• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Le Fruit de la Grisaia (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah why don't you try telling that to a child protection official.spoiler[ No matter her intentions, her position as Yuuji's parent makes it a bit inappropriate for her to have sex with Yuuji. And it is exactly her position as Yuuji's parent that allowed her to do it because Yuuji trusts her.]

jl07045 wrote:
spoiler[She did it because of her position, not used her position to do it unlike what his previous parent figure did.]

Is there a difference?
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Is there a difference?

spoiler[Situation 1: A parent figure exploits his status as a guardian to satisfy his own pedophilic desires.

Situation 2: A parent figure in her infinite wisdom decides that it is in the child's interests to lose his virginity.]

Are both people exploiting their status? Yes. Are both of them exploiting the child? No, only in the first case. Parents exploit their status all the time to teach their kids so that in itself is not a problem. The problem rises if what or how they teach is damaging to the child.

So was it inappropriate? The moral norms in our society say that in real life it would be, no matter the actual consequences. Obviously this is just a sex scene from the novel adapted as comedy relief, as you said. We can judge whether including the scene was appropriate or not.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
So was it inappropriate? The moral norms in our society say that in real life it would be, no matter the actual consequences. Obviously this is just a sex scene from the novel adapted as comedy relief, as you said. We can judge whether including the scene was appropriate or not.

Although they drew some comedy out of it I don't think the scenes were just for comic relief. It was actually a pretty important point in the development of the character Yuuji as were his earlier experiences with spoiler[the boy-diddler and his own sister. ] It makes his actions and insights in the later parts of his life already shown much more believable.

The fact is both parties were doing it for their own pleasure. A lot of people get hung up onspoiler[ "able to give consent" and "legally able to give consent" and that is indeed important but clearly Yuuji did in this case give consent and bonded with his instructor as a lover in addition to everything else]. It worked for them and I don't have a problem with it but I know many people do.

Oh and yes, JB spoiler[also gave consent. She got drunk deliberately just for that purpose. Some people do that but I never would and would never want a partner that did. There are better ways to get over inhibitions.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
I will reaffirm my opinion from earlier that Yuuji had experience some rather troubling things in terms of sexuality earlier in seeing his mother raped, turned into a pedophile's doll, and almost raped himself before killing. It is reasonable that consensual sex could have helped him somewhat.

Also I remember a sci-fi book I once read that showed a culture where spoiler[sex was a great way for stress relief, quite scandalous for its time], and was even for children. And I personally thought that the anime From the New World took also went on that idea.

Legally wrong, but Yuuji going through that, might have not been so bad. And finally I doubt any of us are psychologist who have some sort of authority on this subject that would make one a huge target or something that pedophile might try to use to justify.

It suddenly feels like this is back at a topic from Astarotte Toy where the question was on whether certain actions. Actually I feel compelled to ask if anyone watched the specials, one of them specifically seemed to be about Makina masturbating, although bring that attention probably is not relevant because she is older than she looks. The series practically started with him thinking the girls were having some alone time.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Although they drew some comedy out of it I don't think the scenes were just for comic relief. It was actually a pretty important point in the development of the character Yuuji as were his earlier experiences with spoiler[the boy-diddler and his own sister. ] It makes his actions and insights in the later parts of his life already shown much more believable.

Good point. I think I've changed my opinion of those scenes a bit.

Although after what I said it may seem like I was bothered by spoiler[Yuuji having sex with Asako (and JB)], I actually wasn't. Like HaruhiToy said, it worked for them although considering Yuuji's past, it was a bit like fighting fire with fire and therefore risky.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Oh and yes, JB spoiler[also gave consent. She got drunk deliberately just for that purpose. Some people do that but I never would and would never want a partner that did. There are better ways to get over inhibitions.]

Eh, I think that's thin ice. spoiler[She was telling him to stop the whole time and that should have put an end to it.]

Anyways, I always take things on a case by case basis and this case didn't bother me. There wasn't anything particularly harmful that resulted from it.

But if the genders had been flipped, hoo boy the internet would have exploded.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Yeah why don't you try telling that to a child protection official.

She's training him to be an assassin. I think CPS would have at least as much of a problem with that. Smile
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Eden episode 3:

Mm, spoiler[Le Fruita de la Flashback. Interesting stuff though highlighting some of Yuuji's career as part of the squad alongside his comrades. I can't believe they killed off Danny though. I mean, I really like his personality and the humor he bought into the show. I guess that's the painful reality of this series relating to death..]

Anyways, I'm curious to see what else they will do with this series' development. So far, we know a lot about Yuuji now including ..well, his relationship with Asako Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Yuuji's moment of insanity or whatever it was cracked me up. Laughing
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
There is nothing really surprising in this story at this point, but I think it is very well wrought and it keeps your attention. Only thing that seems a bit wrong right now is that Yuuji looks a lot more mature and weathered to pass as a high school student which as we know where he is headed. That last scene with Asako really didn't leave much to the imagination.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
I would really like to see a written out timeline that is along with Yuuji's age, it feels like there is just so much squeezed in it is hard to believe.

Kind of surprising that they revealed at the beginning spoiler[of the episode that Danny dies], only for the end to spoiler[imply the event will be shown next time]. But I guess this show has always had a way with implying some level of bad things before the story gets to it.

Also, we find out the origin of the bush dog thing, with the same sound effect. J was kind of dunny in how insane he was.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also, we find out the origin of the bush dog thing, with the same sound effect. J was kind of funny in how insane he was.

Yet in spite of that he was an effective leader and mentor. It seemed pretty clear that much of the writing was aimed at showing how Yuuji became an assassin that was extremely adverse to killing, and how he got over that. It sort of reminded me of Hei training Suō in Darker than Black.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Eden episode 4:

Well, I think this week's episode spoiler[concludes Yuuji's past]. Honestly, I enjoyed it very much from the beginning. I don't mean the tone of the story but the way it really showed us how much Yuuji developed from a weak kid to a military soldier.

spoiler[Asako's death doesn't surprise me much though and I feel bad for Yuuji since she was the closest person to him. Well, he has JB now I suppose although I think his relationship with her isn't as close as Asako.]

Dat cliffhanger. Oh boy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Well that was just great. I enjoyed that from start to finish, predictable as it was throughout. Maybe it's because I expect so little of this franchise that when it meets even minimal standards, it's enough to satisfy me. Smile His spoiler[road trip], which was quietly evocative with good music to enhance the moodiness, was the best part.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this more than the first season so far but my reasons for not really enjoying the first season as much were stupid in the first place. Maybe it's the backstory here that I find more enjoyable and not as contrived as some of the girls in the first season. The music has a stronger and more lasting impression on me than the first season's so that's another plus. I guess one thing that this season lacks thus far is Amane's hyper sexuality -- I want more of it.

Onto the actual contents of the episode, seeing Yuuji spoiler[cry over Asako's worsening condition was a nice contrast to his stoic-like personality. It's really nice to see him show more emotions.] I'm a bit hyped with how they're setting things especially the scene after the ED.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 15