• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: This New Breast-Grabbing Oculus Rift Demo Is Quite the Handful

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Monster Hunter wrote:
Rape, which again this game is one small step into becoming, is far for more emotionally and mentally crippling.

So, one might think that equating squeezing a gel pack to actual rape is doing a great disservice to the people who are actually dealing with the aftermath of that crime...

Okay sorry I meant to say virtual rape because as I said this game is one step away from virtual rape. You can clearly see in the video the virtual girl does not like what he is doing. In a game like this if the objective is to forcefully grope an unwilling female's breast the only step left the game can take is for full on virtual rape. This is not right to play a game where you are forcefully in essence one step away from raping the girl. This is the reason the game Rapeplay is banned everywhere even Japan where it was made it is the only step this game can take is to rape the virtual girl.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Seriously though, God forbid an otaku be forced to confront a woman who is, y'know, confident in her sexuality.]
It makes me a little ill, to be honest.

It seems like the definition of otaku shifts radically depending on the context. In one thread otaku self inserts are spineless wimps who can't even see a girls boobs without freaking out, and being dominated by violent tsunderes and yanderes is their fetish, and now otaku are lecherous predators, groping and asserting their dominance on helpless females instead.

Those are just two halves of the same coin, though. The clear implication is that the only way this particular group of people is able to confidently handle interactions with females is if they are placed in a (usually disturbing) position of power. When you look across the overall late-night anime landscape, just how many examples do you see of protagonists in relationships where they're on an equal footing with their partner? Not all that many, I can tell you. Either they're freaking out over boobs and getting the crap kicked out of them, or else they're in full-on creeper mode. And that's only amplified when you get into the doujin fandom...if I see the phrase "Noooooo i-it's embarassing!" uttered one more time, I will legitimately punch someone.

Actar wrote:
The thing to remember is that all this is FICTION and shouldn't be confused with REALITY. I don't understand why people have so much difficulty differentiating between the two.

But here's the thing: fictional media are often (if not almost always) shaped by the experiences of the author and/or society as a whole. They frequently serve as a reflection of reality, and occasionally go so far as to help shape that reality. Just as one example out of many, the popularity of first-person shooters in the US is at least partially derived from our pervasive gun culture, and the long-standing myth of the "lone cowboy" taking down all the baddies. Now I would never suggest that "video games make people violent," if for no other reason than I'm an avid gamer myself, but there is certainly an aspect of our culture that these types of games represent, and it's no stretch to say that people with preexisting violent tendencies will probably seek them out.

So what does that have to do with anime? Simple: Japan is a country with a pathetically-low birthrate and resulting demographic crisis, an entire generation having difficulty with societal strictures and expectations, and a significant percentage of said generation living with untreated mental disorders. So when I look at that chain of hugging pillows to boobed mousepads to straight-up assault simulators, all with the overarching theme of finding one's submissive little waifu, excuse me if I raise an eyebrow.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
A few hundred thousand otaku being weird sexless nerds doesn't explain why the tens of millions of so-called normals aren't screwing each other either. You could have guys and gals who loathe otaku and anime, and they're still not having kids. This is more of a result of stringent sexual separation in Japan rather than a cause of it.

Not everyone in Japan is an otaku.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Whenever someone tries to say Japan's population problem is somehow the fault of otaku, or dating simulations, I assumed they were being fictitious. The idea that some odd thousand individuals are somehow the reason why a country of over 100 million has a low birth rate was too absurd to take seriously. I'm to believe people who say this are actually being serious when they think anime and visual novels are the root of society's problem? Rather than all the studies which show it's a social problem relating to women focusing more on work rather than starting families, as well as the rise of casual, marriage-less sex? That's interesting.

Top Gun wrote:
Those are just two halves of the same coin, though. The clear implication is that the only way this particular group of people is able to confidently handle interactions with females is if they are placed in a (usually disturbing) position of power. When you look across the overall late-night anime landscape, just how many examples do you see of protagonists in relationships where they're on an equal footing with their partner? Not all that many, I can tell you. Either they're freaking out over boobs and getting the crap kicked out of them, or else they're in full-on creeper mode. And that's only amplified when you get into the doujin fandom...if I see the phrase "Noooooo i-it's embarassing!" uttered one more time, I will legitimately punch someone.

Basing your assessment on anime would be like basing an analsyis on American married life on Family Guy, The Simpsons, and any other sitcom where the husband is an overweight irresponsible manchild who is not on a equal footing with his wife.

The reality is a straight relationship makes for boring viewing experience. Having one love-interest reluctant or resistant leads to more conflicts and interesting storylines. Imagine a harem where the guy picked a girl in the first episode and was in a steady relationship with her. It'd be pretty boring when the point of the show is all these women coming onto him which is where the comedy stems from usually. Looking into cartoons too seriously isn't the best way to judge a society.

-Stuart Smith
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
...so people are just flat-out ignoring the entire second half of my post, then? I explicitly said that fiction frequently serves as a reflection of reality. In other words, these types of characters and situations aren't the cause of the greater issues Japan is facing, but they're certainly representative of them, i.e. they mirror the general long-term relationship dysfunction going on. Obviously otaku represent a small percentage of the overall Japanese population, but given their proclivities, one would expect that "mirroring" to be magnified somewhat, which is what we're seeing. If you want a more widespread example, how about the huge popularity of idol groups, which represent a crazy-unrealistic ideal of chaste femininity?

Quote:
The reality is a straight relationship makes for boring viewing experience. Having one love-interest reluctant or resistant leads to more conflicts and interesting storylines. Imagine a harem where the guy picked a girl in the first episode and was in a steady relationship with her. It'd be pretty boring when the point of the show is all these women coming onto him which is where the comedy stems from usually. Looking into cartoons too seriously isn't the best way to judge a society.

That's just an excuse for awful writing. Some of the greatest works of romance ever have dealt with primarily-monogamous relationships, and I could rattle off a number of anime series that have done the same: Eureka seveN, Cross Game, BECK, Planetes, I could keep going here. If you can't write a decent love story without chucking a half-dozen girls into the fray, then quite frankly you have no business writing anything at all.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
Actar wrote:

While I won't begrudge you of your opinion, would you say the same thing for games that involve the killing, robbing and subjugation of others? Don't players revel in the slaughtering of fellow human beings when playing such games? Shouldn't the NPCs be given a fair trial or at least given a chance to repent before adequate judgement is passed?

I think there is a big difference in one virtual reality killing some dark lord of evil, killing some drug lord, or fighting a war to conquer some country.

What if the game character is all weak and crying, begging for her life, cowering with fear in her eyes
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
First the computer generated woman avatar was programmed that way, and unless you believe that Tron is reality, the program has no thinking on the matter.

Rape is common in literature, and in some cases can be quite detailed, leaving nothing to the imagination. If there is such a disapproval of fictional rape, then maybe we should start having book and video burnings. I understand some things can be of poor taste, but these are eye of the beholder things, unless we want an autocratic society to protect us from all things in life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3