• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girl Friend BETA (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote

Girl Friend BETA (TV)

Genres: romance
Themes: school

Plot Summary: A TV anime adaptation of the Girlfriend (Kari) a mobile game where players can have girlfriends through playing the game. -MAL

Promo Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fS29q-Fcbo4
----------------------------------

There are so many characters in this series LOL. I already lost track how many but it’s based on a mobile game which I heard is quite popular in Japan. The promo video doesn’t tell much except that there will be enough characters to top this season in terms of casting.

This is also produced by Silver Link (the other series is called Bonjour: Koiaji Patisserie this season). This should be amusing to watch with this many characters Very Happy

[EDIT: Thread and link renamed to be consistent with official English name. - Key]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:
I think this might have romance in it but so far felt a bit more on the slice of life side to me. Overall, there are a lot of girls in this series and that means a lot of talented voice actresses. I hope I see some of my favorites throughout the course of this show soon if not already.

The OP song was girly but overall fits the mood. Idk what to think of this tbh yet. I think I'll have to watch more to decide my impressions but so far, those girls are cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
nothing happened. just alot of girls with high profile voice actresses in 23 min.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
nothing happened. just alot of girls with high profile voice actresses in 23 min.

That is the point of the show, there is a main cast and a large slew of side characters which the show swiftly glossed over, arguably the opening episode could have been executed better but if the show is "about nothing" then this first episode went off without a hitch.

There are series that do the "nothing happens" set up better, Non Non Biyori comes to mind, I found the interactions charming in GF however noticeably forgettable to the exampled, yet at the same time I couldn't name all the events that occurred in NNB even though I enjoyed it as a side series at the time.

It is an issue of expressing mild interest in the mediocre, and this series probably won't be the one sited for this type of genre and yet it ,so far, probably won't be a negative experience.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I know that was the point. I was just commenting on it since there wasn't much else to say
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, even I found it pretty dull. It just doesn't seem to have an overall point. Non Non Biyori was about life in the country side, K-ON was about a light music club, this show is about... high schoolers doing... stuff. Doesn't help that they throw so many characters at you, three of whom look extremely similiar. Didn't even illicit any big laughs or anything.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
to me it seemed like this show is just for people to get their cute/adorable fix.

Also yea.... I honestly couldn't tell if there was 3 blondes chicks or just 2. As far as I could tell they might as well have been triplets from France.

But while nothing was really great about this show... I am happy that it doesn't seem to be about 1 dude choosing between 20 different girls. If it remains just cute and adorable slice of life stuff I could see my self sticking around.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

The OP sounds pretty cute. A loli teacher with pink hair refering to someone as Kamijou, why does that sound familiar?

And the fact that this is somehow classed as a romance, and that it is not a yuri, is a crime. All these blushes, cute character designs, food sharing, and even a spoiler[kiss on the cheek]. You're not being fair anime! Anime smile + sweatdrop This totally feels like Sakura Trick without the fun stuff.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The OP sounds pretty cute. A loli teacher with pink hair refering to someone as Kamijou, why does that sound familiar?

She'll shatter that illusion!
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a sweet anime.
It's pretty relaxing too.
Kinda sucks you right in.
Still, it's all girls and that's not my thing.
Gonna skip it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
If I were eating this and not watching it I would probably have gone into full glycemic shock by the end of it.

Kokomi has nice wide hips -- a good low center of mass is an asset for a gymnast.

Girls working out in leotards -- it works for me. I'll stick around for a few more episodes to see if anything interesting happens.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
Non Non Biyori, just like Jinsei, or Azumanga and so on and so on were also 4-pannel manga, setup, punchline, move on. This series is quite different. I'm not sure where it is going. Is this going to be a yuri harem, a romcom, or is it going to sucker punch us, half way through the next episode with a serious plot, and giant mechs?

Well, granted the last isn't all too likely. After thirty years, I'm pretty good at sniffing a series out on its first broadcast without doing a wiki search on a series, I just am not familiar with which is pretty much most series based on a dating sim.

In retrospect, maybe the mechs wouldn't be a bad idea. Regardless, something better start happening pretty damn soon, cause when you hit your forties, time is money, and right now, this cash cow ain't paying.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this episode more than the first, even if it's a typical "girl who looks great thinks she needs to lose weight" plot. And really, I think we all know where exactly all the weight is located Wink
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Ep: 2, errr... it is an episode about a girl whose real issue isn't about if she is or isn't fat it is the nature that she has a blatant self esteem issue and said issue is never honestly touched upon.

The good news is that at least she is not being bullied... or this could turn into a very sad and dark set up.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I enjoyed this episode more than the first, even if it's a typical "girl who looks great thinks she needs to lose weight" plot. And really, I think we all know where exactly all the weight is located Wink

not just her, all of them have the Most Common Superpower. it's extra powerful with France
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2