• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 is going to depend on how it sells, but I checked about the DVD/BD sales and so far they're not released any one yet, they are waiting for May to do it, so maybe we'll have to wait a little bit to know if they will try another season, or maybe they will tell in a few weeks and they will risk, who knows.

Oh btw I just caught up with the whole series, I heard it was good and it improved after the weak start so I watched and yes, I enjoyed quite a bit, and I would like to see more.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone think that that Yona should be mentioned in this list? I haven't seen the series, so I'm not comfortable doing so.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Yona, for a list of strong female characters? For sure. She's a great example of how strength doesn't have to mean "I can beat all the bad guys single-handedly," instead working with what she has and who she is to make a real difference in her world and in the lives of those around her. And I really love how the series chronicles her growth realistically: she doesn't just flip a switch and become perfect, but continues to learn and seek to improve herself.

(is this your way of asking someone to nominate her over on that thread? :) )

Last episode, gahhhh~!! It seems like they fit in everything they wanted to, though. (for now?) I don't necessarily think that every anime needs to follow its manga word for word or panel for panel but in this case I'm really glad it did, since nothing felt rushed or lacking in explanation to me...

I also loved how this episode used the ending song. We got to hear the extra bit of vocals from ep22 (and it's interesting that both scenes highlight the same character), but a different bit for the scene before that, so now I don't have to associate the whole song with that beautiful, painful scene in 22. Hak's speech?/declaration in this ep is one of my favourite (and most-frequently-reread) parts of the series so far.

And then there was the "As you wish" at the very end... :D
samyamsamy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Does anyone think that that Yona should be mentioned in this list? I haven't seen the series, so I'm not comfortable doing so.

i dont think so..Yona is sure becoming badass but she is not actually that strong yet. She could be considered badass but not strong. There's a difference. She can be scary, agreed. She can make the enemy afraid, agreed. But she lacks the skill. She still misses sometimes you know. She has the spirit and the badass aura but she does'nt have the skill, strength and the power. I mean, she has skill, strength and power but they have not yet matured enough.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
While it was a decent series, the first few episodes showed some things that are after what the ending was.

They have hinted at OVAs I think as well, so might see more stuff from that. At the moment with it the end of the season even with it being the end of that it doesn't feel complete.

Like the priest said, it's not time yet.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I think that was as good an ending as they could do with having to stop here. My only complaint was they reverted back to their old problem of the music being way too loud and drowning out the dialog. Hopefully someone will pay attention to the sound levels for the video releases.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
@samyamsamy, maybe our definition of strong characters is different? (and I'm not sure exactly which one that thread is using.) When I say that Yona is strong, I mean that she has strength of character in difficult situations, and that she's a well-developed, admirable character. She's flawed in a realistic human way, but not content to stay as she is; she seeks to improve herself and works to make things better for others. I'm not thinking so much about physical strength in battle (though she at least has endurance, as her self-motivated training shows).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
@samyamsamy, maybe our definition of strong characters is different? (and I'm not sure exactly which one that thread is using.) [...]
When I say "strong" I mean mentally &/or physically. Just take the time to read that entire thread; there's a debate about who's strong throughout a show as opposed to one who evolves throughout a show into a strong one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

Kind of sad to add the "finale" at the top, Yona of the Dawn has been a great show, something that I think works past its target market. Yona evolves great, at the beginning all she has is a little spunk, and generally not being a bad person, as such she practically could not survive on her own, Hak pretty much had to drag her to safety. From little acts Yona grows from being protected to wanting to protect those people in return. With the last episode including Yona spoiler[preparing a fawn to be eaten we see that Yona has gained an appreciation of the struggles of all others, and the strength needed to live].

It goes beyond Yona too. Hak is a cool guy, he can seem a bit arrogant but he still listens and thinks. Yun, I say the normal badass, he does not fight but is arguably one of the most important characters in helping the team with his range of other skills. Gija quickly grew onto me after appearing kind of self centred, Shin-ah is adorkable, and Jea-ha was also fun. We really have not seen much of yellow dragon, so I honestly cannot say much of him this season. Hak spoiler[hurting him as well as Hak saying that he was yellow dragon all along] was funny, as was him spoiler[liking the sound as evil black dragon].

I really enjoyed Yona of the Dawn, and as an exception I do feel it necessary to actually point out a few episodes that may have been necessary but felt weaker by straying from the group. I will rate it Excellent, it has been one of my favourite shows during the run.

That this has been going along the same time as Cross Ange, I almost feel like comparing the titular heroines from both series, fallen princesses that and grown over time. Although they have grown in different ways with Ange getting the strength more immediate while Yona's moral compass coming much easier.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:50 am Reply with quote
Ah, Yona, Yona, Yona - how I shall miss thee. Where am I gonna get my fantasy shoujo kicks now? I rated this series - what else? - Excellent. One could even say it was Most Excellent. I'm not even going to entertain the notion that it WON'T get a second season at some point because that would be just absurd.

So this isn't goodbye, Yona - it's until we meet again.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
I’ll miss Yona too. I come to like Yona and the Green Dragon and I am interested in Soo-won, so I hope it will sell very well and there will be another season. Interactions between characters are pretty well done, my only complaint is that interactions between supporting characters should be a bit more developed. And that Hak should have got more development if he supposed to be Yona’s romantic interest, because he is a better wish fulfillment than a character. Even the Yellow Dragon made himself far more intriguing than Hak after 24 episodes. I would also like to have this romance between Hak and Yona handled differently, but at least romantic scenes are few and far between, so I can deal with it.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:39 am Reply with quote
I'll definitely miss this show too. I didn't think it was that great at first, but it really grew on me over the season. Yona grew so much over the course of the series, and is one of my favourite female leads now. I'm looking forward to Akagami no Shirayuki-hime for my next shojo. Now, Viz gimme the manga.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Agreed with st_owly. I rated this title Very Good, but that's because of the drawn out Soo-Won arc, slightly awkward music direction in the beginning (so glad the volume went down a few notches later on) and its start. The show's start was decent and did hint at developing greatness, but it took some time for me to grew fond of all these characters. I was a bit wary at first, that it would become Spineless Shoujo of the Harem Dawn or something.
I'm a bit in love with the Green Dragon now, shows full of bishounen aren't necessarily a bad thing Embarassed . And character wise I loved Gigan, Yona and Yun.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Yup, gonna miss this as well. loved nearly every minute of it
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Well I didn't massively enjoy it like the rest of you seem to have, but I did like most of it and rated it good. The slow pacing was the biggest issue I had with the show. I feel like I'm in the minority as I greatly enjoyed the first few episodes and found the middle part of the show to be almost boring at times. The Green Dragon arc was then very enjoyable again. I too hope that it gets a second season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 30