• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shirobako (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote

Shirobako (TV)

Production studio: P.A. Works

Plot Summary: Five girls chase their dreams. The story revolves around the everyday troubles and hardships that occur when working in the anime industry, and the results and conflicts that happen day-to-day among the group of girls.

Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZR6fCnPcvA
----------------------------------

I was surprised about this announcement by P.A. Works. They’ve been pretty busy around this year with their work including Glasslip this Summer. I’m not sure what kind of genre this will follow but it seems to be slice of life depicting the lives of a group of characters following their dreams/careers.

There are five main characters and they are all girls so I’m not expecting any romance angles unless they have boyfriends or something. What I am expecting though is great animation, some drama, and hopefully a memorable story to tell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

There seems to be a lot of characters spoiler[(and donuts?!)]

Anyways, it's on the right track right now with a good story setup. The story felt a bit loose though but did match the overall theme/premise well. The episode spoiler[escalated a bit at the end so I hope it can keep the momentum.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[5 girls enjoying themselves in animation club.
The car race was fun ^^
Nice addition to the plot.
This anime looks fine, but I'm just that into it.
Pass.]
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I liked this but at the same time I can't really think of any reasons why I enjoyed it. It was interesting seeing all the animation drama.

For me My only gripe is (besides the blondish chick that races every where) I have no idea who the original girls from the Animation Club are or if anyone of the other original girls were even in the second half of the show...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

This was super busy and super cluttered with characters. While watching I could not help but think of the irony of the characters freaking out over the release of a first episode, worried about criticism, and here I was watching a first episode criticising it. I might say that it puts some things into consideration when we see how busy, chaotic, and a mass of organising that goes into an anime.

To tell the truth though I was finding it a little hard to follow and really keeping track of anyone who did not have an incredibly different character model was tough. Although the whole novelty of this has me interested, I wonder if this will be something I would understand better if I re-watch after knowing all the characters and of the process as a whole.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Aoi won me over simply by singing anime songs in the car.
Seriously, that's all I need to enjoy a main character. Laughing

Quote:
I might say that it puts some things into consideration when we see how busy, chaotic, and a mass of organising that goes into an anime.

That's going to be the major hook for me. I love this kind of crap. lol
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Drag racing? Is this the anime version of Tokyo Drift?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
To tell the truth though I was finding it a little hard to follow and really keeping track of anyone who did not have an incredibly different character model was tough.

I had the same problem. My head was spinning. Anime dazed
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
the name changes were interesting. Got someone from not Production I.G spoiler[racing Aoi]. Mai Nakahara, Shizuka Ito, and Ai Kayano voicing the girls from Exodus. I liked it

Crusher X303 wrote:

For me My only gripe is (besides the blondish chick that races every where) I have no idea who the original girls from the Animation Club are or if anyone of the other original girls were even in the second half of the show...

the one with the twintails who kept second guessing how far the club was from completing the movie was there in the second half. she was the other in-house key animator, after the old guy, whom couldn't be trusted due to being new
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I actually have up on learning the names and positions of the characters and just went by what was implied lol I loved the episode, found the laid back humor to be very entertaining. It was nice seeing what goes behind the scenes of making an anime :p definitely one of the series I'll be keeping up with this season. Can't see it going south
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Crusher X303 wrote:

the one with the twintails who kept second guessing how far the club was from completing the movie was there in the second half. she was the other in-house key animator, after the old guy, whom couldn't be trusted due to being new

I watched it again (My pops wanted to see this, said it sounded different) and yeah on the second viewing I did notice twintails was there.

I want to keep watching this ... if only to find out what happened to the other club members. Since this is a little over 2 years from when they where in the club, they should be some where in the industry.

I think I may need to watch the first episode again and write down the distinguishing traits for the other girls.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
You know I found this show enjoyable but I wonder how much of it was carried by the nice visuals by PA works and the charm of Aoi.

This show seems very real in terms of what it takes to produce anime. I guess that's the whole point but I dunno if that's directly entertaining.

It is interesting I guess though? We're basically watching people at work. I did learn some stuff though about the process and it looks like more of the original girls will be incoporated more in the future so looking forward to this.

Sometimes I wonder though how i'd feel about this show after episode 1 of PA works WAS NOT working on it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

More characters? They could make a mountain or two out of this cast. I... don't really know what to think of this anime yet. I feel like I can't get a good hold of it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm going to have to get used to the large cast of characters too at this rate. The director is awesome though and some of their ideas made me go Surprised in the latest episode.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
At least they do the Legend of the Galatic Heroes thing where they display character names on screen when they show up.

Anyways, I only understand about 3/4 of the stuff going on, but I think the energy and the back and forths really carry it. I enjoyed myself quite a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11