• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Gurren Lagann on Blu-ray Singles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
It'd be irresponsible budgeting.

Beautifully said. And that's truly the root of the problem here. It's not that we can't afford this stuff. It's that we literally have to give up too much per month just to enjoy it. At that expense, it needs to be some kind of premium item.

If the quality of AoA's releases is anything to go by....premium, they are not. :<

treatment wrote:
I think ANN should just simply stop covering Aniplex stuff to avoid the constant pricing-shenanigans drama about their titles...

Now that's just nonsense.

Zac wrote:
I didn't ask you for your consultation on how to handle that as forum administrator. Continue talking about Aniplex and this release all you want, this isn't up for debate nor do I need your advice. This line of discussion is closed.

You didn't ask, yet you got it free of charge! I'm nice like that. But honestly though, there's no need for that hostile tone of...text, I guess? I was merely standing up for a dude who I felt was getting a little bit bullied out of left field, that long history notwithstanding as I'm not really privy to it. You see a little girl getting harassed by some asshole, you want to jump in and help, right? Cause that's just what feels right, even if you had no idea that the little girl was a criminal mastermind and homicidal maniac beforehand.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
If the quality of AoA's releases is anything to go by....premium, they are not. :<

Well, there are a lot of fans who want to own their favourite shows on home video. So in a sense, just having the anime itself sitting on their shelves is worth the sort of prices AoA charges. I think angelmcazares (did I spell that right?) said something to that effect earlier in the thread.

However, I actually do agree with you that AoA's releases are a bit lackingwhen it comes to packaging and on-disc extras. I like looking at pretty postcards as much as the next person but I kind of want more from a release, you know? Sure, there are overarching reasons why AoA's prices are so high - usually to discourage reverse importation from Japan - but I would love to see more extras and a better quality box, you know?

I know why AoA doesn't do it; it's actually more like they physically are unable to. They only have five staff and so that makes it extremely difficult to change things or authorise and implement new extras. Their releases are basically carbon copies of the Japanese releases but with English text and sometimes dialogue on them. But it still would be nice to have a top-quality artbox rather than the medium-quality boxes that we get.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I get it. I'm one of those fools who misses the days of singles simply because of the superior packaging and contents (then again...I never really had to pay more than $15 for a single Very Happy ) But even when compared to their domestic releases, the ones stateside are just lackluster. And when they DO bother to bring over a respectably nice set...well...

Let's just say I'd be more inclined to buy a Nintendo Wii U. And like half a dozen games for the price of Fate/Zero alone. Confused
BL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
They abandoned them in 2010. FUNi released Baccano! in singles for example.
release#12731
release#14003

Oh and fun fact, with anime of all a sudden being much cheaper, sales didn't increase enough to offset that, and profits plummeted.
http://i.imgur.com/u6hVSjI.jpg

Let's not forget how stuff seems to sell today. I see various FUNimation LE's that are 1, 2, 3, and going on 4 years old that are still pretty easy to find, with some of those never having received an RE or a re-release.

Looking over your figure sales started declining in 2007 which is not surprising considering everyone in retail experienced the same thing. Lots of people started loosing their jobs or taking pay cuts during these time periods. Do you think the chart would have looked the same or much worst if high prices and singles continued in a bad economy? Personally your figure does not surprise me because if the big stores such as Walmart and Targert were suffering I am not surprise anime sales took a hit too.

As for Funimations LE sets still being able to find I don't think this means much yes it could mean poor sales but it could also mean they print a lot of copies. They do have LE sets that have been sold out along time too. Or do you believe the people at Funimation, Sentai, Viz and RightStuf do not know what they are doing by continuing with their price structures?

[EDIT: Please don't over-quote. -TK]
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Reading the headline got me excited since we were finally going to get a domestic blu-ray release. Then i saw the price, and wow, Aniplex really has the perfect formula to knock the wind right out of me. My excitement was quickly deflated. I might just have to pass on owning one of my top five favorite series. It's a shame that AoA continuously does this. I'll settle for my Bandai DVD sets for the time being and hope there's a more reasonable box set release down the line.

I don't understand AoA thinking on this though. Gurren Lagann is a older show. I'd say people in the US market hold Cowboy Bebop in higher regard, and yet, Funimation is releasing the entire series in a Collector's set priced for less than $100. AoA would move a lot more sets if prices reasonably.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
AoA would move a lot more sets if prices reasonably.

But if they did, the evils of reverse importation would utterly lay waste to the Japanese market and the industry would crumble into dust, obviously!

Seriously though, I suggest you buy the UK release: It's fairly priced and you get the entire series in one blu-ray box set. A multi-region BD player isn't cheap if you want a good one, but the price will quickly be accounted for with the next Aniplex title you purchase overseas or heck, with this one.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
I was merely standing up for a dude who I felt was getting a little bit bullied out of left field, that long history notwithstanding as I'm not really privy to it.
You can look at penguintruth's post history to see how inflammatory his comments can be. I don't mind disagreements, but a little more civility would be nice.

Edit-Sorry Zac, I missed your comment to not discuss this anymore.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Leland has a great point here: it's really sad that things are at the point where I have to stop and yell FUUUUUUUU when I realize a particular title was produced by Aniplex.
Huh, I feel the same way. I've never really been that much of an Aniplex fan to begin with (and stuff like this is certainly not helping), but when I found a series I liked by them it was fairly easy to buy at a good price. Now though anytime I see Aniplex is involved in something I cringe, and usually avoid it (except for special circumstances: Durarara on Adult Swim, all the Madoka hype, the fact that Vividred Operation was from the same people who did Strike Witches) cause I know the eventual home video release'll be too pricy for me. (I want to own Vividred, but every time I see the price I just can't bring myself to buy it. Especially when I could get Upotte and Busou Shinki for the same price. And that's one of their cheap shows!)
I was gonna watch Mahouka until I heard Aniplex was involved.(from what I hear about the series though it may have been for the best) I was looking forward to Akame ga Kill but I started hesitating when I learned that the ending theme singer's previous works were for Aniplex series. (thankfully, it was a false alarm, Toho's involved, and Sentai's got it. currently enjoying the hell outta that series). Luckily there are still plenty great non-Aniplex series produced, though I'm kinda sad that Aniplex seems to be monopolizing Yuki Kajiura and noitamina lately.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
So I'm enforcing the rule. Penguintruth gets a 1-month timeout.

I don't agree with your practices a lot of the time (not that you asked for my opinion though, of course), but I kind of want to thank you right now. A whole month free of inflammatory comments from Penguintruth! If you think he's bad with this topic, you should see his comments on practically EVERY Evangelion thread. Also, I'm still bitter about the two week ban. Although I'm probably just another user name in a sea of previously banned accounts, right?
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
Zac wrote:
I didn't ask you for your consultation on how to handle that as forum administrator. Continue talking about Aniplex and this release all you want, this isn't up for debate nor do I need your advice. This line of discussion is closed.

You didn't ask, yet you got it free of charge! I'm nice like that. But honestly though, there's no need for that hostile tone of...text, I guess? I was merely standing up for a dude who I felt was getting a little bit bullied out of left field, that long history notwithstanding as I'm not really privy to it. You see a little girl getting harassed by some asshole, you want to jump in and help, right? Cause that's just what feels right, even if you had no idea that the little girl was a criminal mastermind and homicidal maniac beforehand.

I like you.

Yeah, Zac can be pretty mean at times. But admin's have a lot of power and that can be intimidating. He once banned me for telling a bad joke. Really hurt my feelings. Crying or Very sad Actually, I also happened to be on a discussion thread similar to this one. And as you might be able to guess it was a dramatic mess. The difference was that was a comment section for a review of Kill la Kill. So banning people for getting too into the pricing debacle is understandable because it's not the focus of the article. But my post wasn't rude or inflammatory or anything. I was just expressing my dislike of it. I even said that I bought the dang release. That probably makes me hypocritical. All well, I can live with that.

But the guy you were defending has a tendency to be pretty, um... intense. So it was probably for the better. You do earn my respect for being kind to others though, if it means anything.
macattack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Luckily there are still plenty great non-Aniplex series produced, though I'm kinda sad that Aniplex seems to be monopolizing Yuki Kajiura and noitamina lately.

An Aniplex production on noitaminA is no guarantee it'll be an AoA product. Robotics;Notes and Zankyou no Terror are Aniplex shows but Fuji TV licensed them to FUNimation. That being said, Yuki Kajiura and Hiroyuki Sawano are indeed being monopolized by Aniplex lately (Aniplex looks really keen on preventing another Attack on Titan, which is a Pony Canyon product, in regards to Sawano). It's disappointing in their cases.

That being said, unless an Aniplex show has a TV network with equal or more influence on the project's production committee (which happens in noitaminA plus certain mainstream-ish timeslots in Japan), or is a "legacy" production like Black Butler, it'll wind up in AoA's hands automatically. That seems to be the general rule nowadays.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
@ kevinx59:

Their VividRed doesn't even subtitle the songs, so I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed to not be worth it, no matter who you are.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:

An Aniplex production on noitaminA is no guarantee it'll be an AoA product. Robotics;Notes and Zankyou no Terror are Aniplex shows but Fuji TV licensed them to FUNimation. That being said, Yuki Kajiura and Hiroyuki Sawano are indeed being monopolized by Aniplex lately (Aniplex looks really keen on preventing another Attack on Titan, which is a Pony Canyon product, in regards to Sawano). It's disappointing in their cases.

That being said, unless an Aniplex show has a TV network with equal or more influence on the project's production committee (which happens in noitaminA plus certain mainstream-ish timeslots in Japan), or is a "legacy" production like Black Butler, it'll wind up in AoA's hands automatically. That seems to be the general rule nowadays.

Yeah. Ping Pong as well I believe. That said, the fact that ever since Robotics;Notes the only non-Aniplex series on there is Psycho Pass 2, meaning most of the upcoming noitamina releases are gonna be pricy. (Silver Spoon, for example. not as bad as Lagaan but still quite a bit more than an equivalent Sentai release). Nanana and Flamenco are already licensed by Aniplex, and it looks like the upcoming A-1 series will be as well.

@Polycell I actually don't really care if the songs are subbed or not, as long as the series subbed, but yeah, that is a pretty shameful omission, especially for the price it is.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I was planning on getting the more complete GL BD set when it was announced but the lack of subtitled content kinda pushed it to the backburner. It's nice to see that this is another option (in my mind price is definitely worth it for the HD recomposite) but then again ZERO extras. I'm not quite ready for a rewatch yet anyway (last time through was winter '10)...I'll think about it for a while.

EDIT: sorry double post...ANN servers have been wacky lately max capacity or something??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9