• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shirobako (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I have to admire Aoi for not giving up on him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
Special 1 (Exodus, Episode 1)

We have seen them talk about making the show, and now we actually get to see it. I did not really know what the actual plot was before, but apparently spoiler[they were 3rd rate idols framed for murder and on the run]. Not too often do you see the show within a show and it be fairly decent.

It looked okay, only I would say that there was some CG problems earlier. Also foreshadowing for spoiler[one of their ages], or does that count as a call back?
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
Just saw the special as well. That was one of the funniest things I've seen in an anime in a very long time. Some of it comes from it being a parody of a lot of anime, with things like the nature and timing of the fanservice shots, and the ridiculous garishness of the motorcycle with the sidecar and the heroines' and villains' personalities and costumes (lol that dude with the mask and gyroscope), but other aspects of it were funny in a more straight up way, like how no one is watching their performance, and how they have that long conversation and eat cookies in the bathroom.

THere were some moments of pretty high artistry, too. Despite the CG idol dancing parts that I didn't care for, a lot of the storyboarding was really dynamic and well put together. The best thing I have to say about it is that you really get a good sense of the mood and nature of the spaces the characters were in. The little stage with tables and benches, complete with a kids' bumper car thing play area felt like that kind of weird wide-open public space often does.

The bathroom area managed to be somehow sardonically cozy, and even though Tracy didn't like that they had to change in there, they seemed comfortable there too.

The corridors and storage rooms were connected in an odd way, and the camera angles and perspective really made it seem like a labyrinth, but not a dense one, rather a kind of 'leggy' one if that makes any sense, not quite the kind of thing an architect would actually design. And I'd wager that that's intentional, that they're kind of deliberately creating the effect of how anime often makes somewhat exaggerated spaces when not building them from reference since in animation the entire thing is artifice fro dramatic effect. I think they're also calling attention to the fact that there can be a real lot of thought and seriousness put into the designs and artistic aspects of something that isn't really a very serious show.

So yeah, this whole thing was really cool.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 22:
Good episode overall - had a spoiler[nice balance of work ethnics like the talk about storyboards and then a bit of graphic design and how animators are born in the industry.]

Anyways, it looks like the episode ended in a big cliffhanger?! Yikes....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
It was bad enough she was absent for so many episodes but now it's clear the showrunners get off on spoiler[Shizuka] suffering. I really hate those sons of bitches right now.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
Wow they really didn't learn anything from there previous experience, spoiler[keep the author out of the loop.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

Now that is an spoiler["oh shit"] moment, although I kind of saw it coming.

meiam wrote:
Wow they really didn't learn anything from there previous experience, spoiler[keep the author out of the loop.]

I hope that you are joking because that would literally be spoiler[poison to a company]. If it got out that they were spoiler[not even consulting an original creator almost no one would give their licences for them to do]. The episode even made a note that spoiler[what episodes animators are attached to are business cards], and it is also true for a number of the other roles.

This is why it is deadly important contracts be clear about quality of work, the editors of Aerial Girls have likely been the ones who screwed up again by not keeping the author involved until the last minute.

The episode title was a little odd, and seemed to be in reference to Ai spoiler[taking steps in going to a meeting by herself, which was apparently about drawing panties]. Probably part of a theme in the episode about spoiler[growing and moving forward]. I quite liked the observation that the CG spoiler[looked particularly good when it was used to mimic traits done with hand drawings with certain parts drawn out.]
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 22

I hope that you are joking because that would literally be spoiler[poison to a company]. If it got out that they were spoiler[not even consulting an original creator almost no one would give their licences for them to do]. The episode even made a note that spoiler[what episodes animators are attached to are business cards], and it is also true for a number of the other roles.

This is why it is deadly important contracts be clear about quality of work, the editors of Aerial Girls have likely been the ones who screwed up again by not keeping the author involved until the last minute.

Exactly it's a business card, the quality of the work and the reception is all that matter and what other people look at. If the author throw a hissy fit but the episode is well received, they won't have any problem. Of course fanboy will say it's bad because it doesn't follow the manga, but that doesn't really matter because they alway does and they couldn't really adapt it due to the episode limit so they won't suffer any repercussion. The only way this could be a problem is if the episode suck, but that'll mean the company is bad, it'll suck with or without the author help and people won't give them there license because they're a bad company, not because they didn't follow the author instruction. Not to mention they'll have to crunch so hard now anyway it'll destroy the quality of the work, probably overwork a bunch of person who'll quit/refuse to work with them anymore, so they'll lose all there good worker and won't be able to deliver for there next work.

As far as the legality goes, they can just say the editor gave the okay (which he probably did). If the manga publisher keep an obviously lazy editor like him, they most likely don't really care anyway.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Having the original author come out and declare your adaptation is terrible definitely isn't good from a marketing stand point. Completely ignoring the original rights holder like that will gain you a rep and others won't agree to let you handle their titles anymore.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I must admit, much like Aoi, I had tear or two in my eyes.
Excellent payoff.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
The spoiler[director is so damn awesome in this show. And gotta say, I was pretty ecstatic to see Zuka finally getting a role after so long. Well deserved girl!]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
[expletive] FINALLY! ABOUT GODDAMN TIME!

spoiler[Not only did that joke of an editor get what was coming to him, but Shizuka finally got a part. It might be a small bit at the very end of the show, but everyone needs to start somewhere.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 23

YES! This anime just got me to cheer and then cry along with a character.

The editor thought that spoiler[putting few things on the creator's plate was the best thing to get him out of what appeared to be a writers block, because the story was personal to him it took a while before he found out parts of the anime he was not happy with]. But in the end the best way for spoiler[him to be able to move forward with where he wanted the story to go was to meet someone who had also looked through and understood the characters so much]. The director was passionate about the story, and when spoiler[that combined with the original creator's they were able to come to a conclusion both liked].

Going back a bit I have to mention the spoiler[director's campaign to the meeting, it was very humorous in being a bit silly, but quite useful as a method to show his determination]. Wearing a spoiler[cowboy costume or flying around like a plane] might be silly and childish, but there is not a bad thing, that child aspect can be the very core of a person, and it is from there that their passion is. It was like cheering on a hero, and probably the most unlikely one at that.

And with the end finally spoiler[giving Zuka a role that fit her perfectly, one important step forward and for part of a massive dream], it was emotional. And that might seem strange outside of what the core aspects of what this show is compared to anime that are all fantastical. Things can look silly to outsiders, but to those who are involved, they can mean everything.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24/Finale:

Great way to conclude the show with the main and supporting characters coming together one last time with discussions for their project. From the workplace relationships, comedy, and refreshing concepts, this show really stood out as a dark horse imo for the season.

The spoiler[group photo] also made me smile at the end although I'm also a bit sad that the series is over....

Rating this as Excellent. There's still one more OVA left but I want a season 2!
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
;_; The final episode was late from Crunchyroll (but when did it get to them?), but Shirobako's over...

Wow, that was a great conclusion, from the finishing up of production, to spoiler[the race to get the tapes delivered to the TV stations here and there around the country], to spoiler[the after party with so many people present, including the mangaka], to the spoiler[epilogue with the five girls^H^H^H^H^Hladies]. I'm not sure how many people can quickly come up with spoiler[a speech like that on the spot], but Aoi spoiler[managed to do pretty well]. Shizuka's spoiler[got more work as a seiyuu! ^_^]

I'd love to see more of their progress in the anime industry (and maybe they could slowly self-produce their high school project with their new knowledge and skills), but this is a very satisfying end point if PA Works doesn't return to Shirobako. I'm seriously tempted to order the Japanese release. Unless ADV puts this out as sets like Chuu^2's, their release just won't do the series justice...

If I ever got around to rating anything (here on ANN or anywhere else), I'd place it up near the top of the scale. It was wonderful. ;_;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11