• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Kimagure Orange Road

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:45 am Reply with quote
In the 90's several anime series run through the European (and probably worldwide -except US-) airwaves. Dubbed, with Japanese name changed, OP replaced for local-languaged versions.

KOR was one of those. The moment they broadcast the anime's first episose was the beginning of their otaku life for several people.

As for the manga, well, it lacked the magic of Akemi Takada, but a great part of the story was still there. And Izumi Matsumoto make a better ending than the anime. He was in the Spanish Salón del Manga de Barcelona and then we learned about his illness.

If you can speak Spanish, there is a Spanish (European) edition, too. Unfortunatelly, publisher bankrupted and if lucky you can find some one in the bargains bins or through Ebay
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
Thanks for this review. It does capture the feel of its time about as well as anything I've seen -- the colors, the music, the fashions...those were my teenage years, too, so I'm easy pickings for KOR.

I have a memory of getting up early before work one morning (probably in the late 90s) to watch my just-arrived-in-the-mail-from-AnimEigo VHS cassette of "Kimagure Orange Road: I Want to Return to That Day." That movie blew me away. With the possible exception of "Windaria," I'd never seen anything as emotionally uncompromising as this in animation -- or even in 80's teen movies, since spoiler[even Ducky got a random consolation date] at the end of "Pretty in Pink."

After the movie was over, I had time for a walk in a park near the office, and I still remember that foggy morning, walking around the lake with the closing song still playing in my head, utterly bowled over by something incredibly sad, but also very true to life, and in that sense, very positive. I've heard a rumor that Matsumoto doesn't like it for what it did to his characters, but taken alone, I still consider it director Tomomitsu Mochizuki's masterpiece.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Quote:
Boku no Brassiere Island

I demand a full column on what is obviously a tragically overlooked gem.

The cover makes it look like it might surpass KORs brilliance.

Bagheera

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
I bought the Anime series when Animeigo put it on sale in the Mid 2000's. They were out of the boxes but I got the whole series and all three movies.

In the 90's my friend collected the VHS tapes put out by the same. I really love this series for the same reasons Jason pointed out. The yearning to return to that simpler time in life. And I also like the music and art.

I think I would enjoy the manga just as much.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I loved the Kimagure Orange Road manga. To this day it's one of the very few romantic comedy manga I can honestly say I like (Maison Ikkoku's melodrama got way too heavy handed for me after a while).

I only watched one episode of the anime (I didn't like it too much), but the music for it was great and Akemi Takada's illustrations for the series are gorgeous.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Morning: I'd say Maison Ikkoku jumps the shark with Nikaido. He's just a younger version of Mitaka.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Morning: I'd say Maison Ikkoku jumps the shark with Nikaido. He's just a younger version of Mitaka.

The Maison Ikkoku anime doesn't include Nikaido and even that's too long.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Got the KOR fansubs as it was being released by Arctic and NT-Anime, then got the AnimEigo LDs.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
KOR was the first non-mecha anime that I watched. I remember a friend of mine lending me a tape with the first four episodes taken from broadcast TV on it.

I was actually lucky enough to have a private conversation KOR's creator, Izumi Matsumoto at a friend's room party at Katsucon back in 2012.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
KOR is coming out at a good pace, one volume a week is what they planned. So far it is up to v.9.

I have been downloading the e-manga, they let you choose your preferred format, and reading it as it comes out.

I'm buying KOR in PDF as then I'm sure I'll be able to read it in the future, something that may not happen with the manga I have that use the ZQ Books reader.

I'm pretty much having to shift to electronic versions as having over 1,000 volumes of manga meant my shelves got overloaded several years ago.
one.night.bkk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
KOR is easily my favorite anime/manga of all time, which probably says far more about me than it should.

I only wish the anime (the first movie mainly) had used more of the manga elements for the finale- in particular the red straw hat.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
@Gilles Poitras

You inspired me to go ahead and buy the existing 9 volumes. Your mentioning that you can download a PDF version tipped the scale.

I have the Japanese hardback edition of KOR and a text translation, but that is a hard way to read a series this long.

A 1,000 volumes of manga isn't all that much. Very Happy
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
I LOVE Kimagure Orange Road. I was pissed when I found out that the last attempt to translate it for Kindle had just dropped off the face of the planet after vol. 2. "Guess it's back to tracking down Japanese editions, or scanlations..." Thank GOD for Digital Manga\eManga.com. The series is what, halfway done? Close, anyway. So glad to finally see it in English, even if it isn't in print. Now to bully Discotek into getting the rights to the anime and we're all set.

So what is it with all the aborted attempts to translate the series anyway? What old enemy of Matsumoto's has been hiding in the shadows the past 20 years conspiring against his success in America? Jason Doyama was forging a scanlated path with The KOR Project, until this happened. Capital City Distribution, purchasing, Matsumoto's name on the signature, all that cool stuff...never heard from again.

"Capital City Distribution"...failed. Viz ("old fashioned", "long", blah blah blah, spare me)...failed, was only a serious thought for like 5 seconds. "Facebook reader" attempt...failed. The Kindle attempt...failed. Digital Manga's attempt...has succeeded so far. HI-FIVE!

Anyhow, let's see..."Natsu no Mirage"...not a fan, I always thought it was boring. I far prefer "Night of Summer Side" and the 2nd OP, forgot its name.

I also disagree with the assessment that KOR is "innocent" with things like "cheek time", I interpreted their trepidation to be because the school thinks they're going to have wild romps in the hay after a night at the disco, that was implied to me. <_< I guess it's just that Matsumoto didn't want to be as big a perv as Toriyama, Kazushi Hagiwara (DAMN he's perverted), or Katsura would be.

Also, God bless Matsumoto, hanging in there with that awful condition of his. Very cool guy, and I'm glad he didn't forget about us...

So anyway Jason, wanna write up my favorite KOR parody next...U-Jin's "Angel"? <_< (HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE)
Maokun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
I never got to get into KOR back in the day, even though I heard lots about it. However, I remember clearly the gorgeous watercolour illustrations of Akemi Takada released along with the anime. The cover of the movie's soundtrack might very well be one of the most beautiful pieces of anime art I know.
DCR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
I watched the series, movies and checked the manga. The only thing I felt after all that is Hikaru was a victim of Kyosuke's weak personality and Madoka's lies. Laughing

I'm glad I'm not the only one. She was a total bitch with Yusaku, but I liked her and felt bad for her.

Another similar victim was Kozue in Maison Ikkoku.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3