• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
OVA

A little bit of background on Gija, some info on his relationship with his predecessor, who was his father. It was pretty different to Shinha's, but also a bit of similarities. Some depth in there.

In general I was happy to see the gang again. Interesting that a reverse harem has a hot spring episode, I guess fanserveice?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
(More than a half hundred points about this project; WARNING: Story/Setting section contains spoilers segment that is too big to be tagged.)

CONCEPT:
. the idea of Chinese-mythology inspired stories of royal dynasties and wars for ascension are nearly beaten to death, so the show does not get points for originality; the success of such project depends on how well it is executed;
. this specific story about a reverse harem with the dragons has been done few times already; it looks like it gets redone nearly every decade;

CHARACTERS:
. an airhead female lead with no character, always victim of circumstances, a damsel in distress that, of course, stumbles in the series at least once;
. the spoiler[evil] prince tells that his childhood friends never knew real him, but it makes no sense since they were literally children when they have met and became friends; in such early age children are not capable of building anywhere convincing pretence persona as depicted in this show in the flashbacks, they are real in that age;
. the princess is a sociopath as she is shown thinking about her failed love instead of her spoiler[father that was just killed] in the front of her eyes;
. main characters are made to be really dim, make absurd, suicidal decisions, maniacal in always trying to kill each other (more on that below). They all are either meant to be locked up to a mental institution, or to prison.

STORYTELLING:
. the way this show is done indicates that it should have been 12 episodes, not 24: it drags too long, too much of petty cutesy talks and pointless scenes that do not move the story forward;
. irritating "flashforwards", overly long and almost useless flashbacks to the childhood of the main heroes;

STORY/SETTING (from episodes 1-24, consecutively):
. it is not believable that the court has allowed two sexually mature youth to be around the princess; in reality, only females or castrates would be allowed near her;
. the spoiler[evil] prince all of sudden was able to gather impossible number of spoiler[conspirators against the king] within his court and its guards, that it does not seem believable at all, considering how peaceful and kind the image of the king was in court (not to be confused with king's image among commoners);
. annoyingly unbelievable deus ex machina plot vehicles such as huge fire starting accidentally in the front of people just because of a fallen candle (never happened in the castles as such fires get quickly extinguished if people are around);
. dramatic reveals and explanations to the vanquished enemy, instead of immediately killing him as it would happen in real life;
. during the fleeing from the castle scene a young lad gets show by an arrow, but does not fall even for a second, which is ridiculous since the impact that an arrow makes on the body is very significant (even if the wound is not mortal);
. the evil prince drops the hunt for the fugitive princess and her guard because "they are outside of the castle, they can not do anything" -- it is ridiculously absurd as royals always were dangerous be they inside or outside castle since they would gather support form neighbouring countries, ask their armies for help, use mercenaries to get to their throne back, promising good rewards to those who help them. It is literally impossible to imagine that an usurper would ever use such argument as the cited one to stop the hunt;
. the fugitives lose their minds and became suicidal as they decide to go to the bodyguards' home-town -- one of the places where the pursuers definitely target;
. the good lad character is presented as pertaining to the low class, but it turns out he is not as he is revered as a leader of the Wind clan;
. the villagers of the Wind clan are all of sudden unaware that the princess has uniquely rare red hair;
. the idea that merchants sell water (let alone in quantities that would be enough for a whole tribe to live) is ridiculous, and yet this is what is offered as an excuse why the Wind tribe did nothing after its river was dammed by Fire tribe;
. Fire tribe attacked the merchants, and it has become known to Wind tribe. Nothing was said about the merchandise, so it should have been intact -- at least things like medicine. Yet instead of the medicine from those merchants, the tribe sends lad to some forest to buy the medicine there;
. while pretending to behave in a noble manner, the main lad apparently still wants the princess get killed as he ask the elder to keep her in the tribe, where she would be definitely found and killed by the new royal guards;
. even when the princess wants to leave the tribe, the main lad still wants to kill her, persuading her to stay;
. the elder gave a grandiose farewell speech to the princess about how Wind tribe would do anything to protect her while her very reason for leaving is that the tribe is not able to protect neither her, nor itself;
. after leaving the tribe with the main lad, the princess went suicidal again as she did not cover her uniquely red hair to be easily spotted and reported to the government.
. main lads' fighting technique is all of sudden comparing to lighting, even though it is nothing similar, makes no sense;
. the Fire tribe lad pursued the pair to capture the princess, and yet his troops are shooting arrows at them, wanting to kill her;
. arrow pierces the main lad, but he pulls it off, what is due to the form of arrowhead impossible to do without taking out a huge chunk of the body and causing deadly bleeding;
. the princess apparently is not too much against if the main lad would die since she finds time to perform a dramatic stare at a Fire tribe lad pose right at the time when the main lad barely hangs over cliff;
. the main lad, who is, among other things, a great archer, teachers the princess that a good archer is able to aim at targets with his/her eyes closed, which is ridiculous nonsense;
. the princess practices archery during the nights, which is absurd as you can not aim properly in the darkness. Even if you are busy travelling, there are always breaks when you could practice. Besides, travellers are dead-tired by evening, so there is just no way the princess would wander in the woods during the nights anyway; her pals would not be able, too (in the anime they are shown to spying on her, counting how many arrows she shoots every night);
. the idea that the super power White Dragon mutant should be protected by regular people that possess no power is absurd;
. the White Dragon mutant wonders when and for what purpose he will use his power, but those musings are nonsensical, considering the fact that for countless generations such powers were not used for anything at all, and it would be the first thing that people of the tribe would learn since being very little. It is impossible to imagine that the mutant would think about such things in an adult age, unless he is insane;
. the White Dragon mutant says that his right arm is ten times stronger than normal one would be as an explanation why he is able to carry the wounded main lad, but it makes no sense since other parts of his body are regular, and carrying heavy weights depends on the strength of shoulders, spine, buttocks, legs that are not super powerful at all;
. apparently, the group of travellers want to kill the wounded main lad: instead of making a basic stretchers, they had the White Dragon mutant carrying the lad over his shoulder, which in such situations makes death due to the blood loss very quick;
. the travellers have made another attempt to get rid of the princess, when they went away from her in the maze-cave, leaving the suicidal princess entering unknown part of the cave. If they would care for her, the more so considering her mental diffecency, they would always have her in the middle of the group, never in the back or in the front of it;
. during the talk with a pirate leader woman the princess and her pals have a collective amnesia attack so they forgot to say that she is not completely useless since she has practiced archery. Then the pirate woman, given the amount of information she had, reasonably states that the princess would be useless in the fight, despite hating the bad city boss, which is not enough. Then she has got that the princess still wants to fight, the pirate woman also has an amnesia of what she has said just now, and gives the princess a dangerous task to "prove" her "resolve", even though has nothing to do with the fighting skills. This all is completely ridiculous though since no one bans the princess from fighting the bad city lord, she does not have to go through the stupid test by a sea criminal. She and her mutant pals could handle the bad guy on their own, so this whole plot is makes no sense, absurd. By the way, the woman pirate brazenly lies to the princess, saying that her man that usually gets the wonderful medicine is injured, hence the pirates can not have it. She has a Green Dragon to jump around and get the medicine: no one else is needed. Whole drama about is absolutely fake, including the annoying heroic speeches the princess makes and the other platitudes;
. the woman pirate claims that she and her team has attacked the evil city lord for years, but she is lying since a single ship would have been long destroyed if that would be the case;
. a small squirrel is shown to betray its master and switch to be attacked to the princess, which is unlikely;
. Green Dragon is shown to jump to distances like a kilometer, what would require a force many orders of magnitude bigger than that of human. And yet White Dragon's arm is only ten times stronger than human; makes no sense;
. when Greed Dragon lands onto a roof after his giant jump, he somehow does not destroy it, which is not believable, considering his weight and speed;
. the princess continues with the short-sighted nonsense that her father followed, putting the kingdom into demise, by affirmatively asked the pirate woman that, surely, saving women from being sold is a priority over defeating the evil city lord;
. the pirate woman talks about winning without kills, which is absurd;
. the princess and her pals want her to get killed since they "forget" that her uniquely red hair are known, recognizable;
. the princess tells other slave trade prisoners that she and her pals will try to save them, but it is suicidal since slave traders usually have a person among the captives who informs them about what happens in exchange for a promise to sell her to a better, kinder owners;
. whole scheme of the princess and the lad getting on board of a shipt that transfers captives females is unnecessary since it would be perfectly enough to have Green Dragon mutant just watching on which ship exactly they will board, and then describe the specifics of the ships to Blue Dragon who would identify it from a long distance. No need to carry out this risky operation with the fireworks;
. the princess is shown in pain after harming her leg, and yet she is depicting walking straight right after that, what would be impossible. This means she is faking it for now reason due to probably her mental illness;
. the princess is shown stealing the gunpowder from a lad right in the front of the slave traders that all of sudden have frozen;
. instead of shooting at the evil city lord right away, the princess holds a dramatic pause;
. the new killer-king meets the princess, but instead of killing her as he has tried many times before, he all of sudden decides to spare her life, which makes all of his previous actions and crimes basically useless;
. the princess loses her mind again as she runs crying to the pirate woman whom she only knew for few days;

MUSIC/SOUND/VOICE ACTORS:
. the show has a couple of strong melodies, which is a rare thing nowadays;
. the voice for the youngest lad, Yun, is chosen properly: even though he is voiced by an actress, not by an actor, the voice fits the age and character, unlike most of the cases when actresses do not sound boyish at all.

MUSIC/SOUND/VOICE ACTORS:
A deeply nonsensical tactical plot where authors were too lazy/incapable of making the characters anything but maniacally murderous towards each other, suicidal or otherwise mentally ill. But the show does have some quite clever elements, and there is some character development of the main heroine. This project overall deserves a "Good" rating.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Max, I really despise every post you make with the utmost intensity.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

Now, now Chiibi, it is obvious he really liked the show. If he didn't he wouldn't have spent so much time taking notes and analyzing it. Cool
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Max, I really despise every post you make with the utmost intensity.

Laughing

And the winner of the 2016 "My God, I Couldn't Agree More with this Statement" goes to...
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Come on guys (and gals), I find Max's posts to be often kinda funny, no offense.

P.S. Max gave the show the same rating as I did: "good". Why does that feel so bizarre?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy his posts, even though I very rarely agree with any of his points. I mean, lines like, "This means she is faking it for now reason due to probably her mental illness" is golden. Very Happy If there's one thing to be said for Max's posts, he's generally consistent in his views.

The only poster I routinely Rolling Eyes at is that "America, f**k yeah!" guy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I agree Max South's posts are a treasure trove of "found" humour, but it's the kind of humour I'd prefer remained lost.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
He must be a brave soul, everything he sees is disappointing and badly flawed. I wonder how he soldiers on.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Do I have to address every stupid statement in that post? Because I am doing it.

MaxSouth wrote:
. the idea of Chinese-mythology inspired stories of royal dynasties and wars for ascension are nearly beaten to death, so the show does not get points for originality; the success of such project depends on how well it is executed;

It is Korea, not China.

MaxSouth wrote:
. this specific story about a reverse harem with the dragons has been done few times already; it looks like it gets redone nearly every decade;

I am not familiar with any.

MaxSouth wrote:
an airhead female lead with no character, always victim of circumstances, a damsel in distress that, of course, stumbles in the series at least once;

She has a character, she believes in her father making the country peaceful, but is otherwise somewhat spoilt, and pines after a noble relative she spent her child with and may be a suitable suitor. She starts out weak as a princess in luxury likely would be and grows into a strong character through the series, she does not stay a damsel in distress.

MaxSouth wrote:
the spoiler[evil] prince tells that his childhood friends never knew real him, but it makes no sense since they were literally children when they have met and became friends; in such early age children are not capable of building anywhere convincing pretence persona as depicted in this show in the flashbacks, they are real in that age;

Through a number of years they grew up, where he lost his father, he has been hiding a side of himself from her, and thus she did not know him. You don’t need to take “never” as literal of him not hiding himself before his father was killed.

MaxSouth wrote:
the princess is a sociopath as she is shown thinking about her failed love instead of her spoiler[father that was just killed] in the front of her eyes;

She has a lot of conflicting emotions, both her father and lost love were parts of her “character”, her love was her plan for the future and thus with it gone she is lost.

MaxSouth wrote:
main characters are made to be really dim, make absurd, suicidal decisions, maniacal in always trying to kill each other (more on that below). They all are either meant to be locked up to a mental institution, or to prison.

I have no idea where you are getting this, they are intelligent enough in their own areas, humans can sometimes make rash decisions that make sense to themselves, and I don’t remember them trying to kill each other. Also no institutions or mental health care in ancient Korea.

MaxSouth wrote:
the way this show is done indicates that it should have been 12 episodes, not 24: it drags too long, too much of petty cutesy talks and pointless scenes that do not move the story forward;

That “cutesy talk” is character development, is essentially the main driving force of this anime that starts with a weak princess and ends with a somewhat strong leader and warrior.

MaxSouth wrote:
irritating "flashforwards", overly long and almost useless flashbacks to the childhood of the main heroes;

The very beginning of the series is a promise of how things will develop. And how can we understand a character without knowing what built them to be who they are.

MaxSouth wrote:
it is not believable that the court has allowed two sexually mature youth to be around the princess; in reality, only females or castrates would be allowed near her;

One is her cousin and quite likely suitor(probably not uncommon for the setting), and the other is no also no mere citizen, is a childhood friend and has essentially been given the duty of bodyguard now and for the future.

MaxSouth wrote:
. the spoiler[evil] prince all of sudden was able to gather impossible number of spoiler[conspirators against the king] within his court and its guards, that it does not seem believable at all, considering how peaceful and kind the image of the king was in court (not to be confused with king's image among commoners);

If you paid attention, it is his peaceful and kind nature that has damaged the kingdom, and is the driving force gaining conspirators who are not happy with how things are. Add onto the fact that a number of people suspect that he killed his brother who would have been a “stronger” king.

MaxSouth wrote:
annoyingly unbelievable deus ex machina plot vehicles such as huge fire starting accidentally in the front of people just because of a fallen candle (never happened in the castles as such fires get quickly extinguished if people are around);

Fire was largely to build up suspense of chaos through the scenes, a common point in visual media, and I don’t remember it causing much physical problems.

MaxSouth wrote:
dramatic reveals and explanations to the vanquished enemy, instead of immediately killing him as it would happen in real life;

Not sure what this is about, but you complain about sociopathy elsewhere and call out character no brutally kill someone that is already defeated.

MaxSouth wrote:
during the fleeing from the castle scene a young lad gets show by an arrow, but does not fall even for a second, which is ridiculous since the impact that an arrow makes on the body is very significant (even if the wound is not mortal);

He is a very strong person.

MaxSouth wrote:
the evil prince drops the hunt for the fugitive princess and her guard because "they are outside of the castle, they can not do anything" -- it is ridiculously absurd as royals always were dangerous be they inside or outside castle since they would gather support form neighbouring countries, ask their armies for help, use mercenaries to get to their throne back, promising good rewards to those who help them. It is literally impossible to imagine that an usurper would ever use such argument as the cited one to stop the hunt;

Yeah, well this scene shows us that he too is conflicted, that despite his ruthless acts through all of this he backs off when they get out because maybe a part of his emotions convinced himself to let her live. She also ran into the forest where a spoilt princess like her would be pretty helpless. The chase continues for her when his emotions are probably not so much in play.

MaxSouth wrote:
the fugitives lose their minds and became suicidal as they decide to go to the bodyguards' home-town -- one of the places where the pursuers definitely target;

The hometown is one place they could tend to wounds, have some needed resources, and would be relatively safe because the pursuers cannot just enter the land due to it being one of the 4 most important tribes in the land. This also goes back to why he was allowed around the princess.

MaxSouth wrote:
the good lad character is presented as pertaining to the low class, but it turns out he is not as he is revered as a leader of the Wind clan;

He is not technically nobility enough to be an aristocrat, but his adoption into a family his allowed him the position close to the princess he has. What is your point?

MaxSouth wrote:
the villagers of the Wind clan are all of sudden unaware that the princess has uniquely rare red hair;

As far as I remember she is really publicly shown to the common people, and only aristocrat allowed into the castle might know of it. Her father was kind of notoriously protective of her.

MaxSouth wrote:
the idea that merchants sell water (let alone in quantities that would be enough for a whole tribe to live) is ridiculous, and yet this is what is offered as an excuse why the Wind tribe did nothing after its river was dammed by Fire tribe;

Merchants sell what makes them money, and is it really so strange that in a superstitious time that specific source of water might be prized that people would buy something otherwise so abundant? Merchants get word that a village needs water and they maybe could get some resources together. The wind tribe also does not want to start a war.

MaxSouth wrote:
Fire tribe attacked the merchants, and it has become known to Wind tribe. Nothing was said about the merchandise, so it should have been intact -- at least things like medicine. Yet instead of the medicine from those merchants, the tribe sends lad to some forest to buy the medicine there;

Some scouts, from the wind tribe could probably pick up what happen, but not able to get the “merchandise” which could be blocked by the fire tribe. Sending out a more able lone person covertly to buy some might be the best chance.

MaxSouth wrote:
while pretending to behave in a noble manner, the main lad apparently still wants the princess get killed as he ask the elder to keep her in the tribe, where she would be definitely found and killed by the new royal guards;

The fire tribe cannot enter the wind tribe without getting in a lot of trouble, probably also attacked by the other two tribes, and they don’t even know if she is there, if he was spotted elsewhere they would probably go after him instead, thus it would be safest there.

MaxSouth wrote:
even when the princess wants to leave the tribe, the main lad still wants to kill her, persuading her to stay;

Again, for a princess with zero survival skills and lower than normal wisdom, he sees it safer there.

MaxSouth wrote:
the elder gave a grandiose farewell speech to the princess about how Wind tribe would do anything to protect her while her very reason for leaving is that the tribe is not able to protect neither her, nor itself;

She does not want to impose on them, danger had risen because of her, and she wants to follow her friend, the one not trying to kill her.

MaxSouth wrote:
after leaving the tribe with the main lad, the princess went suicidal again as she did not cover her uniquely red hair to be easily spotted and reported to the government.

She is not exactly used to having to hide herself, she does not even entirely sure if her red hair is so rare since she spent her entire life the palace.

MaxSouth wrote:
main lads' fighting technique is all of sudden comparing to lighting, even though it is nothing similar, makes no sense;

He is fast, and hits hard and loud. Ancient Korea would not know scientific explanation of lightning, so Hak being the thunder beast is fine for maybe their thoughts on the phenomena.

MaxSouth wrote:
the Fire tribe lad pursued the pair to capture the princess, and yet his troops are shooting arrows at them, wanting to kill her;

He is not exactly the most organised that he would thing that arrows would be best not used for live capture, their new king did not even express it out very well. And it was actually somewhat effective against the master naginata wielder.

MaxSouth wrote:
arrow pierces the main lad, but he pulls it off, what is due to the form of arrowhead impossible to do without taking out a huge chunk of the body and causing deadly bleeding;

It would depend on the head of the arrow, which I am not sure if we got a good look.

MaxSouth wrote:
the princess apparently is not too much against if the main lad would die since she finds time to perform a dramatic stare at a Fire tribe lad pose right at the time when the main lad barely hangs over cliff;

It might have only been just a moment, but with him suddenly seeing the hidden potential inside Yona it might have felt much longer, and that was what was conveyed.

MaxSouth wrote:
the main lad, who is, among other things, a great archer, teachers the princess that a good archer is able to aim at targets with his/her eyes closed, which is ridiculous nonsense;

Well as a good archer he has high expectations of skill, and even more having the princess not think a little bit of skill would be enough for her to put herself in danger, so he puts on ridiculous expectations of skill.

MaxSouth wrote:
the princess practices archery during the nights, which is absurd as you can not aim properly in the darkness. Even if you are busy travelling, there are always breaks when you could practice. Besides, travellers are dead-tired by evening, so there is just no way the princess would wander in the woods during the nights anyway; her pals would not be able, too (in the anime they are shown to spying on her, counting how many arrows she shoots every night);

Well, despite giving her a bow he was not really expecting her to make herself really useful with it, so she is probably not being given the level of training she is aiming for. She is trying to match his tough expectations, so practicing at night when aiming would be hard would be fine with her, and she wants to show that she can pull her weight, so practicing by herself instead of bothering her protector makes sense.

MaxSouth wrote:
the idea that the super power White Dragon mutant should be protected by regular people that possess no power is absurd;

Well you so arrogantly just called him a mutant, could you maybe understand why regular people with no power might be scared of him and try and hurt him, thus the protection?

MaxSouth wrote:
the White Dragon mutant wonders when and for what purpose he will use his power, but those musings are nonsensical, considering the fact that for countless generations such powers were not used for anything at all, and it would be the first thing that people of the tribe would learn since being very little. It is impossible to imagine that the mutant would think about such things in an adult age, unless he is insane;

Specifically learning his backstory shows that gaining his power was not free of pain, and thus why considering a purpose for him gaining that power would be on his mind. That is that he somewhat inherited the search for purpose.

MaxSouth wrote:
the White Dragon mutant says that his right arm is ten times stronger than normal one would be as an explanation why he is able to carry the wounded main lad, but it makes no sense since other parts of his body are regular, and carrying heavy weights depends on the strength of shoulders, spine, buttocks, legs that are not super powerful at all;

Well he is not a mutant, it is magic dragon powers and not a mere large strong arm, so although a lot of his body is normal, the nature of the power provides traits to make use of his power.

MaxSouth wrote:
apparently, the group of travellers want to kill the wounded main lad: instead of making a basic stretchers, they had the White Dragon mutant carrying the lad over his shoulder, which in such situations makes death due to the blood loss very quick;

I guess stretches would be unwieldly while white dragon power provides extra carry capacity on person. I don’t think the whole thing requires that much thought.

MaxSouth wrote:
the travellers have made another attempt to get rid of the princess, when they went away from her in the maze-cave, leaving the suicidal princess entering unknown part of the cave. If they would care for her, the more so considering her mental diffecency, they would always have her in the middle of the group, never in the back or in the front of it;

What? They were not trying to get rid of her, they simply got separated, and she is not dumb or worth being called mental deficient. And the true nature somewhat calls fate that she would meet these dragons for her to show she is their master.

MaxSouth wrote:
during the talk with a pirate leader woman the princess and her pals have a collective amnesia attack so they forgot to say that she is not completely useless since she has practiced archery. Then the pirate woman, given the amount of information she had, reasonably states that the princess would be useless in the fight, despite hating the bad city boss, which is not enough. Then she has got that the princess still wants to fight, the pirate woman also has an amnesia of what she has said just now, and gives the princess a dangerous task to "prove" her "resolve", even though has nothing to do with the fighting skills. This all is completely ridiculous though since no one bans the princess from fighting the bad city lord, she does not have to go through the stupid test by a sea criminal. She and her mutant pals could handle the bad guy on their own, so this whole plot is makes no sense, absurd. By the way, the woman pirate brazenly lies to the princess, saying that her man that usually gets the wonderful medicine is injured, hence the pirates can not have it. She has a Green Dragon to jump around and get the medicine: no one else is needed. Whole drama about is absolutely fake, including the annoying heroic speeches the princess makes and the other platitudes;

Although she is somewhat good with a bow, she is a woman and is unusual to join a real fight, even if their boss is also a woman, it would probably be considered that the fragile nature would be a liability and distraction for the rest of the men. The test was purposely kind of unfair and beyond what would be expected of men, but the boss thought that to make up for other things a fellow girl would have to show such resolve. Of course it was not like Yona was needed for the medicine to be retrieved, but she had to show that she is not just talk.

MaxSouth wrote:
the woman pirate claims that she and her team has attacked the evil city lord for years, but she is lying since a single ship would have been long destroyed if that would be the case;

Well they don’t exactly have amazing warriors on their side to match the other side, so hit and run attacks to weaken the lord was probably the best they could do. With some capable warriors and a need to act, now was the time to go all out.

MaxSouth wrote:
a small squirrel is shown to betray its master and switch to be attacked to the princess, which is unlikely;

You mean “attached”? Sure he likes his master, but he also like Yona. He is not betraying his master by hanging around his master’s friends, they are a group. Also, comic relief.

MaxSouth wrote:
Green Dragon is shown to jump to distances like a kilometer, what would require a force many orders of magnitude bigger than that of human. And yet White Dragon's arm is only ten times stronger than human; makes no sense;

Same thing with white dragon, although most of their body is relatively normal, it still has traits to make use of the magic dragon powers. Also, rather than simply the forces of jumping off, I thought it representative of the power of flight for a dragon just as the hand gives the strength of a dragon.

MaxSouth wrote:
when Greed Dragon lands onto a roof after his giant jump, he somehow does not destroy it, which is not believable, considering his weight and speed;

What I said above about it not just being about force, but in manoeuvrability.

MaxSouth wrote:
he princess continues with the short-sighted nonsense that her father followed, putting the kingdom into demise, by affirmatively asked the pirate woman that, surely, saving women from being sold is a priority over defeating the evil city lord;

The women are the sisters, wives and daughters of the town people, protecting them is a priority. And she wants to show that some of the compassion her father showed was not completely useless over the rougher outlooks. That is not a negative point.

MaxSouth wrote:
the pirate woman talks about winning without kills, which is absurd;

If they can lower the death toll and show themselves more than just murderers, then all the better. It would work to not having them hunted down later.

MaxSouth wrote:
the princess and her pals want her to get killed since they "forget" that her uniquely red hair are known, recognizable;

Yet as said earlier, it is not so well known that just (in the show) it is the princess who has the hair colour, it simply got attention as a rare thing to sell. It was not even till later that someone who had spotted a bit before had actually remembered that fact.

MaxSouth wrote:
the princess tells other slave trade prisoners that she and her pals will try to save them, but it is suicidal since slave traders usually have a person among the captives who informs them about what happens in exchange for a promise to sell her to a better, kinder owners;

And you know the standard people trafficking methods of ancient Korea? I don’t think the lord gives two toots over promising better treatment for some in exchange for keeping an eye on the rest. As far as he is concerned, he is the law/god of the land, and a bunch of commoners are not going to be able to beat him.

MaxSouth wrote:
whole scheme of the princess and the lad getting on board of a shipt that transfers captives females is unnecessary since it would be perfectly enough to have Green Dragon mutant just watching on which ship exactly they will board, and then describe the specifics of the ships to Blue Dragon who would identify it from a long distance. No need to carry out this risky operation with the fireworks;

Having someone on the ship with the rest of the women would help to organise a rescue of the group. Also it may be no easy feat to recognise the ship girls are put on at shore as being out at sea at night, and they might even be transferred between the two.

MaxSouth wrote:
he princess is shown in pain after harming her leg, and yet she is depicting walking straight right after that, what would be impossible. This means she is faking it for now reason due to probably her mental illness;

I think you are the one with a mental illness, you make assumptions of faking rather than maybe through some mental fortitude and a constitution saving throw being able to recover enough to not be too restricted.

MaxSouth wrote:
the princess is shown stealing the gunpowder from a lad right in the front of the slave traders that all of sudden have frozen;

I don’t know what exactly you are talking about, but I am pretty sure it was a tense scene where they got lucky. Mus have rolled a good slight hand beyond passive perception.

MaxSouth wrote:
instead of shooting at the evil city lord right away, the princess holds a dramatic pause;

Again it is what I mentioned earlier about while it might have been just a moment, but to looking into her burning eyes it could feel much longer. Also she was making sure to have good aim. I guess adding an inspiration for an attack roll.

MaxSouth wrote:
the new killer-king meets the princess, but instead of killing her as he has tried many times before, he all of sudden decides to spare her life, which makes all of his previous actions and crimes basically useless;

And as mentioned earlier, he is also having conflicting opinions. He probably feels guilty that he would not blame her trying to kill him, and indeed she showed that she might really be able to do it, but she does not and she also not quite been drumming up military powers to take on the “king killer”. He might have thought that where it is him as a person, not an usurper who has ordered her to be killed to remove her as a threat, there was not much a point in him doing anything, especially since she did not act to kill him just then.

MaxSouth wrote:
the princess loses her mind again as she runs crying to the pirate woman whom she only knew for few days;

She might not have known her for long, but she is maybe the closest thing to a mother figure she has had in a long time, a role she offers to her men, and one she share with Yona.

MaxSouth wrote:
. the show has a couple of strong melodies, which is a rare thing nowadays;

Don’t have much to say beyond you maybe being a bit negative.

MaxSouth wrote:
the voice for the youngest lad, Yun, is chosen properly: even though he is voiced by an actress, not by an actor, the voice fits the age and character, unlike most of the cases when actresses do not sound boyish at all.

It is fairly common that women would voice younger boys when they put on a boyish voice. Also fits when he dresses as a girl.

It feels as a bad as Cinema Sins in these sorts of posts. Calling everything lazy, uncreative, or not making sense. When really writing the critique shows a boring outlook that providing a creative answer, a lack of appreciation for tropes that mean no harm, or a laziness to actually try and understand. I have watched things that are bad and have ranted about how bad they are and all of the problems, but at least doing so I have said maybe how they could have improved it, pointed out why tropes were there and why they were maybe not a good fit, and spelt my understanding of it all and try and not be a prick in calling everyone mentally handicapped or ill.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
Well done, DP! I'm not sure where you summoned the energy for the task, but I salute you. Ah, youth.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
the travellers have made another attempt to get rid of the princess, when they went away from her in the maze-cave, leaving the suicidal princess entering unknown part of the cave. If they would care for her, the more so considering her mental diffecency, they would always have her in the middle of the group, never in the back or in the front of it;

What? They were not trying to get rid of her, they simply got separated, and she is not dumb or worth being called mental deficient.

DP, this is Max's way of expressing sarcasm. And he's right in this case, that it's stupid for the group to let her go out in front if they're supposed to be protecting her. The President doesn't lead the way for the Secret Service through a potentially dangerous crowd.

Quote:
and try and not be a prick in calling everyone mentally handicapped or ill.

You can take PC offense at his word choices, but I don't think it's worse than calling her crazy or stupid, which are both insults as well. Good luck expunging those words from the language. At this point in time I haven't been convinced it's a problem to use such descriptors to insult people when they aren't behaving rationally or don't stop to think, as long as they're not actually mentally or emotionally handicapped. Well, aside from insulting people being a problem. Smile
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow it must be tough and painful to watch shoujo series where the main appeal are generally characters and relationships/interactions between characters for realism.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
OVA 3

A now full backstory of Zeno, and it was really sad the things he has been through. I really did cry. Managed to hold it in through his spoiler[time with Kaya], but when he meets spoiler[the young dragons and shown to still have adopted saying his own name], the tears flew. Zeno probably has the strongest (saddest) past, and gives strong meaning to being amongst them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Just watched the three OVA recently - really made me nostalgic for the show and wanting a second season. The OVAs gave great background, especially for Zeno. Wow, I had no idea the horrible fate he is afflicted with. Pretty heavy stuff. Cried like a wuss over his time with Kaya. Come on, second season...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 30