• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia 2.0 Wishlist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
*pokes Dan's remains*
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
It was easier back when the only people to see the TV version were in Japan (or watching fansubs). Now we have streaming with both versions potentially available indefinitely....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Would it be possible to also list or have the option to switch from your current Hepburn romanization to Wāpuro rōmaji to avoid the macrons and to get an accurate kana transliteration that's useable in 7-bit ASCII (US-keys)? It's also the standard Japanese Input Method everywhere.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly a fan of Waapuro-style because there's less ambiguity (at least for long vowels) and you don't have to mess around with macrons. All you need is to store the information internally in an agnostic form (or plain katakana) then that makes possible a personal choice on how to display it. It would complicate initial entry however.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ajr

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this is has already been discussed or not (or if this is beyond the scope of Encyclopedia 2.0), but if users could somehow bookmark, flag, or otherwise add staff members to some kind of list to keep track of them and/or leave ourselves notes on them, that would be helpful. For instance, I recently learned that several major characters from the central cast in Love, Chuunibyo, & Other Delusions are anime-original, so I'd like to at least put scriptwriter Jukki Hanada on some sort of "people to keep an eye on" list. Maybe we could get fancier and have alerts/PM's when a show they worked on appears in the News column or when their Encyclopedia page gains an entry?

Again, I don't know how much demand there is for this sort of feature, but it would be helpful just to be able to collect some of these entries into a list.
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
This is another pet peeve of mine that I've come across numerous times throughout the manga section while adding/updating info:

When submitting release dates, one of the requirements is "Country where the volume was released". One example of this being "2000-01-12 (France, Volume 40)".

Over and over again, English manga release dates have been consistently reported as "English". I understand that the companies sometimes release volumes for multiple different countries all at once, and it's simply easier to enter "English"... but English is not a country.

For going forward, can there be some kind of dropdown selection setup for dates (so they are entered in a consistent format), a dropdown for different countries, and then a text entry for the other information (format, volume number, etc.)? Even if then, for example, a release is the same date for multiple countries, the formatting will be (mostly) consistent and will be meeting ANN guidelines.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Chibi Shoujo wrote:
Over and over again, English manga release dates have been consistently reported as "English". I understand that the companies sometimes release volumes for multiple different countries all at once, and it's simply easier to enter "English"... but English is not a country.

You or anyone can use "US" or "US English" instead of just "English."

The "language vs. locale" problem is an old one for sure. ^-^'
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
  • replace "TV series" and "OAV series" by simple "series" that may contain (a mix of) TV episode / OAV episode / movie

This change has one big implication that may not be obvious at first glance, but in fact it's imho the most important change of Encyclopedia 2.0: every single episode will have its own entry with staff, cast, titles, air dates, op/ed theme, etc. So the entry for the series will no longer be crowded with episode precisions and ultra-long staff/cast lists. Instead it will only contain the credits relevant to the series as a whole.

Oh, and series will be able to contain other series. That means we could have a structure like this:
One Piece franchise
- One Piece (manga)
- One Piece (TV)
   - cast: Straw Hat Pirates (Luffy & the gang)
   - sub-series: East Blue Saga
      - cast: Straw Hat Pirates + characters specific to the saga
      - sub-series: Romance Dawn Arc
         - cast: Straw Hat Pirates + characters specific to the saga & arc
         - episode 1
            - cast: all characters, including bit parts

Ok, in this case subdividing sagas into arcs may be going too far, but it's to illustrate to concept.

And this is one of the reasons for the current policy that seasons should be submitted as separate series. When the time comes to import the current data into Encyc 2, it will be easier if seasons already exist as distinct entities.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Oooooo!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Oooooo!

That was my initial reaction, but then the gears clicked...
Dan42 wrote:
every single episode will have its own entry with staff, cast, titles, air dates, op/ed theme, etc.

So.... we're still going to be able to do submissions the same way, right? Because having to move in & out of episodic listings to submit staff is going to get old real fast. I'm also wondering how this will work with manga, where chapters are the equivalent to episodes, but staff is usually only going to change by volume (at least as far as we will ever see.)
Dan42 wrote:
So the entry for the series will no longer be crowded with episode precisions and ultra-long staff/cast lists. Instead it will only contain the credits relevant to the series as a whole.

I think my final choice is to hope this is a preference option, because it just seems too likely to completely wash-out almost all positions other than original creator. Using your One Piece example, how many people are going to be left when you consider all the different casts between 16-years, 18-movies, and another dozen or so specials?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I can't answer questions about the interface in any detailed way because right now I'm really focused on the structure. Figuring how to make a good interface for that structure will come later.

That being said, the submissions won't work the same way at all. They can't, given that the structure will be so different. But I'm thinking it will be something very ajaxy, where you edit stuff without ever leaving the page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3