• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Time Is It, Anyway?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Also on the subject of ratings, I'm especially puzzled by the "M" rating given Dennou Coil in Siren's release. This is a show about ten-year-old kids that was produced by NHK for its Educational service and aired in family-viewing timeslots. Whatever "violence" there is takes place in a virtual reality world, and none of it is gory or excessive. What the heck is "M" about Coil? It would be sad if this rating deterred parents from buying a beautiful show about children and technology.

I've noticed that before; I think the "supernatural themes" may play a part in it. The OFLC are particularly sensitive about that, to the point where Supernatural, a show targeted at young teens with some occasional fantasy violence, a bit of language and innuendo, gets an MA15+ for the supernatural themes.

What I don't get is the complete series of Chihayafuru being rated M for "coarse language". Even the fansubs didn't go above "damn" and "hell", both of which would be allowed at a PG. M-rated coarse language is normally F-words, slurs, sexual body parts, etc. If Siren put any of that into the subs of Chihayafuru I'd have to scratch that off my list of anime DVDs to import.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
What I don't get is the complete series of Chihayafuru being rated M for "coarse language". Even the fansubs didn't go above "damn" and "hell", both of which would be allowed at a PG. M-rated coarse language is normally F-words, slurs, sexual body parts, etc. If Siren put any of that into the subs of Chihayafuru I'd have to scratch that off my list of anime DVDs to import.

Perhaps they take offense at the innuendo in many of the love poems in the hyakunin isshu?
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
CatSword wrote:

Perhaps they take offense at the innuendo in many of the love poems in the hyakunin isshu?

Considering they gave FLCL a G rating, I think a bit of wink-wink-nudge-nudge wouldn't be a big deal. (Though the first set is PG for, among other things, "sexual references", but I figure that was for the brief joke about Taichi's pubes the guy who runs the karuta place made.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of when the people in my school's anime club saw the Australian Nichijou release and were shocked to see it had an M rating. I later told them that the Australian M rating isn't as harsh as the US release, but its still interesting how over here getting that rating means 17+ while over there I take it that its more of a PG/14 equivalent.

PS. Even though the article has been out for a while, I just have to say I love the Strike Witches thumbnail pic.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
If Siren put any of that into the subs of Chihayafuru I'd have to scratch that off my list of anime DVDs to import.
I'm 90% sure the subs are probably from CR or some other source. Although the OP and ED are subbed so I'm not 100% sure exactly where it came from.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I've noticed that before; I think the "supernatural themes" may play a part in it. The OFLC are particularly sensitive about that....

Lots of classic stories for children have supernatural themes. I see a movie with witches and talking animals, Cinderella, nevertheless gets a G. So does Sleeping Beauty. I can't find an AU release for Snow White, but if it exists, I'd bet it is rated G as well.

Though there are supernatural trappings in Dennou Coil, the actual mechanisms are not. I guess the ratings board saw the ofuda and shrines and assumed it was supernatural? If so, they certainly weren't paying attention to the story.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Gantz may be racy and gory, but it's not R18+ material when you consider the fact that Elfen Lied, Rin: Daughters of Mnonyense, and Puni Puni Poemy all slipped by with an MA15+.

I don't remember all that much about Gantz, but I do remember it being the first TV anime I'd seen with full-on sex in it. I think it would probably be the only one to this day if it weren't for Yosuga no Sora.

yuna49 wrote:
Though there are supernatural trappings in Dennou Coil, the actual mechanisms are not. I guess the ratings board saw the ofuda and shrines and assumed it was supernatural? If so, they certainly weren't paying attention to the story.

Black ghost-like apparitions, be they digital, pulling your "soul" out of your body is pretty supernatural, and there's also a couple of conversations with dead people.

The Australian M is a recommendation rather than a restriction, essentially a stronger version of PG - the summary for both starts "Not recommended for children under 15".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6