• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: This New Breast-Grabbing Oculus Rift Demo Is Quite the Handful

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
Oh come on Japan I love you but shit like this is why you have the pervert stereotype.

Humans are by nature, perverts. It's how we've been able to survive as a species this long. Interest in procreation and the opposite sex is hardly bizarre. It's whether or not people choose to be open with their sexuality.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Wow, keep up the weirdness Japan. Laughing

That's why we love them, they're not PC (for Pansycore) about anything.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Monster Hunter wrote:
Oh come on Japan I love you but shit like this is why you have the pervert stereotype.

Humans are by nature, perverts. It's how we've been able to survive as a species this long. Interest in procreation and the opposite sex is hardly bizarre. It's whether or not people choose to be open with their sexuality.

Okay well guess what fondling a virtual program's tits doesn't really help in the process of procreation.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Monster Hunter wrote:

Hey so long as they don't blow a gasket when we give them a whistle! Laughing
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'm so roneryyyyyyyyyy...

Seriously though, God forbid an otaku be forced to confront a woman who is, y'know, confident in her sexuality.

This really bugs me too. You see it all the time in otaku stuff, theres this beyond creepy fetishization of a woman's discomfort. It's like they are mentally incapable of imagining a woman actually wanting or appreciating them even in a fictional setting, so the vast majority of h-material feature rape or at least some indication that the girl doesn't want it.
It makes me a little ill, to be honest.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Seriously though, God forbid an otaku be forced to confront a woman who is, y'know, confident in her sexuality.

This really bugs me too. You see it all the time in otaku stuff, theres this beyond creepy fetishization of a woman's discomfort. It's like they are mentally incapable of imagining a woman actually wanting or appreciating them even in a fictional setting, so the vast majority of h-material feature rape or at least some indication that the girl doesn't want it.

Well, looking at it from a psychological standpoint, isn't it just a projection of one's desires to be in a position of power over others, usually to make up for one's lack of power in real life?

It's a really common fantasy and it isn't limited to just sex. Being able to order people around, getting revenge on those you hate, etc... Fiction allows you to act out your fantasies without having to deal with the social contract and the fear of repercussion.

It's pretty much why violent video games are so popular. I highly doubt a game like GTA would sell well if it was just a reflection of real life - working a 9 to 5 job as opposed to robbing a bank with a minigun. Are people who play these games incapable of behaving properly in day to day life? Of course not.

The thing to remember is that all this is FICTION and shouldn't be confused with REALITY. I don't understand why people have so much difficulty differentiating between the two.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

The thing to remember is that all this is FICTION and shouldn't be confused with REALITY. I don't understand why people have so much difficulty differentiating between the two.

Hey so long as people don't have a problem with Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Cool
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
And people were worried we wouldn't get stuff like this when Facebook took over.
I believe its the other way around. Oculus wasn't built with that in mind but you leave these guys to their on devices too long, boob grab simulators are born.

There are a bunch of sex games now for the unity engine.

championferret wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

You heard of the "SHE-taxi's" ? Its a comfort thing. People get desensitized quick.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
While I don't think that it should really exist, part of me, presumably one that gets out less even than the other parts, wants to see what would happen if somebody used this to create a dick-grabbing simulator.

championferret wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

That's what creeped me out about this, as it does with many things, too. Making a breast-grabbing simulator makes me roll me eyes, but I just move on. Making it about groping woman so they react with distress and discomfort is something I'm less sanguine, but more disdainful, about. It's something that I find profoundly unpleasant, as well as the opposite of sexy. (not that I find the idea of grabbing a woman's breasts particular in abstract) It projects an image of 'sexual' experience in which the pleasure is only one-sided, almost reliant upon its target having an opposite response and being denied sharing the pleasure. It worries me a little that it's such a pervasive theme, because I feel like that beyond a certain point it's more than a common kink and something worrying that has larger, deeper social roots.

Of course, for me it's hard to imagine a breast-grabbing game that does portray a mutually positive experience, at least not without more substance and content than I'd expect from something like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
It's something that I find profoundly unpleasant, as well as the opposite of sexy. (not that I find the idea of grabbing a woman's breasts particular in abstract) It projects an image of 'sexual' experience in which the pleasure is only one-sided, almost reliant upon its target having an opposite response and being denied sharing the pleasure. It worries me a little that it's such a pervasive theme, because I feel like that beyond a certain point it's more than a common kink and something worrying that has larger, deeper social roots.

While I won't begrudge you of your opinion, would you say the same thing for games that involve the killing, robbing and subjugation of others? Don't players revel in the slaughtering of fellow human beings when playing such games? Shouldn't the NPCs be given a fair trial or at least given a chance to repent before adequate judgement is passed?
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

While I won't begrudge you of your opinion, would you say the same thing for games that involve the killing, robbing and subjugation of others? Don't players revel in the slaughtering of fellow human beings when playing such games? Shouldn't the NPCs be given a fair trial or at least given a chance to repent before adequate judgement is passed?

I think there is a big difference in one virtual reality killing some dark lord of evil, killing some drug lord, or fighting a war to conquer some country. Then you have a game where you are fondling the breasts of a girl who CLEARLY does not want you doing it. This is basically one small step from virtual rape of that character. There is a major problem with that.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
There is another element to this that some do believe is that rape is so much worse then any of the things you bring up. Rape, which again this game is one small step into becoming, is far for more emotionally and mentally crippling. Rape is all about power over the victim and showing that you can dominate that person so much that no matter how much they don't want it you will do it. Rape is a constant living thing with that person they must deal with for the rest of their living days. Rape is not some small thing that should not be jokingly talked about or played through on a game.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Seriously though, God forbid an otaku be forced to confront a woman who is, y'know, confident in her sexuality.]

It seems like the definition of otaku shifts radically depending on the context. In one thread otaku self inserts are spineless wimps who can't even see a girls boobs without freaking out, and being dominated by violent tsunderes and yanderes is their fetish, and now otaku are lecherous predators, groping and asserting their dominance on helpless females instead.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
I think there is a big difference in one virtual reality killing some dark lord of evil, killing some drug lord, or fighting a war to conquer some country. Then you have a game where you are fondling the breasts of a girl who CLEARLY does not want you doing it. This is basically one small step from virtual rape of that character. There is a major problem with that.

What is this major problem? Please elucidate that claim.

Monster Hunter wrote:
There is another element to this that some do believe is that rape is so much worse then any of the things you bring up. Rape, which again this game is one small step into becoming, is far for more emotionally and mentally crippling. Rape is all about power over the victim and showing that you can dominate that person so much that no matter how much they don't want it you will do it. Rape is a constant living thing with that person they must deal with for the rest of their living days. Rape is not some small thing that should not be jokingly talked about or played through on a game.

So, can I joke about murder then? Just kidding.

In all fairness, I do agree with you to a certain extent. I do believe that rape and murder are horrendous crimes that I would not wish on anyone, even my worst enemies... in real life.

However, once you begin censoring what can and cannot be said within the context of fiction, that's just censorship and thought policing. It might be distasteful, insensitive and objectionable to some, but I do not see any merit in controlling the thoughts and speech of others. A joke is a joke, no matter what it's about.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
Rape, which again this game is one small step into becoming, is far for more emotionally and mentally crippling.

So, one might think that equating squeezing a gel pack to actual rape is doing a great disservice to the people who are actually dealing with the aftermath of that crime...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3