went.

The show surprises the viewer by constantly changing tone. For comedy, gags to tragedy and end-of-the-world situation. It's playfull all around. Some viewers aren't accustomed to this type of storytelling. Some were expecting tragedy because the first episode was so bleak. But it was obvious the authors are having fun doing this anime. And it shows.

For serious anime look to Gundam no Reconguista or Fafner Exodus. Cross Ange is the antidote to such depressing mecha anime. Smile

Last edited by Cptn_Taylor on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
msgundam2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
One thing you got to like about this show is how unpredictable. If you watched the first 2 episodes then the last 2 you would have no idea how the story went.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Looks like we have the matchups for the final episode: spoiler[Rosalie and Hilda vs. Chris, Jill/Alecktra vs. Salia, and likely Ange, Salamandinay, and Tusk vs. Embryo and maybe the other two.]

The finale seems to be promising some excellent mecha action. spoiler[From the preview we see Rosalie and Chris possibly reconcile.] I wonder how much of the cast is going to be left standing once the dust settles (minus Ange,Salamandinay and Tusk who are pretty much sure to survive and Embryo who is going to die/maimed/whatever to disable him).
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
xifeng.hu wrote:
Looks like we have the matchups for the final episode: spoiler[Rosalie and Hilda vs. Chris, Jill/Alecktra vs. Salia, and likely Ange, Salamandinay, and Tusk vs. Embryo and maybe the other two.]

The finale seems to be promising some excellent mecha action. spoiler[From the preview we see Rosalie and Chris possibly reconcile.] I wonder how much of the cast is going to be left standing once the dust settles (minus Ange,Salamandinay and Tusk who are pretty much sure to survive and Embryo who is going to die/maimed/whatever to disable him).

I agree about Embryo dying, but considering the title for the last episode, I don't see many others. Hell, given all the physical abuse she's been though, I wouldn't be surprised if Sunrise even killed off Ange. At this point, she's just as much a moving target as everyone else.
Mecha Odyssey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this episode. In proper Sunrise fashion, spoiler[we see reused scenes for the naval battle and one obvious animation error involving the ship.]

I really like how spoiler[Ange took point in wrapping up several character development arcs with people. The best being with her sister and the citizens. The one I enjoyed the most was one I was starting to lose hope that they would address. Ange actually admitted how little she's done for Tusk, and forcing him to actually ask for something made for a really good scene.]

We also get confirmation that spoiler[Tusk can actually pilot para-mails as he's now using his mother's machine. I can only assume he didn't want to use use it out of memory to her.] Vivian still gets some of the best one liners spoiler[after seeing Jill in action and showing off her skills for the first time.]. Also we finally have confirmation that spoiler[Tusk was on the right track about stopping Embryo. The theories about his body existing elsewhere have been confirmed.]

As mentioned it seems the match-ups for the side characters have been setup for their conclusion in the next episode leaving the main people for the end of the next episode and/or the finale.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 24

I feel like this is really the point that I start to look back on the series, we have come on quite a journey. The reason to do so is that we seem to be in final battle mode, I similarly got a feeling that I normally get when I play a Mass Effect game, make a spoiler[soldier/commander getting the plan down, make out with some chick, a bromance moment as you finish off companion quests, and a rousing speech as one orders the ship into the possible suicide mission]. Note to self, create a commander Ange Shepard, although I still need to finish my play through as a total b!#ch, and Ange is pretty much Renegade to begin with.

Other good stuff happened in the episode too. I highlight in Ange pretty much spoiler[telling the double standard civilians who were harassing people to go screw themselves]. And Ange telling spoiler[Sylvia to just stand on her own legs for once, that Ange had no reason to be blamed, that there was no reason she had to be involved in her sister anymore], although I kind of hope spoiler[Sylvia will try to make it up to her].

Feeling excited, and if it ends alright along how it is going I will definitely be satisfied. Also, Tusk spoiler[is in a pink mech], not really making fun of him, mostly an observation.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I feel like this is really the point that I start to look back on the series, we have come on quite a journey. The reason to do so is that we seem to be in final battle mode, I similarly got a feeling that I normally get when I play a Mass Effect game, make a spoiler[soldier/commander getting the plan down, make out with some chick, a bromance moment as you finish off companion quests, and a rousing speech as one orders the ship into the possible suicide mission]. Note to self, create a commander Ange Shepard, although I still need to finish my play through as a total b!#ch, and Ange is pretty much Renegade to begin with.

HAH!

I started Dragon Age 3 when Cross Ange was about half a dozen episodes into its run. I used to play Bioware RPGs with a generic self-insertion character, but got bored of that some time ago (it's more fun to role-play these things as somebody who doesn't think like you do).

So my Dragon Age 3 character ended up being Ange. And it worked fairly well - you get plenty of options for being a hostile, sarcastic cow in the early stages of the game. I spurned romance flags, dragged followers along by the scruff of the neck and took the violent solution to quite a few of the game's "moral dilemma" points.

I only really get time to play at the weekends and maybe one evening during the week, so my full 78 hour playthrough took me a while in real-life terms (finished a fortnight ago). spoiler[Haven was destroyed in my game on the same day that Arzenal got trashed in episode 11.] I had to "soften" my character a bit as it went along - and indeed had to figure out a romance path I could get back onto once it was clear that Ange/Tusk was going to happen (ended up being Cullen, who didn't completely hate me).

spoiler[Sided with mages over templars, of course (echos of the whole norma thing slightly uncomfortable there).] Got along really, really badly with Vivienne.
Mecha Odyssey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also, Tusk spoiler[is in a pink mech], not really making fun of him, mostly an observation.

Well it makes sense at least, it's spoiler[his mother's machine and I would do the same in his situation]. Unlike Kira in GSD who actually reconfigured Strike Rouge to look like the original Strike, but I guess that's explained by the different functions of the VPS armour. Also Justice/Infinite Justice is a mix of rose, magenta and purples, so it's been done before.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Phew... just seen the episode.

Good stuff this week - though a few scenes in the first half where the art is notably wonky (possibly because the effort now is going into the finale?). But lots of fun stuff this week and a sense of character arcs coming towards their close.

spoiler[So... Ange is going for the menage a trois route? Slightly surprised, as she'd seemed firmly heterosexual so far, but hey, it does mean that Hilda at least gets the prospect of a non-miserable ending (and Hilda's already offered to sleep with Tusk once, so she's clearly up for that as well).]

spoiler[I see what Duskypredator meant about there being a Mass Effect pre-finale feeling to this episode. Those scenes on the Aurora really might as well be on the Normandy. Let's just hope this is in the vein of the right Mass Effect game. If the show ends with Ange picking which colour light she prefers and then a fade to black... I will be cross.]

I'd quite like it if they'd use most or all of the last episode for epilogue, actually. The importance of epilogue in 2-cour and longer shows is much overlooked. You need proper closure on long shows, particularly those which have put as much effort into world and character building as Cross Ange.

spoiler[And on character building... they've softened Ange... but only to a certain extent. She does kinda shoot a civilian in the face in this episode. Ok, he sort of deserved it, but still... that's some pretty definitive demarcation right there. I was sort of prepared for it to be followed by a dead Sylvia, but that just turns into a rather extreme (and quite funny) version of "tough love".]

Oh well, 2 episodes to go, and despite all of the strange decisions, the uncomfortable episodes, the WTF SUNRISE moments and the occasional art fails, I'm still loving it. Some series achieve greatness through a kind of calculated, icy perfection in their construction (eg. Madoka Magica, the first season of Haruhi Suzumiya). Other series stumble into it despite teetering continually on the edge of train-wreck (eg. Evangelion, Gurren Lagann). If they don't screw up the ending, then as far as I'm concerned, Cross Ange might just about qualify for the latter category.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 28