• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Time Is It, Anyway?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schaef Dogg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So I'll turn this one over to the forums... Guys, where are some completely unexpected places you've seen anime pop up over the years?

My brother's 7th grade social studies book.
I lost the other image, but Yu-Gi-Oh was mentioned too.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
The strangest rating for me is for Aria.

The Rightstuf release of the anime is given a 13+ rating. When ADV released the manga it was given a 16+ rating and Tokyopop gave it a 13+ rating. Aside from the fact that the girls wear modest swimsuits in one episode, there's not a single swear word, violent scene, or fan service moment. Anyone know what I'm missing? Are there floating penises that I just don't see or something?

I think it's a case of "Avoiding a Dreaded G Rating" effect. Aria could easily be rated ALL but they think it will probably scare off older viewers who might see it as a children's show.

I've seen the same ratings bump in Funimation's release of .hack both had TV-Y7 on Cartoon Network but now are TV-14. Although there is a nude Subaru in shadows but it's really nothing graphic.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
When ADV released the manga it was given a 16+ rating

Hmm? The version that was in my middle school library of volume 1 was rated "ALL", which I assume means for all ages. And it was published by ADV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
I think it's a case of "Avoiding a Dreaded G Rating" effect. Aria could easily be rated ALL but they think it will probably scare off older viewers who might see it as a children's show.

The only classification decision I have seen that just made me go... eh?

http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/Results.aspx?q=FLCL&t=lfc
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
I've got a question for everyone. Since I've seen American filmmakers and tv producers will at times show their favorite anime,are there Japanese filmmakers and producers who do the same thing for their favorite American productions? I hope someone will tell me.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I've got a question for everyone. Since I've seen American filmmakers and tv producers will at times show their favorite anime,are there Japanese filmmakers and producers who do the same thing for their favorite American productions? I hope someone will tell me.

You, uh, might find a reference to an American film or two in an anime somewhere if you squint hard enough. Quick example: the interfaces Seele uses to communicate in Neon Genesis Evangelion are inspired by the monoliths from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:

Hmm? The version that was in my middle school library of volume 1 was rated "ALL", which I assume means for all ages. And it was published by ADV.

The three volumes that ADV Manga released are rated "ALL."
It was Tokyopop that rated it "16+."

I never understood that either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
CatSword wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:

The three volumes that ADV Manga released are rated "ALL."
It was Tokyopop that rated it "16+."

I never understood that either.

Sorry for the mistake. I donated my copies to a school so I don't have them on hand anymore. Thank you for clarifying.

I'm glad that others didn't find anything "adult" in it either. I like an MA show as much as the next girl, but the label seemed rather strange. I kept wondering if the symbols on their dresses meant something dirty that I just didn't get.
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
As for anime is odd places - (apologies upfront for not recalling specifically) - currently there is a national (USA) car TV commercial (can't recall the make) with buzz words about speed and innovation. Typically it has numerous fast cuts and about half way through it there is a half second clip from an anime that to me appears to be Red Line.

Anyone else seen this?
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I've been hearing that an upcoming episode of Gravity Falls will feature the character Soos playing a dating sim. I'm a bit apprehensive about how they'll handle dating sims on a kids' show.

There's also Mabel's imaginary boyfriends, and I think she even says they're from a Japanese cartoon in one episode.
dlm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

You, uh, might find a reference to an American film or two in an anime somewhere if you squint hard enough.

-snerk-

One of my favorite AMVs combined Black Lagoon with Black Betty. I do not know if linking to it would violate any forum rules (by the letter, I think it would) but it is quite easy to find on YouTube.

There were numerous and blatant references/homages to both Terminator movies as well as The Matrix.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
And Cowboy Bebop is full of them. Even the movie had a shot of a poster advertising Law & Order (apparently still in universal syndication in 2071!).
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
You, uh, might find a reference to an American film or two in an anime somewhere if you squint hard enough. Quick example: the interfaces Seele uses to communicate in Neon Genesis Evangelion are inspired by the monoliths from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

An even better example of a reference to 2001 is the scene between "Eliza" and Haru in Shirow Masamune's Real Drive. It takes place in an all white room reminiscent of the one Keir Dullea ages in at the end of the film. At one point Haru's young friend Minamo appears in a suit that also harkens back to 2001. Eliza herself is a pun on the ground-breaking computer program ELIZA written by MIT computer scientist Joseph Weizenbaum.

Uchuu Kyoudai is full of references to American movies about space. The scene where the astronaut candidates hold up a ping-pong ball by blowing into a tube was taken straight from The Right Stuff. Later one of the brothers covers the moon with his thumb as Tom Hanks does in the movie Apollo 13.

In Kill la Kill there are a couple of "easter eggs" for viewers of American films, in particular a reference to Pulp Fiction. Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai parodies a variety of well-known American films like Terminator and genres like noir thrillers.

On the subject of Tatami Galaxy, that was streamed by Funimation as part of its deal with FujiTV to license noitaminA shows. House of Five Leaves also fell into this category. It's streamed for free on YouTube but never appeared in any other format or location. Shows like Kuragehime which fell under the same license were eventually released on disc when there was sufficient demand.
Suena

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
The wildly inconsistent ratings were the first thing that baffled me about otakuverse. One of the first anime I watched was rated PG, but had several scenes in a strip club. The Ooku manga has an "explict content" warning on it, though it has basically no violence, very little nudity, and a handful of extremely brief non-graphic sex scenes. The most it has is a few floofy "she didst intercourse with him" conversations.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
The volumes of Ooku I read were pretty graphic due to their rape references.

The House of Five Leaves was licensed for home video by NIS America.

As for American cultural references in anime, there are tons! Just look at Space Dandy--it has references to Star Wars, ET, High School Musical, and more!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6