• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Time Is It, Anyway?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So I'll turn this one over to the forums... Guys, where are some completely unexpected places you've seen anime pop up over the years?

I have a good one: a picture of girl-type Ranma Saotome in a bikini hiding the Ultramar logo on top of a gas pump in the 1999 music video for the song "L'homme 7:up" by the Quebec band Les Respectables.

A mini-poster for Final Fantasy VIII is on the other gas pump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
dlm wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Just for the record, both Seasons of Strike Witches got an MA15+ rating here in Australia. Although I assume the movie will probably get an M rating since I don't recall any bath scenes.

Isn't that just plain funny? It's fine to show people bleeding nearly to death, it's fine to show battalions of soldiers getting blown up, it's fine to show psychological situations where someone is thrust into a situation where people are dying and it is your job and responsibility to protect them and if you screw up then it is their blood on your hands and did I mention you have no friggin' clue what you are doing except what some people told you might work?

That's perfectly fine.

I am not saying that I entirely disagree, I just find it funny what people find to be disturbing. As someone above pointed out, X anime has a swear in it so it has to be restricted. OMG words! Words that anybody who was ever a kid knows that kids will use more than an angry sailor, [b]because[b] they are restricted...
The weird thing is I've been hardwired to react more strongly to sex than violence thanks to society.

In Mirai Nikki senseless violence and people getting murdered is commonplace and easily brushed over. Sometimes they even attempt to make it look cool. But then it gets to the gangrape scenes and suddenly they focus on it in explicit detail and portray it as something really horrible. I'm not saying that gangrape is 'good' in any way but murder isn't really much better if at all. And in a show where many of the characters you're supposed to sympathise with have murdered countless innocent people for little to no reason it's kind of weird.

CatSword wrote:
Don't even get me started about Azumanga Daioh being MA15+ in Australia
*shudder*

That reminds me of a much more recent occurrence. Atelier Totori got a PG rating back when it came out for the PS3 but the Vita port got an R18+ for 'References to sexual violence'.

Although on the topic of Lagrange Australia gave Season 1 an M rating and Season 2 a PG rating. Which is much more appropriate than what Viz did in the US.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote
Iliketacos wrote:
Like lens flare, people love to overkill lens flare! Laughing

Anyone else seen the "Nerawareta Gakuen" movie? It demonstrates clearly that J.J. Abrams is still but a padawan learner when it comes to lens flares.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I've got a question for everyone. Since I've seen American filmmakers and tv producers will at times show their favorite anime,are there Japanese filmmakers and producers who do the same thing for their favorite American productions? I hope someone will tell me.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is pretty much loaded with references to Western media.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is pretty much loaded with references to Western media.

Also from Gainax: FLCL has a couple shots with South Park art.

Another example of anime-stuff-in-an-unexpected-place: I was walking down the street in a small, rural-ish town in Japan around 2004, when something caught my eye: an AKIRA movie t-shirt. This was incredibly out-of-place, because almost no one in Japan goes out in anime t-shirts except small children. On top of that, AKIRA was old, old news in Japan by that point.

Then my eyes went up to the face of the man wearing it.

A foreigner.

Yup Smile
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
That reminds me of a much more recent occurrence. Atelier Totori got a PG rating back when it came out for the PS3 but the Vita port got an R18+ for 'References to sexual violence'.

Yeah, now that the OFLC's got that R18+ for games they seem to want to slap it on everything. For example: Fable, which was rated M just nine years before, got an R18+ on its rerelease for "Sexual activity related to incentives and awards".

The award for sexual activity in the game? A baby. Seriously, that's all you get for having sex. Rolling Eyes

By that logic, The Sims should be R18+. (Wait, no. Don't give them any ideas!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
IIRC the first Fable game was rated MA15+. Still dumb though. Albeit not as dumb as slapping an R18+ on the same game that can be easily been purchased by 8 year olds on another console.
bigcathead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
In reference to ratings, I used to work support for Netflix (who didn't limit on anime ratings at all). Somewhere out there is some pissed off 9 year old from when I went through his queue with his mom "Yeah Elfen Lied, probably not appropriate for your kid".
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know what this column's title refers to?

Re James Franco's body pillow in 30 Rock, I assume it was an original design for the show, but being "crappy looking" doesn't make it inauthentic. I remember watching a documentary about Japanese sex dolls, and one guy's doll (which he took to the park for photo sessions and claimed to be in love with) was awful, like a bad imitation of a bad 80s chibi idol, in yellowish ageing rubber. Anyway, the body pillow didn't look nearly as awful as that. Possibly James Franco (TV version) was just incurably old-school in his tastes.

mierin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Talking about seeing anime pop up in unexpected places...

I once watched a ladies gymnastics competition a few years ago where one of the gymnasts used anime BGM for their floor exercise routine. If I'm not mistaken it was Tsubasa Chronicle's Break the Sword of Justice.

I was really into Kajiura Yuki at that time, and I was a big fan of the Tsubasa manga (though not so much the anime), but I instantly recognized the song being played Laughing

Was not expecting to hear that tune in a sports competition. And the gymnast wasn't from Japan, I think she was European.

Last edited by mierin on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

He let his waifu go out in public in just her underwear? Kumiko should have at least worn a trench coat or something decent!
YeNguyen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
In Pitchforky music circles, I'd say that one of the most famous outside-of-anime-culture anime references is the cover of punk rock band Big Black's masterpiece, Songs About F**king (the original title isn't censored). You can see that album cover here on Wikipedia (SFW).
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The House of Five Leaves was licensed for home video by NIS America.

When you posted this I realized that very item was sitting on the shelf in my living room!

Also on the subject of ratings, I'm especially puzzled by the "M" rating given Dennou Coil in Siren's release. This is a show about ten-year-old kids that was produced by NHK for its Educational service and aired in family-viewing timeslots. Whatever "violence" there is takes place in a virtual reality world, and none of it is gory or excessive. What the heck is "M" about Coil? It would be sad if this rating deterred parents from buying a beautiful show about children and technology.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
I'd assume it'd be to Whose Line is it Anyway?, the game show where it's all made up and the points don't matter(or didn't - I'd presume he had the Drew Carey version in mind, though apparently CW's created a new American edition).
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
mierin wrote:
Talking about seeing anime pop up in unexpected places...

I once watched a ladies gymnastics competition a few years ago where one of the gymnasts used anime BGM for their floor exercise routine. If I'm not mistaken it was Tsubasa Chronicle's Break the Sword of Justice.

Hehe... some of Yuki Kajiura's music was also used in the Beijing Olympic games.

I'd still recommend seeing Yuki Kajiura live - YK Live vol. #10 "Kaji Fest" was a great 5 hour / 53 song long show:

http://canta-per-me.net/live-events/2013-yk10-kaji-fest
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6